I have moved mail to my reliable 10.6.2. web server and reinstalled a clean 10.6.2 on our xserve. I now understand what you mean by 127.0.0.1. I have now left that in the DNS settings for the xserve this time as you did along with our 2 real DNSs. And hope I get another 10 days of reliability and I will be at our holidays- this problme has gone on 2 terms now. It did seem faster when I tested student logins but tomorrow will be the real test.
sorry for the late reply.. this is where i placed the 127.0.0.1
In my XSERVE's System Preferences > Network > Ethernet > DNS Servers : 127.0.0.1, REAL DNS1, REAL DNS 2
Then in the xserve's Server Admin > DNS > Settings > Forwarder IP Addresses > REAL DNS1, REAL DNS 2 Allow recursive queries from the following networks: localnets Zones > just the usual FQDN entry for my server
So far, no crashing. even after repeated use of WGM / SA.