What is the best way to add music to an old Ipod Shuffle?

Ok, so lots of questions here. But first, a little background.

I am not an apple guy. I almost never use it. So if some of my questions are silly, keep in mind that's why. I was going to email this to customer support, but I couldn't find an email. I only saw a recommendation for posting to this "Apple Community."

So my mother had an old Ipod Shuffle (4th gen) that she absolutely loved. Anyway, she lost it years ago and I got a used one online recently. (4th gen again) She was very happy! The problem I am running into is the fact that she has a Spotify account, but wants to have all her songs on Itunes so she can use her new Shuffle. Well I've researched this quite a bit and it does not seem like it's easy by any means (I also don't want to get banned from Spotify for using platforms that decode the songs.) At the same time I realized that Itunes still charges per song, which I'm not about to pay for each individual song...

That's when I came across Apple Music. My thinking is this; can I pay for a month of Apple Music and download all the songs I want to her ipod via Itunes and be done with it? What I mean is, if I stop paying after one month, will I lose the songs I downloaded in my Itunes library? From what I've read it's like spotify in the sense that I can download the songs to a device and listen offline. I literally just need to download the songs she has on Spotify and put them on her ipod and I would probably never have to download to the ipod again. If what I'm suggesting would not work, what else do you all suggest? I'm completely open to ideas.

Thank you so much in advance for your advice and wisdom.

Sincerely,

Not an apply guy trying to help his mom

Posted on May 17, 2024 6:16 PM

1 reply

May 17, 2024 6:31 PM in response to Boomalaki23ii

Boomalaki23ii wrote:

Ok, so lots of questions here. But first, a little background.

That's when I came across Apple Music. My thinking is this; can I pay for a month of Apple Music and download all the songs I want to her ipod via Itunes and be done with it?

No.

What I mean is, if I stop paying after one month, will I lose the songs I downloaded in my Itunes library?

Yes. When the subscription is cancelled, the songs will no longer work, and eventually be removed from the music library. But even beyond that, the songs on Apple Music, cannot be copied to an iPod Shuffle.

From what I've read it's like spotify in the sense that I can download the songs to a device and listen offline.

Yes, but only while you are subscribed. You don’t own those songs. You only have access to them while you are subscribed. Like a gym membership. You can’t sign up to a gym, and take the weights and treadmill home. You don’t own them.

I literally just need to download the songs she has on Spotify and put them on her ipod and I would probably never have to download to the ipod again.

Not really possible. Spotify like Apple Music is a streaming service. You don’t own the songs. You cannot copy the, to a device as if you owned them. They are DRM protected, and breaking the protection is piracy.

If what I'm suggesting would not work, what else do you all suggest?

Outside of buying the songs and albums, there’s really nothing legal we can suggest.

Not an apply guy trying to help his mom

Streaming services work the same way pon Windows and even Linux. Not specific to Apple.

What is the best way to add music to an old Ipod Shuffle?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.