Of course I use the actual MAC address in place of the x's, but I have searched the entire directory and this MAC address is not in use.
I don't understand this statement. The message isn't telling you there is a device in your directory with that IP address, it's telling you that there's a machine on your network that's using the address.
That device doesn't have to be in your directory, it doesn't have to be using DHCP.. it's just physically connected. Whether it should be, or whether it should have a different IP address is something you'll need to determine.
Do you know the device it's referring to? The MAC address will map to a physical device. If you don't know which device it is you may be able to wean that information from your switches, which may tell you which port it's connected to (assuming it's a wired ethernet device).
Sorry, maybe I should have said this error is in Workgroup Manager.
After I try to add the computer to OD I get an error that the computer exists already, which it does not, then it creates a partial entry. I will go in from the server end and add the MAC address manually since it is missing, and then I get this error.
You can see what WGM/OpenDirectory is retaining by exporting all computer profiles.
Select Computers in WGM -> Select All -> Export.
This will provide a file containing for each computer
If the duplicate record is not visible then you may have to take OD to standby and then back to Master to flush out the erroneous record.
I've had the same issue in the past and I resolved it by changing the Directory Node from /LDAPv3/127.0.0.1 to /Local/Default on the Directory Master.
The conflicting Computer Accounts were list here (not sure how they got there, possibly from changing the Directory Role). Once I deleted them locally, then changed back to /LDAPv3/127.0.0.1, I was able to add the problem Computer Account back in.
However I now have one Computer Account which is not held locally or in /LDAPv3/127.0.0.1 and is conflicting.
Not ideal but I now have the one conflicting Computer Account added back into OD and is being controlled correctly.
I promoted our OD Replica to Master, demoted the Master to Replica and added the Account to the new Master. I then reversed the roles back to original and the Computer Account was listed in the Computer List. One other thing I had to do, just for this one computer, was add the UUID to OD manually, which seemed to resolve my issue.
I'm having the same issue with Ethernet Address Conflict, along with machines not pulling down settings from the Machine and Group levels.
In regards to the machines being list in /LDAPv3/127.0.0.1 and /Local/Default, I found the ones listed in the /Local/Default were ones that were being static mapped in Server Admin's DHCP. I removed one machine from static maps and pulled into the /LDAPv3/127.0.0.1 just fine but again not pulling the set IP address at Machine level despite restarting twice and removing and reconnecting to OD.