Pages EndNote Citations Disabled for Shared Documents

After a great deal of working with Apple Support, I found that I could, for some reason, actually insert "EndNote Citation" in a new document with the content from the old pasted in. Neither of us were able to figure out why it wouldn't work with the old. After the call, I did a little more fiddling and found that when I stopped sharing the old document, the "Document Body" option became selectable again (it had been grayed out but checked) and I was able to insert the citations.

My best guess is that this selection is disabled for shared documents because unchecking "Document Body" would delete all of the text by converting the document into a template, but it seems rather broken that this also means I am unable to use the insert "EndNote Citation" functionality. Again, this seems related to the fact that the citations can only be inserted with "Document Body" checked, but it should be doable if the shared document is not a template.

MacBook Pro (M3, 2023)

Posted on May 16, 2024 8:40 AM

3 replies

May 17, 2024 8:43 AM in response to goose000

I don't have any other information beyond that EndNote settings adjustment restriction, and in reality, it may additionally imply one cannot insert citations either. Only the Pages product team would know if that is true and they do not participate here. You can send them direct feedback from the Pages application menu.

The Pages EndNote Citation Insert menu item won't even light up without a compatible version of EndNote and Apple's EndNote Plug-in v3.3 for Pages installed — with EndNote needing to be launched before Pages.

May 17, 2024 8:01 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for the reply, but adjusting the EndNote settings isn't the problem. I can't insert a citation. That's a much bigger nuisance than not being able to adjust the settings. My guess is that the functionality loss is definitely a connected issue, but it should really be documented better, and Apple needs to add a functionality that tells you why a selection is not available, because that took an extremely long time to figure out.

Essentially, I have two issues:

1. I should be able to add citations to a shared document. Not being able to do so severely hinders collaboration.
  2. When I'm unable to do something, I should be able to figure out why very easily. (It did briefly enter my mind at one point that the collaboration could be related, but I dismissed it as making no sense.)

Pages EndNote Citations Disabled for Shared Documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.