This discussion is archived
40605 Views 71 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2010 3:39 AM by Switch900
Well my mac is now officially at Apple in PA, according to Fed-Ex. Apple has yet to upgrade my status to even acknowledge that they have received the return...
I do agree with the other poster that it would suck to get a second DOA iMac after this, so I hope Apple figures out the issue. Personnaly I think the shipping packaging was not made to ship such a heavy machine, and it is really heavy.iMac 27" i7 (DOA), Mac OS X (10.6.2)
So glad others are sharing real world "replacement" process experience. So far, the different explanations Apple provided seem more like someone's best guess.
My returned unit was received by Apple (California) yesterday, triggering "Returns" section of my Order Details Internet page to update with "Returns Completed." (I had telephoned Apple with my FedEx return tracking number prior Friday.)
I have now pages of handwritten notes covering various discussions with Apple personnel about the return/replacement process/problem. Most all seem very interested in documenting the issues and frustrations; equally adamant that not one thing more could be done. (This is my first return to the Apple Store; returned a C2D to reseller still earlier.)
Apple manager responsible for my replacement issues said Saturday that the replacement wasn't subject to a "backlog." If there isn't a "backlog," then, assuming it takes about the same amount of time to build an iMac as it does to build a MacPro and or Display, it's possible one's replacement order isn't officially entered until Apple itself rec'vs the return. If that's the case, my status should change to "Prepared for Shipment" sometime today.
Plenty of room for faulty logic; perhaps better than what I can learn from Apple.
Do hope others continue to share their experience--it really does help. --MBMiMac i7 (in waiting AGAIN), Mac OS X (10.6.2)
Well they can't 'ship' it given that it's a CTO item. they have to build it first. that is the part they need to be more clear about right off the top. It sounds more like they have the order in standby and when they see the machine has been handed over they submit it.
now what they should do is comp you whatever the fastest delivery option is. which would move you up to that queue even if at the end of that line. cutting a day or two off the wait. which will still be some time since they have to build the machine and hopefully put it in the 'test this machine' line to try to prevent another problem (I suspect they do random testing not every machine testing) so that will take some time.G4, Mac OS X (10.5.7)
You wrote, "... they can't 'ship' it given that it's a CTO item. they have to build it first."
That's part of the issue.
While it seems there has been a continuum of replacement issues, some of us were told our CTO replacement machines _were already built_, so that Apple was just waiting for the FedEx notice to actually ship a replacement.
At least some of us went the extra mile, packing up a defective unit and rushing same to a FedEx office. We are the ones who then learned the earlier Apple instructions were the result of "miscommunications."
See my post just earlier. --MBMiMac i7 (in waiting AGAIN), Mac OS X (10.6.2)
Hello peon138, just wondering - I bought my 27" Core i7 iMac with 8Gb of RAM. When I boot up, it displays the screen as blank for a minute or two before successfully booting. I think this has to do with the system doing a verification check on the RAM or something. Is it possible that this is what had happened? Or maybe the RAM was loose? Anyway, I hope your issue gets resolved - these new machines are superfast!27" iMac Core i7, 1Ghz PowerBook G4 DVI, iPhone 1G, Mac OS X (10.6.2)
Rich S: No the machine completed booting with no light comming from the display. My guess is that one of the connectors for the LCD had come loose during shipping, but there is no way to verify that.macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.1)
Well, at least I feel better knowing it is not just me. Opened up my new iMac November 16th. I could hear the internal fan come on, then nothing. DOA. Sent back Fed Ex and have been told that as soon as they get the dead Mac back, they will send out a new one, but reading this forum I can see that is clearly not true. This will be the 5th Mac in my house. Needless to say that with the cost of this machine and what I have come to expect from Apple, I am clearly disappointed.iMac 27" I7, Mac OS X (10.6.2)
My replacement machine still has not shipped. The replacement order was effective (hold lifted) 20 Nov 2009. See my earlier comments.
The Apple manager now responsible for overseeing my replacement didn't hold much promise the machine would ship this week.
Began the PC-Mac conversion process in October (with C2D, returned earlier). Business and life are suffering. I may be slowly and painfully heading toward the cancellation door. --MBM (maybe not)iMac i7 (in waiting AGAIN), Mac OS X (10.6.2)
At least Apple has aknowledged that my return is complete, about 5 days after giving the thing to FedEx. But no change on the replacement order. I don't see any note of a hold being lifted, so who knows how long it will take.
What annoys me is that the press on this issue seems to indicate that this isn't a big deal since Apple is replacing these dead machines within a couple of days. Obviously not true!imac i7 (doa), Mac OS X (10.5.1)
Ordered the iMac i7 on 10 Nov. now departing Pampanga,Ph. today.If the unit is found not working when it arrives can I get my money back. It is a gift and I need to be assured there is a working computer under the tree. I found a great deal at Best Buy on a very powerful windows machine that rocks.clone, Windows XP Pro, Home Built
Interestingly enough, there isn't a forum for customer service issues. There isn't a "feedback" category either.
Based on all the information I can learn, the iMac i7 build times are still effected by supply chain problems (ships 5-7 days vs ships within 24 hours).
Reading more recent posts, appears those with working-but-buggy CTO machines are now provided better return options. For example, in some cases, they'll be able to hold on to their machines until the time (or about the time) the new machines are delivered.
I can't speak for the main stream press. Imagine we will read more about the issues in bloggers' comments over the near term. Haven't checked twitter, would think some have commented. --iMac i7 (in waiting AGAIN), Mac OS X (10.6.2)
Perhaps I spoke too soon, on another thread, landskouter posted, "Belgium ... ordered 1 iMac 27 i5 online on 26/10/2009 - received it on 24/11/2009 with the broken glass ... called aftersales today 25/11 and they will send my a RMA number to send the Imac back and they ordered a new one"iMac i7 (in waiting AGAIN), Mac OS X (10.6.2)
It is a gift and I need to be assured there is a working computer under the tree.
Unfortunately there's no way to guarantee that with any product you order on line, or even something you pick up from the store if you just get delivery without testing it first. Only if you pick up an item in the store and they agree to let you open and test it before taking it home can you be assured that it works. This will be true of Best Buy as well; if you just pick up a sealed box, regardless of the product, it may not work properly when you get it home. I've returned more than one item to Best Buy that I got from the store but found to be defective when I got it home; one was, as you intend, a Christmas present.
If you ordered from the Apple Store, you will have until January 9, 2010 to return the product. For an open-box item, Apple normally will want to charge a 10% restocking fee - Apple's policy it to replace a DOA unit - so if you do find the unit to be defective and want to return it for a refund rather than a replacement, you may need to do some negotiating with Apple.
While there does seem to be a higher rate of failures with the new 27" iMac, either something in manufacturing or a shipping problem, the odds are that the unit you get will be fine.
Good luck.iMac 2.8 Core 2 Duo 24" 4GB ATI 2600, Mac OS X (10.6.2), PowerMac G5 2.0GHz DP, Dell w/ Windows Vista Unlimited SP2, several others VM
Oh my God, I am freaking out. Should I order my i5 now or wait until Apple says something about these problems and have them fixed? (The screen flickering and DOA machines)
I live in El Salvador, Central America and I am having the machine sent from the States from a friend and as you may imagine, the returning may be a pain in the butt... Please help24" iMac (LATE2008), 15" Macbook Pro (JULY2009), Mac OS X (10.6.1)
If you're "freaking out", then unless you need a system right away I would suggest you wait. Apple may not say anything publicly, but you wait a while, you'll undoubtedly eventually see reports of these problems diminish or disappear. The changes of your receiving a perfectly-working system are probably quite good, but since returning a defective unit would be problematic from El Salvador, it might well be wise to wait.iMac 2.8 Core 2 Duo 24" 4GB ATI 2600, Mac OS X (10.6.2), PowerMac G5 2.0GHz DP, Dell w/ Windows Vista Unlimited SP2, several others VM