- Using Target Disk Mode to install an operating system 2 days ago
- Before you install 10.10.4 5 days ago
Some questions people have about AppleWorks moving to modern Macs are answered here:
1. Does AppleWorks work on Intel Macs? Yes.
2. Does AppleWorks work on Lion (Mac OS X 10.7)? No.
Conversion to compatible formats (mentioned in question 6 below) before installing Lion, or attaching a bootable external hard drive and installing Snow Leopard or earlier on it and installing Appleworks, is required to ensure your documents remain compatible when you upgrade to Lion.
3. Does AppleWorks work with Mac OS X 10.6.8 and earlier? Yes.
4. Does AppleWorks come with Mac OS X retail? No.
5. How to install AppleWorks if you erase and install Mac OS X? Use the restore CDs that came with your Mac if it is a PowerPC Mac Mini (with 2 USB ports as opposed to 4 in the rear), PowerMac G5, G4, or G3 iMac, eMac, or iBook, following the restore directions or using an AppleWorks 6.2.9 retail installer CD. Note the license agreement restrictions on the CD used.
Also, OS X support was added with AppleWorks 6.2 sometime in late 2001. Most install disks from then & later will install in OS X. For example, the separate AppleWorks installer included with a G3/600 Late 2001 iBook has an OS X-aware installer for AppleWorks 6.2 with an updater to 6.2.2.
5. If I have Appleworks 6.0 through 6.2.7, how do I make it work with Mac OS X? Run the 6.2.9 updater. For some versions of Mac OS X, the recent items folder in your Users -> Documents -> AppleWorks data needs to be emptied to avoid unexpected quits.
Note AppleWorks 6.2.4, 6.2.7 & 6.2.9 all work & are stable in OS X. Some recommend not using 6.2.7 as it was very buggy. But if you need to open any ClarisWorks 4 or earlier files, you need to use 6.2.4 or 6.2.7. AppleWorks 6.2.9 returns an I/O error with about half of those files.
6. Are there Intel & Lion Mac native software titles that I can substitute for AppleWorks?
EazyDraw (version 4.0 for Lion) - is able to replace drawing functionaity without some table features found in Appleworks Draw. Ask Eazydraw's author if you think such an object may not be able to be read.
A database exported as tab-delimited text can be imported to Filemaker Bento (version 4.0.4 for Lion) or numerous other database programs. You may also want to check out Filemaker Pro (version 8.5v2, 11.03 for Lion).