Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 10.5 and IOS 5 sync hang at "Waiting for items to copy", possible fix

After seeing many other threads, I am hesistant to start my own. However, I thought it worthwhile to share how I fixed this problem on my iPad 1.

SYMPTOM: iTunes sync doesn't complete, with the message "Waiting for items to copy" displayed. There are no error messages, and it appears that all content is valid and synced. It is possible to cancel the sync from the iPad (Settings -> General -> iTunes Wi-Fi Sync) or by exiting iTunes.

RESOLUTION: Select the iPad in iTunes, and in each category (Info, Apps, Music, Movies, TV Shows, Podcasts, iTunes U, Books, Photos) make one modification, just so the Apply button appears. Click Apply. The sync will restart, even if it's already stuck at "Waiting for items to copy".

On my iPad, I noted that if I de-selected the option to sync Books, one book keep re-checking itself after I clicked Apply: The iPad User Guide for iOS 5. I had downloaded this one via the iBooks app in the iPad. I right-clicked the iPad and picked "Transfer Purchases", but it appeared to do very little.

From the iTunes Library under Books, I deleted the local copy of the iPad User Guide for iOS 5, then synced again.

It worked! Briefly, there were extra messages about transferring the iOS 5 user guide again, but the Books category now worked correctly.

SO... it appears that the bug may be related to having items on the device which didn't get transferred fully during the "Transferring purchases" part of the sync.

SUMMARY: If you purchased some items then notice that sync doesn't work right, try deleting the local iTunes copies of the recent purchases and sync again.

Good luck!

iPad

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 9:22 PM

5 replies

Nov 10, 2011 1:30 PM in response to TDThompson

Hi TD,

You solved my problem awhile ago and I didn't post a thank here. So thank you! I was having a problem with a PDF that kept rechecking itself. It was not the User guide. Anyway, I posted your solution on another discussion board and it has solved the issue for several people. Here's the link. My post is on the last page. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3391000

Dec 16, 2015 2:49 PM in response to TDThompson

Even though I'm on a much later version of iOS and ITunes, this solution helped me. Thanks for posting. I noted that when I was updating via iTunes (connected via USB) one of the transfers didn't work (a pop-up indicated there was a problem, and I just hit OK). I'd seen this before when the "waiting to copy" problem happened, and watched carefully in the status bar of iTunes as the items were copied. It turned out I'd unchecked an old copy of an iPad User's guide (long since out of date). Re-checking it for download meant it went back onto my iPad, but it cleared up the choke, and the sync finished. Guess I'll have to delete the book from my iPad and see if it messes up the sync next time.

I'd like to mark your rely as a solution but can't seem to find the button that allows me to do that.

iTunes 10.5 and IOS 5 sync hang at "Waiting for items to copy", possible fix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.