Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal.app crashing: Can I disable callbacks?

Five times in the last 48 hours, Terminal.app "quit unexpectedly". The Terminal_datestamp.crash files show

EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV) KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

with a call stack that always includes:

com.apple.Terminal 0x000000010530bc94 0x105295000 + 486548 com.apple.Foundation 0x00007fff972ac5df __NSFireTimer + 83 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff95837d74 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_TIMER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__ + 20 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff958379ff __CFRunLoopDoTimer + 1071 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff9583755a __CFRunLoopDoTimers + 298 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fff9582ef81 __CFRunLoopRun + 2065

User impact

I cannot use the system: must find solution, even if the cost is to wipe disk and install previous OS (El Capitan).

The primary question

(q1) Is there some new feature of Sierra that integrates Terminal with other apps that can be turned off, perhaps a setting to disable callbacks?

Secondary questions

• (q2) Can I potentially run a copy of the Terminal.app from a previous version of Mac OS X? Prior to my new laptop (and Sierra) these crashes never happened.
  • (q3) What additional detail would be useful, and how can I collect it?

I am familiar with Unix application development, but not for Mac OS X. I am happy to collect additional detail by turning on debug tools, traces, event collectors, etc. but would need pointers to get started. Xcode is available, but I would be a beginner with it.

System summary

• New MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015).
    • Arrived 6 days ago.
    • (Yes, I intentionally bought a brand-new instance of the previous model.)
    • Surprisingly, it arrived with Sierra. It presently has 10.12.1
    • Xcode installed
    • GCC 6.2.0 available, built locally.
  • Previous history brought in by Migration Assistant
  • Not tried (yet, anyway)
    • I have briefly visited safe mode but have not stayed there. I do not know whether there would be crashes of Terminal.app if I spent all day in safe mode
    • I do not know whether there would be crashes if I created a fresh, different user account.
  • Tentative rule-outs:
    • Malware, adware, etc are reasonably unlikely given the usage pattern for this work system: firewalls in sw and hw, no visiting of dicey websites, primary application used all day long is vim.
    • However, if Terminal is now integrated with the world wide web then I suppose anything is possible.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Dec 8, 2016 7:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2017 4:53 AM

Heya!

This problem's been bugging me as well and with the information from this thread I narrowed it down to the following:

Stuart's test case can be simplified to the following:

1. Open vim an enter three lines of arbitrary text such as this:
    a
    a aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    a
    - First and third line just have to be present - no idea why.
    - The second line needs to have a space as the second character and wrap exactly one character to the next line.
    User uploaded file
  2. Delete the first character of the second line by pressing x so that now the line starts with a space and the last character of the line moves to the last column of the terminal.
    User uploaded file
  3. Wait about a second and Terminal.app will crash.

This suggests that Terminal.app has for some reason problems with lines that start with a space and end on the last column of the terminal.

It also only seems to relate with redrawing of the screen because I was not able to reproduce it with echo commands from the command line and I have only ever seen it with full-screen terminal applications like vim and screen, running both locally and remotely.

I had a suspicion it was related to the alternate screen which both vim and screen use by default. I was able to rule that out by setting TERM=vt100 to disable use of the alternate screen and still being able to trigger the crash as described above.

The problem seems to have been introduced with Terminal.app 387 of the 10.12.1 update. I extracted version 377 from my recovery partition (also present in the original 10.12.0 installer) which copes fine with above test case.

The obvious difference between both versions when diff'ing output of the strings command on both executables it the additon of Touchbar functionality mostly relating to man page interaction. I was not able to find any knob to disable this functionality to further narrow down the cause.

Thanks everyone for their research, providing a simple and reproducible test case and the workaround of going back to version 377 for now,

Michael

193 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2017 4:53 AM in response to stuartnlevy

Heya!

This problem's been bugging me as well and with the information from this thread I narrowed it down to the following:

Stuart's test case can be simplified to the following:

1. Open vim an enter three lines of arbitrary text such as this:
    a
    a aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    a
    - First and third line just have to be present - no idea why.
    - The second line needs to have a space as the second character and wrap exactly one character to the next line.
    User uploaded file
  2. Delete the first character of the second line by pressing x so that now the line starts with a space and the last character of the line moves to the last column of the terminal.
    User uploaded file
  3. Wait about a second and Terminal.app will crash.

This suggests that Terminal.app has for some reason problems with lines that start with a space and end on the last column of the terminal.

It also only seems to relate with redrawing of the screen because I was not able to reproduce it with echo commands from the command line and I have only ever seen it with full-screen terminal applications like vim and screen, running both locally and remotely.

I had a suspicion it was related to the alternate screen which both vim and screen use by default. I was able to rule that out by setting TERM=vt100 to disable use of the alternate screen and still being able to trigger the crash as described above.

The problem seems to have been introduced with Terminal.app 387 of the 10.12.1 update. I extracted version 377 from my recovery partition (also present in the original 10.12.0 installer) which copes fine with above test case.

The obvious difference between both versions when diff'ing output of the strings command on both executables it the additon of Touchbar functionality mostly relating to man page interaction. I was not able to find any knob to disable this functionality to further narrow down the cause.

Thanks everyone for their research, providing a simple and reproducible test case and the workaround of going back to version 377 for now,

Michael

Jan 3, 2017 7:06 PM in response to john henning

Thread summary as of 3-Jan-2017

17 users report crashes of Terminal.app

• Crashes reported both with Sierra 10.12.1 and 10.12.2
  • Users: This thread: JohnHenning, RogerDavis, channui, mattj_io, sakuro, randy_parker, ProValid, Deirdre Saoirse Moen, rossgrady, 123QAZWSX456, rebelsky, Baughn, ctitusbrown, phyzzx; Related threads: dsandber, markwolgemuth, Ron Frederick

Reproducer posted *new*

• In this thread, see message of Jan 3, 2017 6:18 pm
  • Posted by user ProValid,
  • Confirmed independently by Sakuro-san and by me.

The 'vi' editor seems to be the (usual) victim, not the criminal

• There are reports of crashes while using remote systems
  • Some were using vi remotely; one is just using 'tail' (Dec 26, 2016 1:19 AM Sakuro-san)

Related threads

Escape sequences:

• Dec 22, 2016 9:45 AM Chan-nui posted 'script' capture when remote vi caused crash
  • I have been (casually) looking at the sequences (with od -abc)
  • There are a lot of 8-bit characters in use but I am having trouble guessing what 8-bit encoding is in use.
  • It does not seem to be https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8

Peeking inside?

• It would be nice if there were truss or dtrace logs

A link above (Dec 9, 6:19am) allegedly explains how to enable dtrace, but I have not dared.

• The stack traces are not obviously insane when compared to 'normal' running app. (see entry Dec 8 at 7:19pm)

Attempted workarounds that do NOT appear sufficient

• Migrated account
  • Fresh new account
  • Safe mode
  • Wiped disk, fresh Sierra
  • Old Vim 7.3 from El Capitan
  • Update Cisco VPN (still saw crashes + subsequently excluded as a candidate by the wiped-disk-other-laptop test)
  • Secure Text Entry - Recipe: Dec 16, 2016 10:05 AM suggested by Drew.
    • Status: conflicting reports: Dec 21, 2016 3:12 PM RogerDavis reports 1.5 days without crashes
    • Dec 26, 2016 1:19 AM Sakuro-san says crashes can happen
    • Jan 3, 2017 1:53 PM randy_parker says he saw a crash with secure text entry enabled
  • Vim 8.0 - Recipe: Dec 22, 2016 12:01 AM
    • Status: conflicting reports: Dec 21, 2016 2:20 PM Mattj_io reports 2 days success
    • Jan 3, 2017 1:53 PM randy_parker says he saw a crash with MacVim 8.0

Remaining Workaround Candidates

• iTerm2
  • Screen
    • As pointed out by ctitusbrown, you can use screen even on a local system (oh, wow... good point)
    • This does not actually work around it, but at least it makes the recovery faster.
  • Old Terminal Recipe: Dec 18 at 6:22pm suggested by me
    • At least 1 more user is now also testing this (Sakuro)

Jan 3, 2017 3:05 PM in response to RogerDavis

This is happening to me a great deal (Terminal is crashing when I run VIM), and I badly need a workaround.

The following is 100% repeatable for me. Create a text file with the following content (Cut & paste into vim, for example) between the --- lines:

---

This is a test of a line which might reproduce the Terminal crash by being just over

80 columns

---

This should be exactly 3 lines long, the first line is empty, and the second line is just over 80 columns long, the third line is "80 columns". Save this file as "test_file".

Size your Terminal window so it is 80 columns wide exactly. Run vim on the file:

vi test_file

Move to line 2, "This is a test..", to the first T. Press 'x' four times. Terminal will crash. The crash occurs as the line goes from 81 characters (so it wraps to the next line) to 80 characters.

Feb 14, 2017 7:51 AM in response to john henning

I found a simple test case which reliably crashes Terminal while typing in vim, under 10.12.3 on my Macbook Pro. It happens whether using macos-supplied vim, or a linux copy of vim run remotely via ssh.

Repeat-by:

Make a Terminal window that’s not too wide, e.g. 120 columns. This example doesn’t crash in a 150-column-wide terminal, but does for a variety of smaller width.

Edit the following plain ASCII text file. Since I don't see a way to attach a file, and I can't prevent auto-wrapping, I'm including it in-line bracketed by ====’s, which should be removed. Also, each line ends with the line number in square brackets, to make it clear where the line breaks are. That is, if you've copied-and-pasted it successfully, this text file is exactly 5 lines long, with the longest being 259 characters. A suitable example file is also downloadable at http://dart.ncsa.uiuc.edu/slevy/edit-to-crash-terminal.txt:

===

/goldbaum2-7.bmv already exists; use -y to recreate [1]

/des_surveyBuildup_11-7.bmv already exists; use -y to recreate [2]

/lsst_telescope12-22.bmv 1-2660 /fe0/deslsst/telescope/comps/lsst_obj_12-22_comp4k/lsst_obj_12-22_comp4k.%04d.p ng [3]

img2bmv -f 30 -p 3 -N 6 -L 42 -t 512x360 -w 4096x2160 -w 3840x2160 -t 480x540 -o /fraid0/movies/ren400My_vars_grids_labels_11-8.bmv 1-2881 /fe0/deslsst/renaissance/comps/ren400My_vars_grids_labels_3840_11-8/ren400My_va rs_grids_labels_3840_11-8.%04d.png [4]

Don't know how to make these movies: -f 3 [5]

====

In any case, in vim, type:

3jdfo

i.e., go down to the 4th line, then delete from start-of-line to the first “o”.

Terminal crashes reliably!

Jan 4, 2017 10:29 AM in response to john henning

Now you have a reliable method to reproduce I'd consider reporting to Apple again…

Contact Apple About Security Issues - Apple Support

Perhaps the product-security email is appropriate here? From what I can tell certain crashes can potentially be manipulated into other compromises that can allow more access to other parts of the system.

If you are frustrated by Apple's silence & apparent lack of progress you could look around for Mac security researchers, they may investigate this & try to claim Apple's bug bounty if it can be found to compromise the system. Since these topics are public it may just be a matter of time before anyone starts to look into that anyway. The Apple Software updates have a list of researchers that have given responsible disclosure…

Jan 23, 2017 10:47 AM in response to john henning

About the security content of macOS Sierra 10.12.3 - Apple Support

Vim

Available for: macOS Sierra 10.12.2

Impact: Opening a maliciously crafted file may lead to unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution

Description: An input validation issue existed in modelines. This was addressed through improved input validation.

CVE-2016-1248: Florian Larysch

Is this related at all? Is there any change after installing the 10.12.3 update (not a beta version)?

Mar 13, 2017 2:08 PM in response to john henning

There are about 3 workable treatments posted by various in the following thread, none "cure vim" per say.

Re: Terminal.app keeps crashing while using VIM

This is possibly an "unwatched/inactive thread" posted in 2016, but the question always is: how is the issue repeatable? (ie, for vim(1) it was noted that crashing occurs in Linux based OS and Sierra OS using vim(1) but not all other terminal emulators (iTerm2) + vi clone mixtures (elvis(1) seems to work fine on linux and Sierra using Terminal.app). Sierra termcap/terminfo settings maybe not matching vim/ncurses also a possible.)

Jan 27, 2017 9:44 AM in response to RogerDavis

AFAIK all of my Terminal crashes have happened while I was in vi, although I do normally have several shells open at the same time. It usually happens at least once a day, but happened a few times today. Next time it happens I will look at the backtrace and compare with yours. I have already sent a couple of them to Apple, no reply yet. My system is not new, so I have no phone support.

I'm seeing it on my Macmini running Sierra (oddly not on my Macbook Pro running ElCap).

It's always in "vi". It doesn't matter if I'm running the vi locally or on a remote machine via ssh.

I see this crash 5 or 6 times a day.

I suspect that the terminal emulation in Terminal.app is broken, in that it gets either

1. an escape sequence it's not expecting, leading to undefined behavior like a bad table indirection;
  2. that the escape sequence is being split up over 2 packets (less likely), and not all the data arrives before the terminal emulation tries to parse the sequence but this is very speculative;

If it's (1) then it should be trivial for Apple to dig out of a core dump what the input data stream was at the moment that Terminal crashed from a coredump.

Who knew a 1980's technology like terminal emulation was so challenging? 😮

-Philip

Dec 31, 2016 7:56 PM in response to phyzzx

2 people have mentioned not having El Capitan handy, to copy its Terminal.app (recipe: this thread, entry from Dec 18, 2016 6:22 PM). Hmm, that's unfortunate; but perhaps a request at a genius bar would get you one?

If that is not an option, you may want to seriously consider iTerm2, which was mentioned earlier in this thread; see http://iterm2.com

I liked iTerm2 a lot better than xterm.

Jan 2, 2017 2:22 PM in response to john henning

I can reliably provoke this problem with a fairly simple routine.

Start by running a screen session on your server, and irssi inside screen. SSH in, then let your laptop go to sleep. Wait long enough, and SSH will disconnect on resume, which leaves the terminal in a broken state where only the last line updates.

Ctrl-L fixes it, but traditionally I've just pressed up-return to resume my ssh session; something irssi does then will also fix the terminal. However, with this bug, doing so will instead crash Terminal.app. Press ctrl-L first, and it won't crash.

Jan 2, 2017 2:27 PM in response to john henning

I'm having similar problems, using vi on a remote machine that I connect to using ssh. Interestingly, I didn't have those problems when I was using the same setup under Sierra 10.12 rather than 10.12.2. I see that Terminal.app has changed between the two versions of Sierra. The Terminal.app under Sierra 10.12 is 2.7 (377). The Terminal.app under 10.12.2 is 2.7.1 (388).

Jan 2, 2017 10:11 PM in response to rebelsky

My husband's having the same problem: connecting to a remote host via ssh. Thankfully, he's using screen on the remote end, so he's not losing his work. Here's the traceback from the crashing thread (20 crashes today, yay):

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0 libsystem_platform.dylib 0x00007fffe2c52f56 _platform_memmove$VARIANT$Haswell + 182

1 com.apple.Terminal 0x0000000108d94c4d 0x108d5c000 + 232525

2 com.apple.Terminal 0x0000000108df2bb8 0x108d5c000 + 617400

3 com.apple.UIFoundation 0x00007fffe005cb7f -[NSAttributedString(NSAttributedStringUIFoundationAdditions) doubleClickAtIndex:inRange:] + 337

4 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fffcb5e690e -[NSAttributedString(NSAttributedStringDeprecatedKitAdditions) URLAtIndex:effectiveRange:] + 607

5 com.apple.Terminal 0x0000000108e00625 0x108d5c000 + 673317

6 com.apple.Terminal 0x0000000108dcbf81 0x108d5c000 + 458625

7 com.apple.Terminal 0x0000000108dcc1e9 0x108d5c000 + 459241

8 com.apple.Terminal 0x0000000108dd2c1c 0x108d5c000 + 486428

9 com.apple.Foundation 0x00007fffcef7ef7f __NSFireTimer + 83

10 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fffcd4f3244 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_TIMER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__ + 20

11 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fffcd4f2ecf __CFRunLoopDoTimer + 1071

12 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fffcd4f2a2a __CFRunLoopDoTimers + 298

13 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fffcd4ea3e1 __CFRunLoopRun + 2065

14 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x00007fffcd4e9974 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 420

15 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fffcca75acc RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 240

16 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fffcca75901 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 432

17 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x00007fffcca75736 _BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInModeWithFilter + 71

18 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fffcb01bae4 _DPSNextEvent + 1120

19 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fffcb79621f -[NSApplication(NSEvent) _nextEventMatchingEventMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 2789

20 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fffcb010465 -[NSApplication run] + 926

21 com.apple.AppKit 0x00007fffcafdad80 NSApplicationMain + 1237

22 libdyld.dylib 0x00007fffe2a42255 start + 1

Jan 3, 2017 1:53 PM in response to john henning

I set Terminal --> Secure Keyboard Entry (checked "on") and have not had any crashes for a week or so.

But I just did, while in vim. In this time I'm pretty sure I know what my fingers were doing :-)

It was a local-to-my-laptop vim (MacVim 8.0) session, I had just yanked a line with 50 or 60 characters, scooted to location about a dozen lines away, and typed a command of ctrl-A to Append, and then two spaces followed by two ampersands. The crash seemed to occur on the second ampersand.

Terminal.app crashing: Can I disable callbacks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.