There is a strangeness in Aperture which sometimes causes the filter on the Photos browser to get confused.
To check to see if this is your problem do:
- Select a smart folder in your library,anyone doesn't matter which.
- open this smart folders search box.
- Now without changing anything and leaving that search box open select the Photos icon
- The name of the search box will change to Smart Settings:Photos
- Look at the settings in this filter there should only be the Rating rule checked and it should be set to show all images (greater then or equal to X)
- If the filter has anything else set clear them all out and just have the rating set.
If this was your problem then the browser for the Photos should be back to showing all images.
Not the same question - but perhaps related: My problem is accesing ALL of my photos through the media browser of other apple applications. Specifically, in Mail, and within iTunes - when wanting transfer images to the iPhone, many photos are excluded. The folders and albums are all there and for some - all images are available. In other albums, for example, there are only (14) images available in an album that contains (173). Per the suggestion of some "techs" at the Apple store I rebuilt my library to no avail. FYI - I don't use smart albums.