Kernel Task without Task

Hey, i have a macbook air from 2017, which work like a charm for my usage, but yesterday when i started it, fan were full speed before the login page.

Kernel Task is taking all the processor...

I let it 15 minutes but no change.

I've rebooted it, doing smc and nvram stuff, removed start-up applications, rebooted it in safe mode (still full fan speed), done a clean with Onyx, and even launched the internet recovery where fan were still full speed.

Did a reinstall can make a change, or is there any other solution ?

Thanks by advance and have a nice day !

MacBook, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 19, 2024 12:55 AM

4 replies

May 20, 2024 1:40 AM in response to _OhCult_

A runaway kernel_task can be due to a number of factors, such as:

• a failed or disconnected temperature sensor
  • cooling system inefficiency (an inoperative exhaust fan on Macs so equipped, possibly clogged with dust, including the heat sink)
  • a worn out, missing, or non-Apple (user-installed) battery on portable Macs
  • similar hardware-specific causes including internal hardware additions or modifications, external USB and other connected devices, or the driver software required to use them.

If you can find no other explanation for its behavior, an SMC Reset is justified.

Given the additional details regarding an inability to select that Mac's internal speakers suggests a hardware fault may be the cause. Consider running Apple Diagnostics: Diagnose problems on Mac - Apple Support, although only two outcomes are possible: it will either report "no trouble found" when trouble clearly exists, or it will identify a specific fault that only Apple would be able to fix anyway. If you suspect that's the cause, then contact Apple using the Support link below.

May 19, 2024 5:14 PM in response to _OhCult_

Well, bad news, i made a blank reinstall, who was scary slow, and no change, kernel Task still take all the peocessor, and fan Is still full speed. (its absolutely not hot, either the Mac or the room)

But a lirtle detail, the popub of sound change is greyed, and in the settings the internal speaker are not shown, the only option is airplay of the apple tv....

Hope someone could have an idea, thanks a lot!

May 19, 2024 10:26 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks for your reply, I already read that page, I reinstalled Mac os from a fresh clean, but there is no change, full fan speed, everything is bugged, but activity monitor show nothing using the cpu except kernel_task.

I also have sound popup greyed, that I didn't 2 days ago when everything was working well, and in system preferences I can't get back to insternal speaker, the only choice is airplay to apple TV,

Thanks!

Kernel Task without Task

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.