Skip navigation

Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life

550564 Views 2,725 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2013 6:55 AM by Nickofari RSS Branched to a new discussion.
  • DrChandra Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 24, 2011 5:07 PM (in response to McDave)

    Thank you "MacDave" for calling me a Troll! It seems that more points some users have next to their name, it means that Apple is going to be defended to the last drop of their blood!

     

    I have no Apple points but I've got my first PC in 1987 and since then most of the time I'm surrounded with computers. I work in a high-tech environment as IT professional but on this forum I see myself as an individual who spent nice amount of money on something that was not advertised correctly and try to find help or answer how to fix this.

     

     

    I am really surprised how many people here are so happy to act as advocates for $400 billion empire for their own money. You can call me a troll or whatever you like but read this and think about it!

     

     

    With SL prior to the last update as a reference point it's not so hard to make a conclusion that something is wrong, no need to be tech savvy. I’ve tried clean install with only Apple core applications and battery failed again. Do I really need to spend any more time on third party apps while Apple stuff still pose the problem.

     

     

    I can't calculate the total of money that I spent since 1987 on IT equipment but I can tell you that I don't want to be anymore a free-tester for my own money. Apple said 7 hours and we all know that was achievable and under what conditions. Now, we can’t get even close to that under the same conditions it’s simple as that.

     

     

    MacDave, unless you work for Apple I really don’t see why would you advocate for them (sadly many more on this forum). Franc and me just want so say that we need to keep pressure on them until they find a solution.

     

     

    Sincerely yours

     

     

    Dr Chandra (the Troll)

  • Rayced Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 24, 2011 5:10 PM (in response to McDave)

    MacDave: you're the only one here claiming a longer battery life after installing Lion.

    Please post your stats to prove your argument.

    Possibly compared to Snow Leopard's ones, as many other users are doing.

    It'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

  • hsuuperman Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 24, 2011 6:20 PM (in response to Rayced)

    Haven't chimed in on this thread in a while. Just noticed my battery life drop from cycle 10 to cycle 11 by a much larger amount than expected even though running SL (6858 to 6728). Is this a normal loss of full charge capacity or should I be concerned?

     

    I am getting fairly decent battery life on a downgraded machine from a preinstalled Lion to SL though. Averaging about 6-7 hours while using Chrome for browsing and with some occasional other apps in the background (word, excel).

  • William Kucharski Level 6 Level 6 (14,400 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 24, 2011 7:17 PM (in response to Rayced)

    Rayced wrote:

     

    MacDave: you're the only one here claiming a longer battery life after installing Lion.

     

    That's not true; I was (among the?) first to claim that and stand by it.

     

    My MacBook Pro 5,1 went from an average of 3.5 to 4 hours under SL to 4.5 - 5 hours under Lion.

  • DrChandra Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 24, 2011 7:20 PM (in response to William Kucharski)

    Déjà vu - 6 points

  • Rayced Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2011 1:02 AM (in response to William Kucharski)

    @Kucharski: though I guess you were using a third party software under SL which you haven't ported on Lion install.

    (sarcatic mode off)

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,360 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2011 3:57 AM (in response to Rayced)

    Rayced wrote:

     

    MacDave: you're the only one here claiming a longer battery life after installing Lion.

    Please post your stats to prove your argument.

    Possibly compared to Snow Leopard's ones, as many other users are doing.

    It'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    I have had no discernable change in battery life since upgrading to Lion, so you're claim is not supported here either.

  • Ilhan Kudeki Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2011 4:43 AM (in response to Csound1)

    ...And my axe!

     

     

    But seriously guys, some of us have a real problem, and a lot of other people don't.  This thread is about the problem its title addresses.  Thank you commenters, for pointing out that your battery life has either improved or not changed -- something that tells us the problem is not universal -- but that doesn't take away from my experience, or the fact that this thread is at 64 pages now for a reason.

     

    It's good to be skeptical, but to make comments when you're not experiencing the problem yourself is not at all helpful.

  • Franc_Iphone Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2011 5:13 AM (in response to Csound1)

    csound1, thanks for taking the time to help.

     

    After a safe reboot, I was getting 3hrs 31mins shown.

     

    After the normal reboot, I am getting about 5hrs again. Here are the two log files.

     

    At most times CPU usage was 97% idle.

     

    1st Image showing 60 processes is SAFE MODE.

    Screen Shot 2011-10-25 at 8.11.25 AM.png

    THis one is normal mode. 65 processes

    Screen Shot 2011-10-25 at 8.12.32 AM.png

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,360 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2011 5:23 AM (in response to Ilhan Kudeki)

    Ilhan Kudeki wrote:

     

    ...And my axe!

     

     

    But seriously guys, some of us have a real problem, and a lot of other people don't.  This thread is about the problem its title addresses.  Thank you commenters, for pointing out that your battery life has either improved or not changed -- something that tells us the problem is not universal -- but that doesn't take away from my experience, or the fact that this thread is at 64 pages now for a reason.

     

    It's good to be skeptical, but to make comments when you're not experiencing the problem yourself is not at all helpful.

    I'm not skeptical, I'm pointing out that it is not universal so there must be a definable cause, and that cause should be able to be located using the Activity Monitor, and some time.

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,360 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2011 5:31 AM (in response to Franc_Iphone)

    Franc_Iphone wrote:

     

    csound1, thanks for taking the time to help.

     

    After a safe reboot, I was getting 3hrs 31mins shown.

     

    After the normal reboot, I am getting about 5hrs again. Here are the two log files.

     

    At most times CPU usage was 97% idle.

     

    1st Image showing 60 processes is SAFE MODE.

    Screen Shot 2011-10-25 at 8.11.25 AM.png

    THis one is normal mode. 65 processes

    Screen Shot 2011-10-25 at 8.12.32 AM.png

    You'll have to run for a few days to see if this is permanent or not

  • Franc_Iphone Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2011 5:44 AM (in response to Csound1)

    Thanks again Csound1. Sadly, I just cannot run the machine in these modes, given my work needs.

     

    However, can I ask you a question. I have been doing benchmarks (from 10000 user/seat mainframes to comparison of PC's, mobile devices etc., for over 20+ years. I get the principals of testing, clean environments, reptitive environments et al.

     

    So;

     

    I can make my Macbook go from 7 hours to 3 hours (I've tested to full drain) by starting just one application of many that have this same symptom. Lets pick one, Twitter, the one from the Apple App Store that you could get as well. The exact same 7 hrs to 3 hours happens when I start and stop Iphoto on it's own as well. So. with nothing else running, I get this symptom for each app. Reproducible over and over again. Let us assume Iphoto and Twitter have the same "bad code" or something that others have hinted at. Running either of these, after the first 20 seconds, the CPU % IDle on my machine is about 97%. Disk acitivty is also neglible. What would you "guess" is the problem and what could I look for. I can start/stop either Twitter and IPhoto if that helps but if the activity monitor shows almost zip in terms of usage, what the heck else can I look for? If I stop either app, battery life shoots back up to 7 hours.

  • Csound1 Level 7 Level 7 (32,360 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2011 5:56 AM (in response to Franc_Iphone)

    Franc_Iphone wrote:

     

    Thanks again Csound1. Sadly, I just cannot run the machine in these modes, given my work needs.

    I meant to run it in normal mode from now on, if the battery useage increases then another look will be needed.

  • Franc_Iphone Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2011 6:12 AM (in response to Csound1)

    Csound1 or anyone else, any comments on my main question, below;

     

    I can make my Macbook go from 7 hours to 3 hours (I've tested to full drain) by starting just one application of many that have this same symptom. Lets pick one, Twitter, the one from the Apple App Store that you could get as well. The exact same 7 hrs to 3 hours happens when I start and stop Iphoto on it's own as well. So. with nothing else running, I get this symptom for each app. Reproducible over and over again. Let us assume Iphoto and Twitter have the same "bad code" or something that others have hinted at. Running either of these, after the first 20 seconds, the CPU % IDle on my machine is about 97%. Disk acitivty is also neglible. What would you "guess" is the problem and what could I look for. I can start/stop either Twitter and IPhoto if that helps but if the activity monitor shows almost zip in terms of usage, what the heck else can I look for? If I stop either app, battery life shoots back up to 7 hours.

     

    Here's the image with just Iphoto running (Minimized), taking 2 hours from the battery life;

     

    Screen Shot 2011-10-25 at 9.12.09 AM.png

  • putnik Level 3 Level 3 (620 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 25, 2011 6:15 AM (in response to Franc_Iphone)

    I know that when I found the high CPU usage caused, in that case, by Google Talk (video), the process only showed very intermittently and I was lucky to notice it.  But the core temperature was reaching 93C, so something was clearly amiss.

     

    Maybe, apart from Activity Monitor, your system log in Console might show up something, like activity by Twitter, or in my case, Skype, trying to connect even when the computer lid is closed overnight.

     

    Anybody with a definite problem would be as well to take these logs and post them to Apple on their bug report form.

1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 ... 182 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (62)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.