Skip navigation

iMovie '11 audio either doesn't sync with a clip or doesn't play at all.

22973 Views 54 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2013 11:55 PM by L-roy950 RSS
  • cliffonthemoon Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Jim2006 wrote:
    cliffonthemoon - I'm asking specifically about the case where Cycle11111 needed to detach audio in 9.0.1 to keep AV sync, and now you don't need to do that in 9.0.1

    What exactly is your AV sync problem? What format, frame rate, video standard? Is your problem with playback in iMovie or the exported movie?


    Apologies. Frustration galore with iMovie '11

    The problem is with export (Share with iDVD, Media Browser, Export Movie, Export using QuickTime, all produce the same results): the audio goes out of sync.

    I'm now on iMovie 9.0.1, and my project is at 4:3 Aspect Ratio, 30 fps/NTSC Frame Rate.

    The camera is Canon PowerShot SX1 IS, and the movies I am importing in to iMovie are .MOV files, 30 fps clips.

    Have deleted everything, reimported, exited and still the same. I've done this three times already, and even trashed the imovie PLIST files from ~/Library/Preferences all iMovie related files from ~/Library/Cache. Still no joy.

    Planning to go back to iMovie '09 ...
    MacBook (3.1) | Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz/4GB RAM/500GB HD, Mac OS X (10.6.5), MacBook (1.1) | Core Duo 2.0GHz/2GB RAM/250GB HD
  • imoviebill Level 1 Level 1 (120 points)
    Cliff,

    Is it only out of sync when you export it? What happens if you play the project in iMovie from beginning to end, is it out of sync there as well?
  • cliffonthemoon Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    imoviebill wrote:
    Cliff,

    Is it only out of sync when you export it? What happens if you play the project in iMovie from beginning to end, is it out of sync there as well?


    Hi, all is fine when I play the project in iMovie. The sync problem is visible only in the exported movie file (s).
    MacBook (3.1) | Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz/4GB RAM/500GB HD, Mac OS X (10.6.5), MacBook (1.1) | Core Duo 2.0GHz/2GB RAM/250GB HD
  • imoviebill Level 1 Level 1 (120 points)
    Hmmm strange, usually those two go hand in hand. A few more questions:

    1. How long is the project, and how many clips are there?
    2. Do you have stills, transitions etc?
    3. When you say the exported movie is out of sync, by how much, a few frames or several seconds?
    4. IS the movie out of sync at the very beginning of the file, or does it drift out of sync over time

    I hope I can help you out, this sounds strange.
  • cliffonthemoon Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    imoviebill wrote:
    Hmmm strange, usually those two go hand in hand. A few more questions:

    1. How long is the project, and how many clips are there?
    2. Do you have stills, transitions etc?
    3. When you say the exported movie is out of sync, by how much, a few frames or several seconds?
    4. IS the movie out of sync at the very beginning of the file, or does it drift out of sync over time

    I hope I can help you out, this sounds strange.


    Thanks. I would certainly appreciate any ideas you could share.

    To answer your questions:

    1. The project is about 1 hour and 20 minutes, and has 274 clips

    2. It contains transitions between nearly all the clips, and there are many photos that were added from iPhoto. Plus the project also contains 4 map animations. To the stills slideshow at the end of the project, I've added a piece of music track (dragged to the project from Finder)

    3/4. The sync problems begins about five minutes into the exported video (unfortunately I've deleted all the previous faulty output, and hence cannot say whether the sync problem starts at a specific time). In the beginning the audio is off only by a fraction of a second, but grows and grows. It disappears from time to time and there's completely no audio after about half of the video. However, audio added to the slide-show part of the video is in sync!
    MacBook (3.1) | Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz/4GB RAM/500GB HD, Mac OS X (10.6.5), MacBook (1.1) | Core Duo 2.0GHz/2GB RAM/250GB HD
  • imoviebill Level 1 Level 1 (120 points)
    Hey there, I looked up that camera and it looks like it creates h.264 files. I would suggest this if you can:

    Go to the Event where all of your clips are, select all and right click. Choose "Optimize-->FUll"

    NOTE: Be SURE you plenty of hard drive space. This will make fresh, icodec versions of all of you clips. Your originals will still be saved (don't worry), and your project should not be effected (although I would make at least 1 tiny change to the project so it refreshes before you try to export it again.

    This may take a while, so plan accordingly. It may help though, h.264 is not the best editing format.
  • cliffonthemoon Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    imoviebill wrote:
    Hey there, I looked up that camera and it looks like it creates h.264 files. I would suggest this if you can:

    Go to the Event where all of your clips are, select all and right click. Choose "Optimize-->FUll"

    NOTE: Be SURE you plenty of hard drive space. This will make fresh, icodec versions of all of you clips. Your originals will still be saved (don't worry), and your project should not be effected (although I would make at least 1 tiny change to the project so it refreshes before you try to export it again.

    This may take a while, so plan accordingly. It may help though, h.264 is not the best editing format.


    Many thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go over the next few days. Will report back.

    Thanks also for the info about H.264, but I am curious as to how I have been able to produce many successful home movies with iMovie '09 using the very same camera...
    MacBook (3.1) | Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz/4GB RAM/500GB HD, Mac OS X (10.6.5), MacBook (1.1) | Core Duo 2.0GHz/2GB RAM/250GB HD
  • pjsquared Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I had this problem. After hours of trial and error, I discovered that using the noise reduction on clips in the project caused my audio sync problems. I removed the noise reduction and the sync was restored. No point having a feature if it does not work. Don't know how I will get rid of the nasty background but will be moving to FCE soon.
    iMac 27"
  • Fashioncheque Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    iMovie 11 is a Huge Disappointment. The video I uploaded doesn't sync with the audio. It does in the beginning of the clip, but about 5 mins in it's off. I check the clip with Quicktime and it's fine. I also had no issues with this in the previous version of iMovie. I hope they fix this soon. At least acknowledge the problem, Apple!
    Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • cliffonthemoon Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    imoviebill wrote:
    Hey there, I looked up that camera and it looks like it creates h.264 files. I would suggest this if you can:

    Go to the Event where all of your clips are, select all and right click. Choose "Optimize-->FUll"

    NOTE: Be SURE you plenty of hard drive space. This will make fresh, icodec versions of all of you clips. Your originals will still be saved (don't worry), and your project should not be effected (although I would make at least 1 tiny change to the project so it refreshes before you try to export it again.

    This may take a while, so plan accordingly. It may help though, h.264 is not the best editing format.




    pjsquared wrote:
    I had this problem. After hours of trial and error, I discovered that using the noise reduction on clips in the project caused my audio sync problems. I removed the noise reduction and the sync was restored. No point having a feature if it does not work. Don't know how I will get rid of the nasty background but will be moving to FCE soon.


    Thanks both. I did the "Optimize-->Full" as imoviebill suggested, and I removed the noise reduction (as suggested by pjsquared) which I had previously set to the audio that I had added to the slide show.

    The share to iDVD came out great. No sync problem at all!

    Thank you all. You've been so helpful.
    MacBook (3.1) | Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz/4GB RAM/500GB HD, Mac OS X (10.6.5), MacBook (1.1) | Core Duo 2.0GHz/2GB RAM/250GB HD
  • jinx38 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    My video audio plays fine, but when I try to add iTunes music . . . nothing (even what was recently downloaded from iTunes). It will play in the trimmer fine but no sound when I play the project or the clip. Yes the volume is on and up and not muted in the clip. Apple, please fix this asap. I've never had problems with imovie in the 4 or 5 years I've used it until now.
    Mac OS X (10.6.5)
  • Avatar007 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Anybody found a solution to this problem? I thought I was doing something wrong. I just got the iMovie 11 and terrible issues with DV Files exporting to iDVD. Everything plays just fine in iMovie. The only thing I did was deleted a few scenes from the imported clips - not sure if that creates any issues exporting movie. I wasted all weekend to track down what I did wrong. I should have looked here, I guess I give way too much credit to Apple software/hardware.

    Please help!!!!!!!
    Thanks
    MacBookPro 15, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • cliffonthemoon Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Avatar007 wrote:
    Anybody found a solution to this problem? I thought I was doing something wrong. I just got the iMovie 11 and terrible issues with DV Files exporting to iDVD. Everything plays just fine in iMovie. The only thing I did was deleted a few scenes from the imported clips - not sure if that creates any issues exporting movie. I wasted all weekend to track down what I did wrong. I should have looked here, I guess I give way too much credit to Apple software/hardware.

    Please help!!!!!!!
    Thanks


    As you can see from my last post (one post above yours) the fix suggested by imoviebill and pjsquared fixed the problem. I followed both advices before sharing with iDVD, and so can't say which one of the two advices actually fixed the issues.
    MacBook (3.1) | Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz/4GB RAM/500GB HD, Mac OS X (10.6.5), MacBook (1.1) | Core Duo 2.0GHz/2GB RAM/250GB HD
  • Jamie .G Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Hi i also found a ''fix'' to this issue. Try converting each clip and detach the audio. Sometimes what happens is that some clips are shot in different speeds. Also Detaching audio may help the mac to follow the audio easier (i got no explanatio thats the best i can come up with). Converting video is as sim^ple as double clicking the movie clip and clicking convert file (usually used to change speed settings. Also make sure that there is no`''double Audio'', (a clip has two audio files attached to the clip (i musted one). It gets the mac mixed up . Select unwanted audio after dettaching them and delete them. Hope i helped.
    Macbook Pro 13, Mac OS X (10.6.6)
  • imoviebill Level 1 Level 1 (120 points)
    Hello all,

    I'll bet it has something to do with certain types of audio tracks embedded in the video clips. Try optimizing your clips, and see if that fixes the issue. Do this:

    Go to the Event where all of your clips are, select all and right click. Choose "Optimize-->FUll"

    NOTE: Be SURE you plenty of hard drive space. This will make fresh, icodec versions of all of you clips. Your originals will still be saved (don't worry), and your project should not be effected (although I would make at least 1 tiny change to the project so it refreshes before you try to export it again.

    This may take a while, so plan accordingly. This may fix it as I have yet to see any reports of iCodec clips going out of sync.

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.