Can't print to HP USB printer attached to local network

HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fn USB printer defined (using HP Smart and HP Easy Start) and working on iMac Sonora 14.5. system name Mac2023. The printer is set up with printer sharing and all users permitted to print.

HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fn @ Mac2023 defined on MacBook Pro Monterey 12.7.5. Printer definition was first set up (using HP Smart and HP Easy Start) with printer attached to MBP. When the printer is physically swapped to the MBP it works. When remote printer definition is showing Online/Offline when powered on and off on iMac, indicating that the printer can be "seen" by the MBP system.

When a print job is submitted on the MBP it goes on the print job queue but does not print. There is a message saying "Hold for Authentication."

(This arrangement was working fine when the printer was attached to my old iMac running High Sierra (!). I could print from the MBP.)

The problem seems to be that in the new set-up the Sonoma-attached HP printer is refusing to authenticate the remote print request. The following is from the iMac's system error log:

E [18/May/2024:14:10:33 -0700] [Client 513] Returning IPP client-error-not-authorized for Create-Job (ipps://Mac2023.local.:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M127fn) from [v1.fe80::1091:bb02:4cdd:f1c7+en0].

E [18/May/2024:14:10:39 -0700] [Client 514] Returning IPP client-error-not-authorized for Create-Job (ipps://Mac2023.local.:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M127fn) from [v1.fe80::1091:bb02:4cdd:f1c7+en0].

E [18/May/2024:14:10:39 -0700] [Client 515] Unable to encrypt connection: Unable to establish a secure connection to host (-9806).

From the MBP's error log: E [18/May/2024:14:10:39 -0700] [Job 13] Job held for authentication.

I have combed the Internet for possible solutions, but haven't found one. There seem to be a lot of problems with Sonoma and legacy USB printers, but when I first set up the new iMac, I *was* able to print from the MBP. But after I updated from Sonoma 14.4 to 14.5 things stopped working. Since then I have tried various things, which may have further complicated things. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted on May 19, 2024 2:59 PM

7 replies

May 19, 2024 4:22 PM in response to bw44

Is there a special reason for using USB printer sharing?

Have you instead tried to wire the printer by Ethernet to one of the LAN ports of a Wi-Fi router, with all client computers connected (wired or wirelessly) to this router?

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

By the way, the printer model in question appears to support Apple's AirPrint technology, which may make (Mac and iPhone/iPad) printing possible even without additional drivers/apps, provided that the printer and the Macs/devices are connected to the same network. One should perhaps not rule out that it is an older AirPrint/firmware version, though.

About AirPrint - Apple Support

Have you checked whether the printer has the latest firmware?

May 20, 2024 12:05 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan,

I appreciated your additional comments. According to HP documentation, the M127fn does NOT support wireless connection. Since the ability to print from a mobile device is not an essential requirement for me and would require using AirPrint via an Ethernet connection, I thought I'd see what might be done with my existing set-up.

This is what worked. On my client MBP running Monterey 12.7.5 I installed the drivers supplied by HP (https://updates.cdn-apple.com/2021/macos/071-46903-20211101-0BD2764A-901C-41BA-9573-C17B8FDC4D90/Hew... ) This meant that the driver on the MBP was probably not the same as the one installed by HP Easy Start. I then deleted the printer definitions on both the MBP and iMac and re-added them.

I also removed the "lpadmin -p HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M127fn -o auth-info-required=username,password" parameter and specified "lpadmin -p HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M127fn -u allow:all" on the iMac.

Which of the things I did actually made the difference I'm not sure, but at least it worked!

Thanks again for your help, and I'll keep in mind the possibility of adding an Ethernet switch should the need arise.

BW44

May 19, 2024 5:03 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan,

Thanks for your reply. I have not tried using the printer with Ethernet since I bought it long ago. It has always worked fine with USB. Since the current set-up I describe was initially working, I’d like to fix the problem I’m now having (if possible). (Also, I’m limited two Ethernet ports on the carrier’s modem/router and they’re in use.)

I may be mistaken, but I looked into AirPrint when it was first released and determined then that my HP printer did not support it. I’ll check again. (But doesn’t it require an Ethernet connection?)

I have not updated the firmware, but will try to do so. But I’d be surprised if this were the problem, since it’s been working until a few days ago. Also, from the error log it would appear to be a hand-shaking problem between the two printer definitions. I was hoping there was a more direct solution.

Cheers,

BW44

May 20, 2024 3:21 AM in response to bw44

Thank you for the information.

AirPrint may work with some printers via USB. However, (especially for an older AirPrint-supported printer) the standard method is a wired (Ethernet) or wireless (Wi-Fi) network connection. For the M127fn, this would mean an Ethernet cable connection to one of the LAN ports of a Wi-Fi router. The Macs (and any iPhones/iPads) could connect wirelessly to that router. Alternatively, the Macs could be wired by Ethernet.

Additional LAN ports can usually be made available via a separate Ethernet switch.

Also, a wired (Ethernet) network printer does not necessarily have to use the AirPrint technology (without additional drivers). It could be "normal" network printing as well, where drivers are used.

May 20, 2024 2:30 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan (and whoever may follow this discussion),

My solution worked until I rebooted both systems. Then the problem reappeared: when I print from the MBP the job was queued but stopped with the message "Hold for Authentication."

Entering the terminal command "sudo lpadmin -p HP_LaserJet_Pro_MFP_M127fn -u allow:all" on both systems allowed printing the MBP client.

I report this here only because if you have a problem with remote print jobs stopping with "Hold for Authentication" the above terminal command *may* correct the problem (substituting your printer name, of course). I haven't seen anyone else recommending this "fix", and it may not work for other printers. Good luck!

BW44

Can't print to HP USB printer attached to local network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.