Skip navigation

Netflix pausing/buffering issues

304377 Views 717 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2014 10:44 AM by tommy2103.87 RSS
  • Michaelworks Level 3 Level 3 (695 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2011 12:13 PM (in response to markbober)
    markbober wrote:
    There may be a discrepancy between burst and sustained download speeds, even on FiOS which I haven't encountered, but that does not account for the same content being viewed at the same time on the same network and having significantly different viewing experiences.

    According to Netflix: iMac download: 20 Mbps, Apple TV download: 0.9 Mbps

    This is not an ISP issue.


    Netflix gave me similar numbers even though I was watch HD 5.1 DD on my ATV2. Their tool is a snapshot tool and not a continuous monitor. They also told me that my ATV2 pulled 6 mbps on one call, so I take their data with a grain of salt.....
    MP 2.66 16GB ATI 5770 MBP i7 17" iMac iPhone 4 32 iPad 3G 64, Mac OS X (10.6.7), MBA 11.6" Ultimate Canon 5D & 5D MKII
  • Michaelworks Level 3 Level 3 (695 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2011 3:17 PM (in response to Michaelworks)
    Michaelworks wrote:
    markbober wrote:
    There may be a discrepancy between burst and sustained download speeds, even on FiOS which I haven't encountered, but that does not account for the same content being viewed at the same time on the same network and having significantly different viewing experiences.

    According to Netflix: iMac download: 20 Mbps, Apple TV download: 0.9 Mbps

    This is not an ISP issue.


    Netflix gave me similar numbers even though I was watch HD 5.1 DD on my ATV2. Their tool is a snapshot tool and not a continuous monitor. They also told me that my ATV2 pulled 6 mbps on one call, so I take their data with a grain of salt.....



    Here is your provider of FIOS in the news.....

    http://www.macworld.com/article/159006/2011/04/verizon_netneutrality.html
    MP 2.66 16GB ATI 5770 MBP i7 17" iMac iPhone 4 32 iPad 3G 64, Mac OS X (10.6.7), MBA 11.6" Ultimate Canon 5D & 5D MKII
  • John Pryzbylek Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2011 5:41 PM (in response to RebeccaA)
    Just wanted to add my voice to the number of people experiencing problems with the AppleTV and Netflix streaming. When watching a movie from Netflix, it will periodically freeze and appear to rebuffer. I have a 12Mbps downstream connection with AT&T Uverse and it works fine with my Macbook, Macbook Pro, and PS3. The only device that is struggling is the AppleTV.

    I have attempted to resolve the issue via the following:
    • Connected via wireless to both a 2wire router and Airport Extreme.
    • Hardcoded DNS on the AppleTV and on router for Google DNS, OpenDNS, and my ISP's DNS (AT&T Uverse).
    • Hardcoded IP addresses
    • Reset AppleTV
    • Restored AppleTV
    • Updated AppleTV to latest iOS version.

    None of these provide a solution. Netflix stated that the AppleTV was connecting at 0.2Mbps, 0.37Mbps, .2Mbps, and .43Mbps which is unacceptable if true. If not for the ability to stream iTunes from my computer, this would be a rather useless device and I sincerely hope Apple is looking into this.
    15" Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), AppleTV 2
  • markbober Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2011 6:24 AM (in response to John Pryzbylek)
    John (and others), please call Apple and ask to report a bug with the Apple TV software. You don't need AppleCare to do this.

    U.S. Technical Support: 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273)

    Only when enough people call with the same problem will this issue be addressed.
  • SKEL_73 Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2011 10:31 AM (in response to markbober)
    I'm going to call. I have lots of bandwidth and no issues with Netflix performance on any devices other than AppleTV.
    Macbook Pro 2.66Ghz Core i7 8G RAM 7200RPM Seagate 500GB, Mac OS X (10.6.4)
  • markbober Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2011 10:33 AM (in response to RebeccaA)
    Please do call Apple. I just spoke with my senior advisor who suggested that the more people that call, the better.
  • bluewater45103 Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2011 10:36 AM (in response to RebeccaA)
    I fixed this problem while trying to find a solution to my streaming iTunes issue. If you use Wi-Fi (or perhaps any router really)you need to make certain that it is configured to Apple security settings. I've hade the Netflix issue since I got the Apple TV at Christmas. Once the company reconfigured the router, my Netflix issue was resolved. However I still have streaming iTunes issues!!
    Windows, Windows XP, iTunes library is on an external hard drive
  • markbober Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2011 10:37 AM (in response to bluewater45103)
    This is not the issue. The issue is the connection management on the Apple TV. Other devices are fine. And I'm using a wired network and still have the problem.

    bookofcain wrote:
    I fixed this problem while trying to find a solution to my streaming iTunes issue. If you use Wi-Fi (or perhaps any router really)you need to make certain that it is configured to Apple security settings. I've hade the Netflix issue since I got the Apple TV at Christmas. Once the company reconfigured the router, my Netflix issue was resolved. However I still have streaming iTunes issues!!
  • LCSherwin Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2011 12:53 PM (in response to markbober)
    I will also call Apple support this evening. Netflix is unwatchable for me. It pauses constantly.

    I'm connecting via a Cisco E3000 router. I'm sure it's not the router or my network (FiOS). My Panasonic bluray player is also connected via wireless N and has absolutely no problems what so ever. The apple tv interface is so much nicer that it irks me I can't actually use it to watch the stream.
    PC, Windows 7
  • Michaelworks Level 3 Level 3 (695 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2011 1:12 PM (in response to LCSherwin)
    LCSherwin wrote:
    I will also call Apple support this evening. Netflix is unwatchable for me. It pauses constantly.

    I'm connecting via a Cisco E3000 router. I'm sure it's not the router or my network (FiOS). My Panasonic bluray player is also connected via wireless N and has absolutely no problems what so ever. The apple tv interface is so much nicer that it irks me I can't actually use it to watch the stream.


    Please post back when you have this resolved. It will be interesting to know the cause of your issues
    MP 2.66 16GB ATI 5770 MBP i7 17" iMac iPhone 4 32 iPad 3G 64, Mac OS X (10.6.7), MBA 11.6" Ultimate Canon 5D & 5D MKII
  • caa100 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2011 4:56 AM (in response to RebeccaA)
    My problems are not as severe as many of yours. Since the 4.2.1 update, I no longer get kicked out to the menu. Occasional pausing, but nowhere near as bad.

    One thing that does happen almost every night: Netflix will be fine, then suddenly the audio and video are out of sync by 30 seconds. Happens about once an hour. Workaround is to wind back a few seconds then resume.

    I called Netflix about it. It was almost humorous -

    1. They suggested I reinstall the app! I explained the AppleTV didn't work that way.

    2. They suggested they would de-authorize my device, and I would have to go to the web site to get a code to re-authorize it. Again, I explained it did not work that way on ATV.

    3. When I first explained the problem, they said "oh, this is not good". "What?" I asked. "We dont have a tech note that covers this!"
  • robrudloff Calculating status...
    I tried this. It did IMPROVE but not fix the issue. Instead of pausing every few minutes to buffer, it now buffers every 15 minutes or so
    MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • josen2lrb Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2011 6:06 PM (in response to RebeccaA)
    What good is this forum if no one gets an official reply from Apple? These ATV post run on for 40 pages! At least let the consumer know what is the cause. I am very frustrated with Netflix on my ATV2. It always freezes. One can not watch TV with 100 stops per 40 minute episode. Yet Netflix works fine on my home computer and even on my iPad. Same wi-fi network. It's not my network is ATV2. If it were not for the fact that it was a Christmas gift, I would have returned it by now. Apple needs to fix this before people start taking legal action. Then again maybe not. It may be what is needed.
    Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.5.6)
  • tgibbs Level 1 Level 1 (70 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2011 8:37 PM (in response to josen2lrb)
    josen2lrb wrote:
    What good is this forum if no one gets an official reply from Apple? These ATV post run on for 40 pages! At least let the consumer know what is the cause. I am very frustrated with Netflix on my ATV2. It always freezes. One can not watch TV with 100 stops per 40 minute episode. Yet Netflix works fine on my home computer and even on my iPad. Same wi-fi network. It's not my network is ATV2. If it were not for the fact that it was a Christmas gift, I would have returned it by now. Apple needs to fix this before people start taking legal action. Then again maybe not. It may be what is needed.


    Although hosted by Apple, this is exclusively a user-to-user forum. If you want to communicate with Apple, you are in the wrong place. To send feedback to Apple, use the Apple Feedback page

    http://www.apple.com/feedback/

    If you want to discuss your issues with Apple, your best bet is to call Apple Customer Service or make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple Store
    Cube, Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.5.7)
  • mgudites Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2011 6:48 AM (in response to RebeccaA)
    Echoing what others have said -- Netflix is completely unusable on Apple TV2 for me. Constant pausing, buffering. I have a 10Mbit Internet connection, plus it works fine on my iPad. Definitely seems limited to the Apple TV.
    Mac Mini (mid-2010), Mac OS X (10.6.7)
1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 48 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (13)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.