Customer folder icons, either OneDrive or iCloud do not sync

Hi, are use custom folder icons to easily differentiate, different files and folders. I saw these mostly in the hierarchy inside OneDrive.

What I found is that when I synchronise these folders to the cloud, the custom icons are lost.

Through experimentation, I've determined that exactly the same behaviour occurs with file synchronised iCloud.

I've read some online documentation and posts that seem to indicate this is a result of changes that Apple made to the operating system a couple of years ago.

I really don't understand how this can be the case. My understanding is that the icon is included in meta data associated with a folder object, or file object for that matter. Can somebody please clarify exactly how this works

I've read that this custom folder data can be lost if an alias is used as this will result in problems if the synchronisation repository is on a different file path. I can confirm this is not an issue for me as both my laptop and my desktop Macs use the same folder hierarchy.

I'm grateful for any help or clarity that people can provide. Perhaps someone from Apple monitoring this thread?

It's a really basic function of Finder and I struggle with why would've been disabled.

Regards, Paul.

Posted on May 20, 2024 3:15 AM

1 reply

May 22, 2024 7:17 PM in response to palouis

My understanding is that the icon is included in meta data associated with a folder object, or file object for that matter.

The custom folder is stored in the Resource Fork of a hidden Icon? file inside the folder. It is in no way attached to the folder. For a file, that statement is true. I believe it is stored in the Resource Fork and that is likely why the icon for a folder isn't stored in the Icon? file itself but in the Resource Fork of the file.

Customer folder icons, either OneDrive or iCloud do not sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.