Hold down Shift+Command+V and you'll get a little bit different of a screen with scrolling white text. Let us know what the bottom 5 rows or so of text says once it stops and goes no further for several minutes. Could be getting stuck on the disk verification.
Note: You cannot copy paste the text so write it down.
I did what you said, and the bottom 5 rows say:
en1: BSSID changed to 00:26:f2:40:1d:02
Airport : RSN handshake complete on en1
nstat_lookup_entry failed: 2
Do you know the problem?
Do you have any devices besides the mouse/keyboard plugged in? Try unplugging them.
Have you left it sitting for a bit to see if it goes past?
Might just take some time to initialize.
Follow this article.
Try Disk Utility
- Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
- When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
- Click the First Aid tab.
- Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
- Select your Mac OS X volume.
- Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
No i haven't got any devices plugged in at all. Apart from keyboard and mouse.
when you say a 'bit', how long do you mean? Because i left it for about half an hour.
I did a Verify Disk and it says 'The Volume Macintosh HD appears to be OK'.
Half an hour should be more than enough.
Only other thing I can think of to get it working would be the archive and reinstall. Someone else will probably have a better idea (hopefully) as to why it's not working.
Maybe checking the log files under System Profiler will provide some info but most likely nothing useful.
For me this issue was solved by going into Login Options for my User Account (Sys Prefs / Users & Groups) and deleting the Network Account Server info (it had remembered my work's Exchange Server from an old email account). After I deleted that server, the errors went completely away.