5235 Views 1 2 3 Previous Next 35 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2009 12:52 PM by decipher Go to original post
I have a number of files with "unknown" as well.
I ran Verify Disk as suggested and no errors were reported. The volume Macintosh HD appears to be ok.
As an FYI I am also synching to iphone and outlook via mobileme.
I am having this problem as well.
+ In Mail people's names don't match their email addresses. Mostly OK. But sometimes not as expected.
+In address book cannot search.
I too have a .unknown file as described above.
Is this a case for vacuuming the sqlite database? I have seen that operation recommended for other issues related to Mail data... Will research and report back.
I found this thread where the poster was worried about trying a tip he had heard about.
He was advised against it, and doesn't say if it worked for him... but it is marked solved.
So... I tried it (vacuuming Mail did nothing for Address Book).
Here's what I did:
1. Quit out of Address Book.
2. In the Finder open ~/Library/Application Support/Address Book
3. Moved the following files to the Desktop:
4. Launch Address Book
5. Watch Finder window as a new file named AddressBook-v22.abcddb appears
6. Panic briefly as Address Book launches and momentarily displays no contacts.
7. Relax as the Address Book contacts again appear and are now searchable.
Everything looks good...
For me this is SOLVED.
Totally the same problem here . . . everything was fine until Snow Leopard. When I receive an email, the name of one of the senders/recipients changes to another name in my contacts. The email address stays correct, even when I reply all, but it still reads the wrong persons names. People I write to are wondering why I am cc'ing totally unrelated people.
I've been experiencing the same Mail-Address book issues since upgrading to Snow Leopard. I spoke to an Apple help guy yesterday, who suggested I remove the "com.apple.mail.plist" file from my Library (Home>Library>Preferences) and then reconfigure my email accounts (essentially, start and reconfigure Mail from scratch). This seems to have solved the problem. Hope this helps.
Total and unforgivable disaster. I just sent out confidential company business information to a group whose names were all correct on the "To:" address line but whose underlying (and not displayed) email addresses were frequently someone else's! The email went to a potential competitor. Critical problem, Apple, that must be fixed NOW.
I thought I had solved the problem (see my previous post), but no: Mail has once again messed up my contacts. Names appear with incorrect e-mail addresses, and vice versa. The app has now become totally unreliable. I have no choice but to switch back to Entourage (which I find does not handle IMAP mail as well as Apple Mail). Apple, please take note!