There is no mechanism on the Thunderbolt display to switch between the signals, so what you're trying to do probably won't work. If you want to share the display, you could always remote control the 2nd machine. If you have 2 Macs, you could use Apple Remote Desktop to remote control the 2nd Mac across the network. Or, you might be able to use Chicken VNC as a free alternative: http://sourceforge.net/projects/chicken/ How To: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bccoyb8YMIU
Thanks - you're probably right, but I was hoping someone might have figured out a hack. I don't need to switch between them very often (like not often enough that I'd need a KVM switch), and VNC systems don't seem to work reliably with both plugged in to the T-bolt.
Ijust wanted the convenience of some sort of auto-detection so that when the laptop is plugged in, it has the con, and when it's not, the other machine does. The system behaves like that about 40% of the time, but requires a reboot the other 60%. Seems like it would be a nice feature for people who have a travel and home machine and would continue to encourage that behavior, which feels like it fits in with where all of this is going for Apple.
Update: new firmware update for the MBP relating to Thunderbolt compatibility: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1450
I wonder if this has any effect. Will let you know.
The best, most relaibe way to do this is via VNC.
You will be able to use the TB display with the main Mac you use then VNC the other Mac whenever you need to use it.
I am at college at the moment, but I will see what I use and send you the details as I have a similar situation at home and use different VNCs for different machines. Intel Macs need certain types of VNCs. G5s need PPC VNCs...
TB KVMs and hubs will come along eventually. Just not yet!