voice control start and stop listening, is there a keyboard shortcut

Can you help? I am looking for a a keyboard shortcut for voice control to start and stop listening

also is there a way to make it more obvious when enabled?

thanks!

Posted on May 20, 2024 6:04 AM

7 replies

May 20, 2024 12:46 PM in response to Griffiths415

Here is how to do it:

• Open the Shortcuts app and create a new shortcut by clicking the "+" icon.
  • Search for "voice" and add the "Set Voice Control" action. You'll then see the "Turn Voice Control On" in the left part of the screen:

• Click the word "Turn" in the action and choose "Toggle".
  • Click the "i" icon (top right.)
  • Click on "Add Keyboard Shortcut" and set a keyboard shortcut.
  • Close the shortcut.
  • Close the Shortcuts app.
  • You may need to reboot the Mac as occasionally the keyboard shortcut to the shortcut you just created may not work.

Now, every time use the the keyboard shortcut, Voice Control will will toggled between on and off.

May 20, 2024 4:32 PM in response to Griffiths415

One thing I forgot to mention is to run the created shortcut at least once from the Shortcuts app by clicking the ▶︎ button. If I recall, this may prompt you to authorize some security setting.

I'm not sure what you mean by "custom command." Have you tried to create another shortcut altogether for another purpose? If so, do not hesitate to post a brand new question specific to that subject so that other users – besides myself – may see it and help you.

May 24, 2024 9:05 AM in response to 6x6

Great, thanks again for the suggestion. I was able to create the shortcut to turn on and off Voice control. Had a couple of follow on comments

What would be great is to be able to do is create a shortcut so it starts in stop listening. I created a screen recording to explain my question. See link below. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Link to screen recording of question

May 24, 2024 9:54 AM in response to Griffiths415

I’m a bit confused about your comment above (“create a shortcut so it starts in stop listening”) and what you describe in the video.

From the video, I understand that the icons in the menu bar are hidden by the camera notch (if too many are displayed). You’ll find several suggestions on the web to deal with the issue, for instance this discussion:

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/444113/how-to-prevent-macbook-pro-notch-from-hiding-menu-bar-icons-from-the-right

voice control start and stop listening, is there a keyboard shortcut

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.