I'm aware that the 6-core only supports up to 32G of RAM as compared with the 8 core. That's a decision I'm wrestling with.[...] but (from a RAM perspective) I've never been one of those guys who loads up every articulation from the outset. I load 'em as I need 'em.
Well? You don't need much RAM, but a limit of 32 GIGAbytes may be a problem?? Have you ever counted 32 gigabytes? They're a whopping 256 gigabits you know!
Hexacores are becoming more "clotting edge", but still I would go for the two by four: 16 cores vs 12 cores. With Logic, I'd prefer more but slower cores over less but faster. And though the hexacore outscores the 2x4 in Geekbench (14,000-ish vs 12,000-ish), the benchmarks for Logic give the 2x4 the edge:
And now for something completely different:
Does OSX and Logic now take full advantage of the 6 core machines?
I'm guessing the bus speed on the 6 core trumps the bus speed on the 8.
I know the 8's are proven, solid machines but I'm attracted to the fast 6 core as VI and effects should do well with the fast CPU and bus.
I haven't used a 6 core but everything I've seen suggests Logic uses all cores just fine and it performs very well. The current Logic uses all cores including HT on all machines but the 12 core (where it maxes at 16).
The 4 ram slots isn't great (especially if you want to keep the ram triple channel which limits you to 24 gigs), but now the 8 gig chips are cheap enough that it's not as big a deal as it used to be. And while 32 is a lot, there are libraries that can use that much. Maybe now its more than enough but as sample libraries get bigger I expect there will be people who will need more than that. Right now I'm running 22 gigs and that's a good fit for me, but I can see needing to go higher when I get bigger libraries. The flip side is down the road putting libraries on SSD should allow lowering the buffer sizes and use a bit less ram.
In benchmarks the 8 and 6 seem pretty close. But using Logic I rarely run out of power loading up all the CPUs, the limit I usually run into is playing in a track and Logic spikes the CPU on one core. For that reason I'd probably go with the 6/3.33 since the higher clock speed gives more when Logic puts lots of load on one core. But that's just if I absolutely had to buy today, otherwise I'd definitely wait and see what the next generation brings.
Hi Mike and Everyone,
Thanks for your replies!
Mike, I really appreciate you sharing your perspectives on the 6 versus the 8. I hear ya about waiting for the next gen of computer, but I imagine that it would be shipped with Lion and I'd be concerned whether Logic 8.0.2 (my preferred version) would run on it.
I discussed this with an Apple rep a few weeks ago, and he said that he couldn't predict if 8.0.2 would run on Lion. OK, fair enough. When I asked if I'd be able to install Leopard or Snow Leopard on a next gen computer he said "no", explaining that the motherboards of any new model wouldn't support running an older OS.
I'd be curious to get your take on that.
With Much Appreciation,
Hey, like, you know, I'm a film score composer. If I can't evoke a sense of the dramatic then what would I be? I'd be [sniff] nothing, nothing at all .
Then again, I'm more partial to romantic comedies but I'll take a serial killer film if one happened to cross my doorstep. Chianti anyone? Chianti?
(Aw jeez, there I go... I don't post on the forum for the longest time and when I come back, what do I do? I start rambling. Can ya stand it?!)
Good point about Lion, I assume 9.x should run fine and either the previous update was tested on 10.7 betas or there will be an update for the new OS. Logic 8 I haven't installed on my intel box when I moved from my G5 so I don't know what to say about that. I have been happy with 9 and it definitely has had updates specifically for the new machines. When you make the switch to new hardware you may want to give 9 another shot.
One thing to keep in mind is even if you end up getting the current model, once the new machines ship the prices should drop a bit on the old ones.
So is anyone here running the 10.7 beta with Logic 8 or 9? Or seen info about it elsewhere?
The eventual price drop is something I'd love to take advantage of, but need trumps the potential savings at the moment.
As far as Logic 9 goes, there's certainly lots to love and I'll install it on my new system. But as far as using it as my main version, no can do, sadly... There are three or four functions that have changed drastically compared to L8 and I can't deal with those differences. I won't bore you with the details, but save to say that when I compose on Logic 9 I feel like I'm walking up a sand hill, whereas on L8 I'm being carried along in a sedan chair.
OK, maybe that's a bit inaccurate... Out of the four sedan chair carriers, one of them walks with a limp, and another one has to stop every few blocks to re-tie his shoelaces. But other than that...
Great, thanks again for the perspectives and advice.
Versions... I updated my profile to reflect the new stuff but it's not showing up. I'll tinker with the controls and see if I can make that appear. But for now...
Logic 9.1.5 (just updated this evening from 9.1.3)
OSX 10.6.8 (just updated this evening from 10.6.7)
20 G RAM (the original 4 that came with the computer + 16G extra)
Three additional 1.5T hard drives (projects, samples 1, samples 2)
I also have Logic 8.0.2 installed on it.
Hope all's well with you!