This discussion is archived
3235 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2010 6:45 AM by John F. Whitehead
Currently Being ModeratedMar 1, 2010 6:09 PM (in response to jheywood)
I've gone in to the "rights" metadata group, selected "Rights holder" in the "Fields - selected" window and it shows the field lookup as none and editable.
This is the correct procedure. Something else must be going on.
1. Are you sure when you go into the Rights metadata group, you are looking at PAGRP_CUST_ASSETRIGHTS and not the production equivalent?
2. Consider upgrading to 1.5.1. I don't know if this specific issue was something that was addressed, but at the very least you'll have other bug fixes in place. You'll have to upgrade the server to 10.5.8 or 10.6.2 first.
You could also try shutting the server down and restarting it (in the system prefs), but that shouldn't really be necessary.MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)
Currently Being ModeratedMar 2, 2010 10:05 AM (in response to John F. Whitehead)You are right. But it doesn't seem to help. The Rights metadata group id is PAGRP_CUST_PRODUCTIONRIGHTS, but there is no asset equivalent. There is a rights (deprecated), and a rights for masters, very strange though. I can't find any other rights metadata groups. And even in the asset metadata groups I can't remove the lookup.
Currently Being ModeratedMar 4, 2010 9:38 AM (in response to jheywood)I have experienced some weird behavior when dealing with lookups and fields. I would suggest you delete the lookup in the administrator panel altogether. If that doesn't work (it doesn't let you). Then I would first, delete the metadata field. Then, quit FCS. Open it again, and re-add the field. That should clear any connection it had with the lookup.
Anytime you are adding/removing/changing fields, it is best to quit the instance you are working in to see if the changes you made took correctly.MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.2), and Windows 7
Currently Being ModeratedMar 4, 2010 10:20 AM (in response to wilsonbyu)I've tried to delete the lookup, but I did get an error that it was being used. I'm worried that if I delete the field, I'll never be able to display that metadata again.
A bunch of names were entered in that field, and when calling a photo, it would be useful to see the name of the owner, but if I delete that field, and then recreate a field I don't know how final cut server would relink that metadata. I think it wouldn't.
Right now as a work-around I've added another field with a similar name and we might just have to use that field from now on.
Strange as it sounds it is encouraging to hear that you have experienced similar weirdness.
Currently Being ModeratedMar 4, 2010 12:08 PM (in response to jheywood)Eh, that is tough - I didn't know you had text in that field that you needed to keep. If you delete the field, you will loose the data for sure. Short of complex watchers and/or scripting, I am not sure how you could get that data out and mapped to another field, because that is the only way you're going to be able to get rid of that lookup field.
FCS can't delete the lookup if there is a metadata field that points to it. In the database, there is a pointer from the field to the lookup that tells the field what the data is, so in essence, if you delete the lookup field you will delete the data you currently have in that field. Thus, the only way to get away from the lookup is the method that I mentioned above. It is not without an investment of a lot of time.
Your current solution may be the best work around.MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz, Mac OS X (10.6.2), and Windows 7
Currently Being ModeratedMar 4, 2010 12:21 PM (in response to wilsonbyu)Good to know. I thought briefly I could map the metadata to another field but that doesn't work.
It's strange in that the lookup for the field is by default <none>. However, we can search for metadata that was in that field, before the lookup was added, and FCSvr will return results. So somehow, even though the lookup is covering it up, the metadata still exists. Very strange.
But if I try and map from that field to a new field, it doesn't return any data.
Thanks, you have confirmed my worry that we've done bad things to FCSvr and there is no fix, that isn't mind bending.
Currently Being ModeratedMar 5, 2010 6:45 AM (in response to jheywood)It's not so strange that you can still search and that the metadata still exists - when you add a lookup it doesn't change existing metadata; it only filters what is in that field. Your field is still a Unicode String. If your string doesn't match what's in the lookup, it won't be displayed, but it won't be deleted until you choose something new from the lookup.
I'm still confused why your Rights mdgroup is not PAGRP_CUST_ASSETRIGHTS and wondering if all your attempts at changing things are not linking to what you think they are. (I'm also still presuming you're on 1.5.1.)
Things are definitely out of whack, but it may not be possible to troubleshoot through the admin interface. What you could do - well, maybe not recommended, but what I would do - is examine the db via the CLI, and figure out what it truly pointing to what.MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)