The best FTP client for mac solution

Recently I began to learn coding, and came upon the necessity of operating and transferring files via FTP.

Do you know if there is a build-in MacOS FTP client? Built-in solutions are usually not the most reliable, but maybe this is an exception. Or should I use a third-party app, I'd like to avoid experimentation and find the best method as soon as possible.

I thought it would be a good idea to reach out to the community for recommendations on the best FTP software, highlighting any interesting features and how they are utilized.

Thank you

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on May 16, 2024 5:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2024 1:29 AM

Sure, you may use the FTP client built in Finder until you encounter the need to upload files, which Finder can't do. Finder provides only basic functionality for viewing and downloading files. So here you can proceed to the choice of an FTP client. The variety of choice is huge.

I could list the pros and cons of each, but that's a bit out of the community. Getting to the point, I've used Commander One since I switched to Macs 6 years ago. The people I know who work in big multimedia projects and transfer huge files also use Commander One

I also like FileZilla. used it a few times and liked it. Features didn't match Interarchy but it seemed solid.

[Edited by Moderator]

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2024 1:29 AM in response to slavak8

Sure, you may use the FTP client built in Finder until you encounter the need to upload files, which Finder can't do. Finder provides only basic functionality for viewing and downloading files. So here you can proceed to the choice of an FTP client. The variety of choice is huge.

I could list the pros and cons of each, but that's a bit out of the community. Getting to the point, I've used Commander One since I switched to Macs 6 years ago. The people I know who work in big multimedia projects and transfer huge files also use Commander One

I also like FileZilla. used it a few times and liked it. Features didn't match Interarchy but it seemed solid.

[Edited by Moderator]

May 20, 2024 5:30 AM in response to slavak8

Let's cut to the chase, shall we?

What does The Oracle Of All Infallible Human Knowledge (AKA ChatGPT) say about this?

While macOS does have a built-in FTP client called Terminal

LOL! Terminal is not a built-in FTP client at all! Years ago, macOS did include a command-line FTP client. However, it's name was "ftp", not "Terminal".

it's command-line based and might not be the most user-friendly option for beginners. For a more user-friendly experience, you might want to consider third-party FTP clients. Here are a few popular options:

Actually it doesn't exist at all, which is really not user-friendly for beginners. But oh well, I guess we're diving right into the obligatory ChatGPT list of apps.

1. **Cyberduck**: This is a free and open-source FTP client with a user-friendly interface. It supports FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, Amazon S3, Google Cloud Storage, and more. Cyberduck has features like bookmarking, history, and integration with external editors.

I'm disappointed. I was really expecting a 20% discount coupon or something with an intro like that.

2. **FileZilla**: FileZilla is another free and open-source FTP client available for macOS. It has a simple and straightforward interface, supports FTP, SFTP, and FTPS, and offers features like site manager, bookmarking, and drag-and-drop functionality.

ChatGPT seems to really like those "free and open-source" apps. Wait, didn't you say that you "Recently began to learn coding"? Why? ChatGPT is going to put all programmers out of a job. We don't need no stinkin' programmers! All we need is a bullet-point list of results from a Google search!

3. **Transmit**: Transmit is a paid FTP client known for its speed and reliability. It offers support for FTP, SFTP, S3, and WebDAV, and features like dual-pane browsing, batch file transfers, and sync capabilities.

Yes, yes, yes....but how does it meet the essential FTP needs of programmers?

4. **Fetch**: Fetch is a straightforward FTP client with a clean and simple interface. It supports FTP, SFTP, and FTP with TLS/SSL encryption. Fetch is particularly known for its ease of use and reliability.

That sounds nice. Maybe I'll download Fetch if I ever find myself in 1985.

Ultimately, the best FTP client for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. You might want to try out a few different options to see which one works best for you in terms of usability, features, and compatibility with your workflow.

Well speak of the devil. Can maybe we get back to why anyone who is learning coding would actually "need" and FTP client?

May 21, 2024 6:32 AM in response to slavak8

slavak8 wrote:

I kindly ask you to keep your negative attitude to yourself, and show a little tolerance towards me and my endeavors.

When people warn someone that the thing that are trying to do (which is apparently unfamiliar to them) could possibly be dangerous, they are not expressing a negative attitude or "intolerance". They are giving you the benefit of decades of experience and knowledge. And you apparently came here for advice so why not consider it?

May 20, 2024 8:11 AM in response to slavak8

Some caveats: FTP is older than IP, incompatible with modern network designs and firewalls, and is wildly insecure.

The FTP protocol connection design can’t be better suited for slamming into a firewall, too.

Outside of maybe very entrenched and intentionally very isolated SCADA or factory floor networks, or the dumbest of isolated and embedded devices in the range between {XMODEM/YMODEM/ZMODEM} and {USB and Ethernet}, and those cases where I’m pushing files to a purpose-designed FTP dropbox, most any configurations using FTP nowadays are best considered somewhere between overly-expedient, and foolish.

There’s a reason Apple yanked most of FTP.

If you’re learning about programming here, I’d wonder what other shortcuts or omissions or errors might exist in the syllabus.

For those cases where FTP is absolutely necessary, I use Finder and a command-line FTP client (homebrew or macports or otherwise), and always assume the FTP password is immediately compromised. Yes, it’s that insecure.

I’ll flag this FTP risk to the folks running the FTP server too, as a form of coverage for my posterior. And will help the site get either ftps or preferably an sftp server going, if the folks running the server want that.

While sftp shares three letters with FTP, it shares little else. It’s vastly easier to get sftp through firewalls, and sftp is vastly more secure.

May 21, 2024 4:39 AM in response to slavak8

slavak8 wrote:

Thanks everyone for such a huge interest in my topic. I might have put the question a bit off the mark.

This need is caused by the fact that in future I will need to upload files directly to servers, and for this purpose use SFTP/FTP connection.

At this stage of my course, I would like to practice working with a good FTP client, so that in order to further work I would know how and what to do.

I kindly ask you to keep your negative attitude to yourself, and show a little tolerance towards me and my endeavors.

Thank you

You should be concerned, connecting your computer to a network that allows FTP.

May 21, 2024 12:16 AM in response to slavak8

Thanks everyone for such a huge interest in my topic. I might have put the question a bit off the mark.

This need is caused by the fact that in future I will need to upload files directly to servers, and for this purpose use SFTP/FTP connection.

At this stage of my course, I would like to practice working with a good FTP client, so that in order to further work I would know how and what to do.

Thank you

May 21, 2024 5:19 AM in response to slavak8

The ftp protocol is wildly unsafe, there is no denying it.

But as I understand it, we often use an expression such as "ftp client" in a broader sense; it does not mean that you're are actually going to use plain old ftp, but one of the modern substitutes.

I use Cyberduck on occasion, mostly to upload files to a server, but that is using sftp. It also supports other transfer protocols, like webdav or ftp-ssl.

As long as you use this program (or one of the others mentioned), with a safe protocol, there is no reason to worry.

May 21, 2024 5:39 AM in response to slavak8

I won't lecture you on how FTP is bad like the others have, because I understand that there are times where its the only option, or is fine for your use case. I don't really have a "best" but you can consider:

FileZilla: The ol' reliable. It doesn't have the prettiest of UIs, but it works, it's supported on all major operating systems, it's free and open source, and its very popular. (It also supports FTPS and SFTP)

CyberDuck: I've never used it so I can't personally vouch for it, but I'm aware it's held in high regard. It has a multitude of supported protocols (everything from FTP to S3). It's also free and open source.

Panic Transmit: The (insert luxury car brand) of FTP clients. It's quite nice, and has more features than you'll ever need (even if I do miss Transmit Disk), however that comes at a cost. It's $45 and only runs on the Mac.

The best FTP client for mac solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.