Apple Numbers how to get column recalculate when precedent cells changed? to save hitting enter for each cell

I need help with getting column to update. Each cell has same formula does not update output when its input cell changed its output; each cell needs enter key to output new value.

I have to edit each cell formula and hit enter to get correct value?

iPhone XR

Posted on May 16, 2024 12:50 AM

7 replies

May 16, 2024 1:41 AM in response to SunnyInToronto

Formulas should recalculate automatically but I have seen INDIRECT formulas not update in normal tables once in a while for no apparent reason and I have seen and can easily reproduce a bug with categorized tables that use INDIRECT, OFFSET, or INDEX where they do not update unless categorization is turned off. Does any of this apply to your table/formulas? If not, what is one of your formulas that is not updating?

May 16, 2024 6:45 AM in response to Sunnyintoronto123

Is the data in a different table on the same sheet or on a different sheet? I've not yet been able to reproduce this problem consistently when I've seen it with INDIRECT. It will not work sometimes then it will clear up.

Can you post a screenshot that includes one of your formulas. Yes, I saw in your other post that you are having trouble posting images but you gotta figure that out if you want help here. Many things are more easily solved by seeing the actual spreadsheet and formulas.

May 16, 2024 1:02 AM in response to SunnyInToronto

Formulas should update automatically when their input values change. If they to not, maybe you can try the following methods.

Select a cell that does not significantly affect your data, and enter a simple formula (e.g., =1+1). Then, delete this formula. This action might prompt Numbers to recalculate all formulas in the sheet.

Alternatively, you can slightly modify the formula in one of the affected cells and then undo the change to force a recalculation.

May 22, 2024 9:32 AM in response to SunnyInToronto

I have a similar problem on the Mac. MacOS 14.5.

I have a cell that uses an "INDIRECT" function call that won't update on its own. I don't have a set routine, but if I click on the cell enough times and/or then hit RETURN it finally updates.

This is a hassle, and I see how it could be a CRITICAL FLAW for some use cases. (Just an annoyance for me in this case).

Apple Numbers how to get column recalculate when precedent cells changed? to save hitting enter for each cell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.