Currently Being ModeratedDec 12, 2011 9:17 AM (in response to Andy Woollard)
First concentrate on the one client that seems to work and verify that it is indeed writing data to the server. i.e., add a contact on that client then go check the /var/log/caldavd/access.log file to make sure that a PUT request was done for that user's address book (note you may have to wait a few seconds for the PUT to happen) - the status code for the PUT should be 201. If the PUT does not occur, or occurs with a status code in the 400 range, then check the client console log looking for issues related to AddressBook.
Once you can confirm that one client is working, then setup another client with a new account. Again look at the access log to verify that requests are coming from that client and going to the correct URI for the user you have configured.
Currently Being ModeratedDec 12, 2011 9:51 AM (in response to Cyrus Daboo)
Thanks for that. I cant check till tomorrow but I assume the client must be writing somewhere as it remembers the entries. Not sure you got the point that I need other clients to access the SAME account with the same logins and read, add or delete to it as required.
I will check the logs you suggested and get back in the morning
Currently Being ModeratedDec 12, 2011 10:56 PM (in response to Andy Woollard)
Yes, they SHOULD see the same thing. So, let me understand correctly....
In address book, under Preferences -> Accounts, you have an accounts other than On My Mac that shows up there? It is of type CardDAV? The username is adserver. Under server settings for this user, it has the DNS name for the address book server. This is true on all machines. Is this all correct?
When you add a new contact, you click on the group name for that account, not on All Contacts. Under that group name, you then add a new contact. If you add the new contact under the other groups, then, it's local.
Currently Being ModeratedDec 13, 2011 12:57 AM (in response to sfatula)
In addressbook preferences it is as you say CardDav with server details showing the dns name of the server is the same. However the server path is different on each. The account was created by just entering the server name, username, and password. The server path .... /principals/__uids__/A915F6E0-3CE2-4C1F-B828-D9DEB58FF3AB/ was generated by the mac and is different on each machine. There does not seem to be a way of setting this.
I am looking at the group for that account and adding addresses having selected that group.
I have even created a subgroup of the user and can add to that and it appears locally it also appears in the all adserver list. The subgroup however does not appear on any other mac (nor do the addresses added)
Have you actually got this working yourself or are you speaking based on what should happen? I completely agree on what should happen but I have now tried this on a second server setup and it simply doesn't.
Currently Being ModeratedDec 13, 2011 7:37 AM (in response to Andy Woollard)
If the /principals path is different for each client, then they are each pointing at different accounts on the server. I am not sure how you can get that using the same user id for each account.
If you use Safari to display the /principals/__uids__/XXX path on your server, do the resulting principal pages for each client show the same user name?
Currently Being ModeratedDec 13, 2011 8:27 AM (in response to Cyrus Daboo)
If I paste /principals/__uids__/13F60F62-A784-48DF-8C45-29E1E465F343/ into safari it just cant find it.
That is on the server.. it puts File in front.
same result if i put the server name in front.
I agree. if the paths are different its not surprising they are looking at different places. But why on earth is it doing that when you set it up with the same credentials?
have you made this work yourself? I am beginning to wonder if I am going daft!!
I appreciate your input Thankyou.
Currently Being ModeratedDec 13, 2011 8:51 AM (in response to Cyrus Daboo)
now this got stupider.
I just set up one of the accounts on a different mac and the **** thing worked!!! It has changed the path on the account when you view it on the server address book prefs and they now MATCH and they work perfectly. I have done nothing different that I can think of Maybe there is something about the order things are set up in?
I am now going to try to delete it on the first client and set it up again
Did that and that works too!!!!
Any ideas about what went on will be more than welcome!!!
Currently Being ModeratedDec 13, 2011 10:39 AM (in response to Andy Woollard)
To answer your question, yes, we are using shared address book just as you are trying to. Always worked for us. We didn't migrate to Lion server though, always think that causes more trouble. We simply did a new install of Lion server.
Can't think of any reason for a different principal showing up. Something got mesed up somewhere.
Currently Being ModeratedDec 13, 2011 11:09 AM (in response to sfatula)
This is a clean new install of lion. One of the servers is now working fine and You also have it working so at least I know it CAN work. The original server still wont cooperate but i will persevere with adding clients in various orders untill something clicks as it did on this one
Thanks for your help and advice
Currently Being ModeratedFeb 6, 2012 1:50 PM (in response to Andy Woollard)
You have the Problem, that any user who left your company, know the password to access your contacts. Maybe you found a better solution for your company with FM2LDAP. Take a look at
You can manage your Contacts with Filemaker, and put it on your LDAP-Server. From here, you can acsess your contacts from anywhere. Also can you manage access-rights to your Contacts with Server ACLs.