Currently Being ModeratedDec 17, 2011 7:26 AM (in response to bloofish47)
Like many others, I have been annoyed by "Error Reading Setings" for profile manager and wiki. I have tried many solutions without success unless I reinstaled Kion and Server from scratch - what a waste of time. Today I tried bloofish47's solution of 3 Nov. It worked! I am back to normal.... for now anyway. Thank you!
Let's hope Apple sort out a fix. Lion Server really is a dumbed down piece of software - can I use my Snow leopard Server with Lion? Itw as so much more flexible and reliable. What's going wrong with Apple's quality? More and more issues arising on so many fronts as they introduce poorly tested systems and software.
Currently Being ModeratedMar 2, 2012 10:10 AM (in response to er33)
Solved! At least for me...
I have described all solutions to the major problems I've been having from a crippled 10.7.3 install to a flourishing one here:https://discussions.apple.com/message/17740033#17740033
Hope this helps!
Currently Being ModeratedApr 14, 2012 12:55 AM (in response to Mark23)
Thank you Mark23. That works for me to! The Wiki and Profile-Manager Problem is gone.
Currently Being ModeratedMay 22, 2012 12:00 PM (in response to bloofish47)
Thanks! I had just restored from Time Machine to revert to 10.7.3 and this fixed the "error reading settings issue". Saved my bacon today!
Currently Being ModeratedJul 24, 2012 5:20 PM (in response to er33)
Has anyone had this issue after installing aftermarket RAM? I upped the stock 4GB to 8GB (Crucial DDR3 PC3 10600) and things really haven't worked right since then. I spent several hours on the phone last week doing a reinstall and "proper" setup all on the stock RAM.
Thinking things were working well a reintalled the aftermarket 8GB. Profile manager worked for about a day and then a got the "Error Reading Setings" message. I put the stock 4GB back in and Profile Manager sprung back to life.
I'm working on returning the 8GB now...
Currently Being ModeratedJul 27, 2012 7:04 AM (in response to Alexander Weiss)
I'm getting this Profile Manager error under Mountain Lion Server 10.8. The script /usr/share/devicemgr/backend/wipeDB.sh has moved. I found it here:
Unfortunately, it ran with multiple error which I don't have the expertise to debug...
Anyone has a clue how to fix this error under 10.8?
Currently Being ModeratedAug 1, 2012 1:31 PM (in response to bloofish47)
works here too! nice. thanks bloofish47!
Currently Being ModeratedAug 24, 2012 11:41 AM (in response to bloofish47)
I didn't have any errors with the log file permissions, but the commands you provided did the trick.
Thanks @bloofish47!Mac mini, OS X Server
Currently Being ModeratedSep 6, 2012 1:42 PM (in response to bloofish47)
This completely works for people getting both the Wiki and Profile read errors. You may have to do a re-install of Server.app.
Currently Being ModeratedSep 15, 2012 1:52 PM (in response to bloofish47)
Bloofish47, I tried your solution but my fullstatus postgress shows everything
postgres:dataDirHasBeenInitialized = yes
postgres:PG_VERSION = "9.0.5"
postgres:dataDir = "/var/pgsql"
postgres:postgresIsResponding = yes
postgres:dataDirIsDirectory = yes
postgres:PGserverVersion = 90005
postgres:dataDirExists = yes
postgres:setStateVersion = 1
postgres:state = "RUNNING"
But I still get Error Reading Settings on Wiki Server
Currently Being ModeratedSep 15, 2012 4:39 PM (in response to rockhill04)
Did you try re-installing Server.app and restarting your cpu? I almost gave up before doing this out of frustration so I'd hate to see someone else do that.
Currently Being ModeratedSep 16, 2012 4:57 AM (in response to davidnjm)
Reinstall server app? How do you do that with losing the server? What happens to all data, profile manager info? The server has 18 users.
Currently Being ModeratedSep 16, 2012 5:46 AM (in response to rockhill04)
There are a few backup tools "hidden" in the Server.app package.
One of them is for backing up OD. View this post for helpful hints: https://discussions.apple.com/message/19042498#19042498
If you google it a bit, you'll find scripts that backup your Server apps.
Currently Being ModeratedMar 3, 2013 10:24 PM (in response to °Bernz°)
When I tried wipeDB.sh script, I got the following errors in /Library/Logs/ProfileManager/devicemgrd.log:
ProfileManager <Info>: Running rake command: '/usr/bin/rake --trace db:migrate'
ProfileManager <Info>: Output of rake command '/usr/bin/rake --trace db:migrate:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygem s.rb:777:in `report_activate_error': Could not find RubyGem rake (>= 0) (Gem::LoadError)
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygem s.rb:211:in `activate'
from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygem s.rb:1056:in `gem'
I tracked it down to /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/webserver/devi cemgrd, which is a ruby script that begins with:
#!/usr/bin/env GEM_HOME=/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/webse rver/gems GEM_PATH=/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/webse rver/gems RAILS_ENV=production /usr/bin/ruby
And when I checked in the GEM directory given, no rake:
$ ls /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/webserver/gems /gems
I fixed the problem by adding ":/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8" to the end of the GEM_PATH in the devicemgrd script, and ran wipeDB.sh script again. Now the profile manager in the Server app works for me again.