Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I delete website data in iOS 10.3?

Certain website data sites can not be removed. Even after a reset they still remain. This only happened after updating to 10.3.

iPad Air 2 WiFi, Cellular, iOS 10.3

Posted on Apr 2, 2017 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2017 7:15 AM

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner.

Feedback

300 replies

Apr 20, 2017 10:08 AM in response to Gibraltar Bill

Hi there I am not sure how old this post is but I have the solution. It's very particular about the steps you take, so follow each step. I own an iPhone7 iOS 10

1. Set cookies to allow

2. Make a list of all the websites that won't erase from your website data.

3. Visit each site (on safari) doing the following steps.

4. Once you have safari open with the website that is storing data on your device, leaving the window open (press home screen button)

5. Open: settings>safari>advanced>website data

6. Swipe the current website that is open in safari

7. Delete

8. Click back twice

9. Double click home screen button and close safari first then close your settings window

10. Repeat steps for remaining website data stored on your device.

This is literally the only way it works. If you skip any steps then the web site will remain but with 0kb. I spent a week messing with my settings until I discovered the solution. I tried it several other ways (attempting to skip steps) but failed. Good luck guys.

Apr 22, 2017 4:35 PM in response to Community User

Thanks for the detailed solution. How sad that apple expects us to go thru such gymnastics to make the increasingly futile attempt to defend what's left of our privacy. And to think apple pretends to support customer privacy! One brief look at the apple app store reveals shockingly low quality standards that reinforce the growing perception that either apple doesn't care or the folks in charge aren't bright enough to understand how quality and customer trust might matter. I agree with others that it's time to switch to a non safari-based browser if one exists. Actually I think it could be time for me to abandon ios and apple in the same way that apple has abandoned its customers. What do I mean? Take a look at itunes. Take a look at the Music app now. Some of you might remember what great apps these used to be. Incredible how stupid people can take charge of ruining things!

Jun 19, 2017 8:12 AM in response to pdeschaine

pdeschaine wrote:

Come on apple corporation, give us an easy fix,

Apple is not reading here. If you want to leave them feedback, use this link:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

If you want to contact Customer Support, use the link at the top right of the page.

If you purchased your phone from Apple, you have 14 days to return it and get your money back. After that, any issues will be dealt with under the warranty.

Best of luck.

Jul 15, 2017 8:59 AM in response to iroarmoar

iroarmoar wrote:

Because discussing each other's posts instead of the topic at hand - that of Apple's non-response to its customers as persistent cookies remain unleashed on iOS systems

Discussing Apple practice and policy is pointless and a waste of time. We understand the issue; continuing to point out the problem over and over and over and over will accomplish nothing toward resolving the issue. Filing a bug report or reporting it an https://apple.com/feedback might.

Jul 15, 2017 9:05 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

iroarmoar wrote:

Because discussing each other's posts instead of the topic at hand - that of Apple's non-response to its customers as persistent cookies remain unleashed on iOS systems

Discussing Apple practice and policy is pointless and a waste of time. We understand the issue; continuing to point out the problem over and over and over and over will accomplish nothing toward resolving the issue. Filing a bug report or reporting it an https://apple.com/feedback might.

I have been both amused and bemused (I think that's my word of the day) by this poster. So, not entirely a waste of time.

Oct 16, 2017 11:54 PM in response to Gibraltar Bill

I found a solution and I originally posted it at Cookies won't delete on iOS. I found this thread has a lot of reviews and I will repost here.

I tested on both ios 11.1 beta 3 on my iphone 8 and 11.0.3 on my ipad.

I have this problem since ios 10 on iphone 5s. After I bought an iphone 8 recently and used the backup from the iphone 5s to restore, the "persistent" cookies migrated to the new device. I also bought an iPad Pro and used the backup from the phone to set it up, the "persistent" cookies migrated to the ipad as well.

All the operations and software are under windows. What you need to do is:

Step 1: Use iTunes or a third party software to make a backup of your device.

Step 2: Use a third party software (I used iMazing because it is the one I found that can edit the backup. This is not supposed to be an advertisement.) to edit the backup. To do this you first need to select the backup you made and click the edit button. Then you need to remove all the files in the editable backup under "File System/Apps/AppDomain-com.apple.mobilesafari/Library/WebKit/WebsiteData/WebSQL/ ". You will be able to see all the cookies that you can not delete at this location. I this the absolute path in the actual file system is /var/mobile/Application/com.apple.mobilesafari/Library/WebKit/WebsiteData/WebSQ L/.

Step 3: Usw iTunes or a third party software to restore the backup.

Note: The backup should not be encrypted.

The solution is quite technical, and I hope apple devs can fix this problem soon.

Apr 25, 2017 10:35 AM in response to Community User

Been trying to clear stubborn website data the whole day without success and tried millions of workarounds to no avail.

I confirm that this solution was the only one that solved the issue with website data that are stuck there and refuse to be deleted!

Thank you so much, Drocmirage! Your advice was invaluable and I'm sure it's going to clear things up for other frustrated users having this issue with the browser!

Apr 26, 2017 8:07 AM in response to Community User

Drocmirage's solution seems a convoluted way to address an issue that shouldn't exist in the first place, but I decided to give it a try. I was able to eliminate one of the two persistent website data listings from my iPad Pro 9.7 (thanks for that), but the multi-step procedure didn't get rid of the other site after several attempt (microsoftstore.com). Hopefully Apple will eventually provide a true fix.

May 4, 2017 2:59 PM in response to Gibraltar Bill

This SEEMS to have worked for me twice. I went back to the website whose data I couldn't delete & while I was on it, went to settings, etc., & deleted just the offending web data. Worked for harbor freight.com & bissel.com, both 0 content folders that wouldn't go away at separate times.

By returning to the sites I was trying to get them to put some data in the folders so they wouldn't be 0 content but apparently I just needed to be there? Don't ask me what part of ios10 causes this & hope it works for you.

Why can't I delete website data in iOS 10.3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.