This might already be known, but, since I haven't seen it anywhere, I thought I should post it, in case someone with more knowledge can do something about it:
- The basic difference between iTunes 10.3 and 10.4 is in the application itself and in the ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.itl.
- As far as I know, Front Row doesn't care which specific version iTunes.app is. iTunes connectivity is effected exclusively through iTunes Library.itl.
- As a matter of fact, if you replace your 10.4 iTunes Library.itl with the latest version you had under 10.3.1 (you can locate it under ~/Music/iTunes/Previous iTunes Libraries), Front Row and iTunes connectivity will be automatically restored IN FULL.
- The catch is if you open iTunes 10.4, it'll modify your iTunes Library.itl and connectivity with Front Row will be once again eliminated.
- So, for those of you who might want the temporary "solution" of downgrading iTunes to version 10.3.1, do the following:
- Get yourself a valid copy of the 10.3.1 version of iTunes.app.
- Open ~/Music/iTunes.
- Rename iTunes Library.itl to iTunes Library.itl.bak.
- Locate your latest iTunes Library.itl (it'll be named something like iTunes Library 2011-07-30.itl) in ~/Music/iTunes/Previous iTunes Libraries and copy it to ~/Music/iTunes.
- Rename it iTunes Library.itl
- Open a terminal window.
- Enter "cd /Applications" (without the quotation marks).
- Enter "sudo rm -fdr iTunes.app" (without the quotation marks).
- It will ask for your administrative password; enter it.
- With that, iTunes 10.4 has been erased. Quit terminal.
- Now, copy your iTunes 10.3.1 application to /Applications.
- If necessary, repair permissions.
- You are done. You have a fully functional iTunes 10.3.1 and Front Row 2.2.1 running on Lion.
- In addition, since the system knows you already installed iTunes 10.4, it won't be offered as an update. Hopefully, by the time iTunes 10.5 and iCloud arrive, someone will have discovered how to fix Front Row and iTunes 10.4+ connectivity.
ITunes operates in full screen mode and you can use the Apple remote control to. Its works, not exactly like Front Row, but it is enough to turn on ITunes, switch musics, radio channels, stop, froward, play movies...etc...etc.
Instead of patching the system, why not just use ITunes until Apple solves the problem? ICloud is coming, soon, I'm sure that Apple is working on something better!
Yours is no response. Whether Apple is working on something "better" is very much a matter of opinion. Those of us who like Front Row may not want something "better". For instance, some people usually mention Plex or other solutions I personally dislike. If Apple are working on something "better", I might like it, but perhaps I won't. For now, we can retain full functionality of Front Row on Lion with iTunes 10.3.1, and perhaps with future versions if somehow we get Front Row to "understand" the changes introduced in iTunes Library.itl with version 10.4.
In my personal opinion I have told you even if it is accidentally addressed to you:)
if you not need something more better then Front Row why should switched use the lion?
Why you're not the president of Apple?
Maybee Apple put back Front Row later, as he put back into iPhoto the calendar function...
You seem to be confused. Someone may want certain advantages of one product (Lion) while trying to avert certain disadvantages of ANOTHER product (iTunes 10.4 running on Lion). And that has nothing to do with being the president of anything. If Apple release a new versoin of Front Row for Lion (even if we have to pay for it), it'll probably be a welcome addition, but, for now, we've discovered that the SL version of Front Row runs just fine on Lion with iTunes 10.3.1, but loses its iTunes connectivity if we upgrade to iTunes 10.4 and above. So, there are several choices now:
- Do nothing about the absence of Front Row on Lion, claiming it's a useless product or that "better" options are available (Plex, etc.).
- Do nothing about the absence of Front Row on Lion, hoping Apple will release a new version at an undertermined future date.
- Install Front Row 2.2.1 on Lion and have full functionality with iTunes 10.3.1, hoping that Apple or a third party (a hacker?) will achieve full integration with later versions of iTunes.
- Install Front Row 2.2.1 on Lion with iTunes 10.4, losing iTunes integration, but retaining all other non-iTunes functions (like movie trailers).
I Think you are the one who is very very confused.
"non-iTunes functions "
ITunes is full with movie trailers as far i know....(ITunes--ITunes Store---Movies--Movie Trailers)
Front Row it was allways full with bugs..please do not force me to list them again....
YES, I do waiting for something much, much better!!! until i use what i have!
System pach is works only until the next update!!! and than what? --ohh pach again?
"Front Row it was allways full with bugs..please do not force me to list them again...."
Oh really? I've been using Front Row for a couple of years now and I have not experienced one glitch at all, which isn't surprising considering how simple the software, the interface and the concept is, which also explains why it is so popular.
Apple, plain and simple was stupid for killing Front Row, just like they were stupid for removing the DVD drive from the Mac Mini and just like they were stupid for removing many used features from Finat Cut X and just like they were stupid to demand 30% from merchants like Amazon and Barnes and Noble to make purchases within apps, forcing them to remove any references on how to purchase content, which for the novice, a big percentage of iPad users, leaves them lost and confused.
I love Apple and their products but they seem to be starting to lose touch with their customers. The one thing though about Apple is that in the past they would often correct their screwups, like the iPod Shuffle stick version and them going going back to the previous design. Hopefully that Apple, the one that wasn't afraid to admit they screwed up, still exists.
Keep taking care of your customers Apple; that's one of your biggest strengths.
You probably did not notice the bugs, because you only used with the dvd drive:DDD
"which also explains why it is so popular."
-Where was popular??? in the american Senior club???
"stupid for removing the DVD drive from the Mac Mini"
-Wake up! nobody using DVD anymore!!!! time is up like VHS, Apple Cloud is comming!
- "iPod Shuffle stick version and them going going back to the previous design."
-You probably a big huge fat american with hot dog fingers, losing weight is better than buy bricks!
Run for Apple president Man! or just simply go back to school and finish your high school!
"You probably did not notice the bugs, because you only used with the dvd drive:DDD"
No, I used it exclusively with content from iTunes and iPhoto. In other words, music, movies, video and audio podcasts and photos.
"-Where was popular??? in the american Senior club???"
What does "American" have to do with what we are discussing?
Obviously a lot of people used Front Row, like most in this and similar threads.
"-Wake up! nobody using DVD anymore!!!! time is up like VHS, Apple Cloud is "
Then maybe you should tell Apple that so they can stop selling it as a separate add on device and so that they do a recall and remove it from recently updated products, like the MacBook Pro and iMacs.
You don't even know the difference between what iCloud does and is supposed to do and what Front Row does.
"You probably a big huge fat american with hot dog fingers, losing weight is better than buy bricks!"
That's the second anti-American remark you have made, which is funny considering you are using an American product and posting to an American website.
"Run for Apple president Man! or just simply go back to school and finish your high school."
And maybe you can grow up.
Why are you posting to this discussion anyway? Front Row doesn't mean anything to you so you posting here makes no sense. Go do something productive.
I would advise that patently stupid tirades by ignoramuses about how "buggy" Front Row supposedly "was" be summarily ignored. Such individuals are totally incapable of providing one single instance of such "bugs" and they contribute absolutely nothing to this thread other than their own lunacy.
Instead of giving an answer to such absurdity, we should concentrate our efforts in finding a way (in case Apple don't create a revamped version of Front Row after iTunes 10.4) to make Front Row "understand" the new format of iTunes Library.itl.
load of many users to replace the dvd drive to SSD in New IMac and Macbook Pro since you can rent HD movies from ITunes! you dont need anymore Front Row, cloud is replace all that soon!
Most new TV capable to play movies from a single USB hard drive, and have built in internet! conectivity! so i can play my pictures from ICloud:)
My wife is american, iam europian...
I teach using mac, besides i have a small butik Hotel (Guest House) and i am professional dancer an musician!
Check my profile ashole!
You can be proud of yourself! congratulation!