Why is Siri unable to play music from my Apple Music library?

When I updated my iPhone to iOS 17.5, Siri will not play music from my library that is on my phone. Previously all I had to say was "Play playlist New Stuff" and Siri would start playing the first song in the play list. I do not have an apple music subscription and shouldn't need one for Siri to play the music in my library. Now when I ask Siri to play music it says "Looks like Apple Music can't play that." I had this problem a year or two ago after a previous update. The solution was to add "from my library" to the request. After a later update I did not need to append with "from my library." The Music setting does have an option to "Show Apple Music" but I have it turned off. I toggled it on and off and still have the same problem. Why is this happening again? I've googled around but none of the solutions have helped. Does anyone know how to fix this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on May 16, 2024 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2024 6:56 AM

Made another call to Apple Tech Support (5/29/2024). Evidently, many have this issue. Because of all the calls Apple is aware of this. My guess is that there will be another software update to fix this Siri (music) issue.

18 replies

May 29, 2024 7:03 AM in response to MacUser_2001

As a last resort I decided to wipe my phone and reinstall everything from scratch. Usually, that’s what Apple support will try and make you do. That did not fix the problem so it’s definitely an iOS issue at this point. My other iPhone that I didn’t not update to 17.5 still works as it should. I guess it’s a waiting game until they release a fix.

May 18, 2024 7:37 AM in response to MacUser_2001

In reference to the “looks like Apple Music can’t play that” issue, I spent the last three days on the phone with Apple support, unable to resolve the issue, so I created a workaround using the Shortcuts feature where I say “Siri, play playlist” it opens up my list and begins reading all 540 playlist titles, but if you interrupt Siri with the title you want it will immediately start playing it - I set the final function of the shortcut to “repeat all” and it plays until you stop it or repeat the shortcut for another playlist. It’s not perfect but, if like me you don’t want to reset all your data and permissions, it’s a workaround that retains the same functionality and safety while driving and trying to remain hands free. I sincerely hope this helps anyone who needs a fix until the next update corrects this issue (if ever).

May 16, 2024 5:54 PM in response to MacUser_2001

I am having the exact same issue. I do not have a music subscription just music I have put on my iPhone.

Right after updating to 17.5, when I ask Siri to play a playlist “Looks like Apple Music can’t play that” pops up.

When I ask Siri to play an album, sometimes it will do that but Siri doesn’t speak anymore like before.

If I asked to play the album Left of the Middle, Siri would repeat the name of the album and say playing now or something like that.

I have a feeling Apple is doing this in order for you to pay for Apple Music and I refuse to do that at the moment.

I have bought and paid for too much music to have to turn around and pay Apple a monthly subscription to play it.

May 16, 2024 10:59 PM in response to MacUser_2001

iOS 17.5 update did the same for me, the first time I've encountered this problem on iPhone SE 2nd gen since purchase in 2020.

I note that it is only the "playlist" command that generates the error, not "play" artist or music.

Tried:

Hard boot.

Created new playlist on macOS and synced over.

Disabled Siri, hard boot, re-abled.

Deleted all music and app (General > iPhone Storage), added app again, tracks appeared though greyed out before syncing. Unable to sync from macOS, claims complete but not done. Hard boot. Same problem unable to sync. Greyed out tracks (all) when selected in app get song not in your library or not available in country. Removed all playlists from iPhone using macOS Finder. Then enabled and synced again this time sync completed. Problem remains only for playlist command.

Searching so far appears to reveal this problem is not widespread and no raft of solutions to try.

Emailed Apple.

May 29, 2024 9:44 AM in response to MacUser_2001

Same problem here, but in addition, I will tell it to call my wife (First and last Name) Then it says hmm I dont seem to have a number for (first and last name) who do you want to call? I then respond with first name only and siri says "calling First name last name". It's as if she has dementia. Can AI develop dementia? Very annoying.

May 30, 2024 7:14 AM in response to Bobulousprime

They still push the Apple Music subscription and it's irritating as "H". I am a long time Apple user and love the brand dearly, however I don't like "forced ads" on any level. I already have Sirius and have no use for Apple Music period. How many different ways can I turn down the offers? I do agree with you about the updates to fix issues. Apple is pretty good with that.

Why is Siri unable to play music from my Apple Music library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.