In both my iPod Classic and the iPod application on my iPhone, the artists list is cluttered with collaborating artists (e.g., "M83, Big Black Delta & Daft Punk"). However, in iTunes 10.4.1, the artists list (when in grid view) is collapsed to album artists, when that field is defined.
I am trying to duplicate the behavior of iTunes from within my iPod, and am having no luck.
For clarity, here's an example list of albums:
- "Human After All", by "Daft Punk" - http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/human-after-all/id388195039
- "Tron: Legacy", by "Daft Punk" - http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/tron-legacy-original-motion/id406192538
- "Tron: Legacy Reconfigured", by "Daft Punk" (tracks are by numerous contributing artists) - http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/tron-legacy-reconfigured/id426251101
In iTunes, when in grid view sorted by artist, the entry "Daft Punk" contains all three of these albums. However, in an iPod (both the device and iPod app) it's listed as follows:
- Daft Punk
- Daft Punk & Avicii
- Daft Punk & Boys Noize
- Daft Punk & Com Truise
- Daft Punk & Kaskade
- Daft Punk & Ki:Theory
- Daft Punk & Moby
- Daft Punk & Paul Oakenfold
- Daft Punk & Photek
- Daft Punk & Pretty Lights
- Daft Punk & Sander Kleinenberg
- Daft Punk & Teddybears
- Daft Punk & The Crystal Method
- Daft Punk & The Glitch Mob
- Daft Punk & The Japanese Popstars
… (much further down)
- M83, Big Black Delta & Daft Punk
The albums "Human After All" and "Tron: Legacy" are both listed under "Daft Punk", whereas the album "Tron: Legacy Reconfigured" is split up, as every single track is by a different collaboration of artists.
Let me preemptively state that, yes, I have marked "Tron: Legacy Reconfigured" as a compilation, and have tried using "Album Artist", "Grouping", "Sort Artist", and "Sort Album Artist". Using those fields did fix the misplacement of the track by M83, Big Black Delta & Daft Punk, but it did not collapse the artist listing into just "Daft Punk", as I wanted.
Is there a solution to my problem here, short of changing the artist field for the collaboration tracks?
(sorry for the long post, I had trouble phrasing my problem clearly)