I deleted the share on both my ReadyNAS and on the LIon server then started again. This time I:
- On ReadyNAS - Created a share (testnfs)
- On ReadyNAS - shared testnfs via nfs, set root access to ip address of Lion server
- On Lion Server - Open Disk Utility and select 'File > NFS Mounts'
- On Lion Server - Mount nfs://url_of_ReadyNAS/testnfs as /Volumes/testnfs left all other options alone
- On Lion Server - in Finder, go to /Volumes and check testnfs has mounted with r/w permissions
- On Lion Server - in Server app, go to file sharing and share testnfs (I selected afp, smb and webdav)
- On Client - in Finder, connect to Lion server (i tried with afp://url_of_Lion_Server, smb://url_of_Lion_Server and https://url_of_Lion_Server/webdav and see the testnfs share as one of the options
All good so far.
The problem I'm no facing is that I can't rename the files on testnfs from the client. I can create/delete and open files and folders ok. I guess this is something to do with permissions.
Did some more playing around this afternoon. It seems that the export from the ReadyNAS needs to be set as:
I can do this by disabling default access and adding the Lion Server IP address both as a "write-enabled host" and a "root-privilege enabled" host. I guess the FreeNAS interface allows for the same settings.
I can now rename, edit, delete, create to my hearts content. Even works from webdav.
Final hint: you may need to change permissions for any files already in the nfs reshare.
oh dear, spoke to soon. Permissions for files created on the share seem to be 744 i.e. only owner can change an existing file or folder. I need to work out how to make this 770 so I can create a group folder on the nfs share, accessible via webdav. Note: ACLs don't seem to work on my ReadyNAS so it will have to be done via POSIX permissions.
No luck with the same try: NFS-Share from Linux System with
mounted /nfsexport via DiskUtility to /Volumes/nfs
used Server.app to share this volume - but I cannot access it.
From Mac (AFP) I cannot "see" the share, via SMB I can see it, but get access denied.
I don`t know how you managed this - maybe someone else has a hint how to reshare NFS via AFP with 10.7.3 Lion Server?