1 2 3 4 Previous Next 54 Replies Latest reply: Feb 27, 2012 6:17 PM by Swampus
cosmichobo Level 3 Level 3 (515 points)

G'day,

 

Would you expect a G5 dual 1.8Ghz PowerMac to handle playback of a full HD - 1920x1050 p50 - quicktime MOV file without missing a frame/s?

 

Back in 2007 I used Sony XD Cameras, which recorded full HD.  We captured the footage using then new Intel Mac Pros, converting the files to .mov.  Playing them back on my 1.25GHz eMac would result in lots of dropped frames.

 

My G5 is meant to operate about twice as fast as the eMac... (though bench tests show it currently isn't)  I've just recorded full HD footage as noted above on a Panasonic TM900 prosumer camera, but the G5 can't even play a 1 minute clip from start to end - firstly its dropping frames, but by about 1/2 way through the clip, it stalls completely.

 

I was expecting I'd need to edit on my wife's Macbook Pro... but was a bit surprised that it couldn't handle playback at all...

 

 

Cheers

 

cosmic


PowerMac 2004 dual 1.8GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 1.25GHz RAM, 2x 1TB WD Green Drives, Stock Vid Card
  • 1. Re: PM dual1.8GHz - Full HD Video?
    Matthew Knice Level 1 Level 1 (70 points)

    Hey just a quick question...in your signature you state you have 2 WD Greens in the G5? You need faster RPM as 5400 isnt great at all.Id recommend the Caviar Blacks or the VelociRaptors (I use the Black 2TB Drives, they scream, and price/GB is much lower.) And by the way my G5 (4GB DDR 400MHz) DP1.8GHz runs 1080p HD fine. Just has to do with your graphics card I assume...

  • 2. Re: PM dual1.8GHz - Full HD Video?
    BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (116,475 points)

    How much Free space is on the G5's HDD? Is the RAM Maxed? How many icons are on the Desktop? (each one slows down 10.5.x noticeably... well a dozen can.)

  • 3. Re: PM dual1.8GHz - Full HD Video?
    Matthew Knice Level 1 Level 1 (70 points)

    Oh and btw the WD Blacks are 7200RPM (they also have dual processors inside the drives, which gives them a huge boost of speed over the Blue (your standard 7200RPM) plus the Blacks have a 64MB collassal Cache. And the VelociRaptors...all I know is that theyre beast and at 10,000RPM, theres not much you cant do with those. (Like I said I use 2 Blacks. They scream, of course though Im sure SSD is much faster, I think it would be interesting to see how well a VelociRapter keeps up with an SSD)

     

    Home Page: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/desktop/

     

    Caviar Blue: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=110

     

    Caviar Black: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=100

     

    VelociRaptor: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=20

     

    I think that the VelociRaptors are the best drives out there but $/GB is too high so me and 600GB Max isnt the way I roll. I like Collassal drives. So I know I won't ever fill them up. The only computer in my house with less than 1TB internally is my MacBook (750GB WD Scorpio Black 7200RPM 16MB Cache)

     

    Youre probably wondering why I am only using WD, but I dont know if you already know but Western Digital makes THE BEST and MOST RELIABLE HDDs hands down. Never had any fail me (lol I still have 6GB and 10GB WDs chillen around the house and they still work like a charm.I dont use them though. Too small.) Ive had too many bad experinces with Seagate and Samsung especially so Id stay far far away from them.

  • 4. Re: PM dual1.8GHz - Full HD Video?
    cosmichobo Level 3 Level 3 (515 points)

    BDAqua

     

    398GB/1TB free on the system drive, 180GB/1TB free on the "Scratch" drive that the media files are located on.  Both are the WD Green internally mounted drives.

     

    *cough* 1.25GB of RAM installed...

     

    3 hdd icons, plus 3-5 other icons on desktop.

     

    Stock video card installed.

     

     

    Matthew

     

    I bought the 1st Green drive (not really realising what they were - was just a "Mac MyBook" external hard drive) to use as Time Machine back up... but the enclosure failed...  Thinking it out of warranty, I opened the case, and put the drive into the G5... then sent a nasty email to WD... they wrote back and apologised, and sent me a free replacement... (yay) which then had the same fate (boo).  So, the G5 got a 2nd 1TB Green drive...  The speed I am pretty sure is the same as the 160GB stock drive that was in the machine.

     

    I'm reluctant to spend money on the setup now, as I bought the G5 from a pawn shop for $99, thinking I'd scored... then had to spend money on new processors... an LCD... etc etc... and whilst all up it's only at about $270 to date, I know I could pick up a refurb 27" iMac for about $1500... (or more ideally, a MacPro for about $2900) so every cent extra now is taking away from that, not to mention the looks I get from my wife... :} 

     

    (There is an "Apple Australia Tax" here on Mac Pros... about $500 above the US retail on the base model... which is grotesque, considering the exchange rate... an iMac is priced at very very close to US$/AU$....)

  • 5. Re: PM dual1.8GHz - Full HD Video?
    BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (116,475 points)

    Yeah, I think that little RAM has a lot to do with it... Geez, 10 GB on my G5/Quad running 10.5.8 will still run low!

     

    But Many "Green" drives will Sleep on their own, and/or have variable spindle speed... that you have no control over.

  • 6. Re: PM dual1.8GHz - Full HD Video?
    japamac Level 7 Level 7 (24,390 points)

    The 1.8 GHz processor is too weak for 720p or 1080p HD video.

    I would expect marginal to poor playback with 720p and expect poor to no playback with 1080p.

     

     

    Adding green drives to the mix further complicates and exacerbates the playback difficulties.

    Green drives have NO purpose in a performance situation, which HD requires.

    They are backup and archive drives, not boot nor scratch drives.

  • 7. Re: PM dual1.8GHz - Full HD Video?
    Swampus Level 2 Level 2 (180 points)

    The 1.8 GHz processor is too weak for 720p or 1080p HD video.

     

    He has a dual, though.  I can play 720p just fine on my dual 1.5 GHz G4 with either VLC or Quicktime/Perian.

     

    I also have a Green drive in my G4.  It's one of the older EADS models, but it's plenty fast enough for watching video. 

     

    I've never been able to play 1080p without dropping frames, though.  If there is any chance play 1080p on a dual 1.8, I suspect it would be with CorePlayer.

  • 8. Re: PM dual1.8GHz - Full HD Video?
    Matthew Knice Level 1 Level 1 (70 points)

    japamac wrote:

     

    Adding green drives to the mix further complicates and exacerbates the playback difficulties.

    Green drives have NO purpose in a performance situation, which HD requires.

    They are backup and archive drives, not boot nor scratch drives.

     

    Completely AGREED. My links even prove our points. The best drives for performance (rotational wise) are the Blacks (I have 2 and they work amazing wonders HUGE difference) The Blues are just your mainstream industry standard 7200RPM Drives.

     

     

    Swampus wrote:

     

    I also have a Green drive in my G4.  It's one of the older EADS models, but it's plenty fast enough for watching video. 

    Ok, thats your G4 and if Greens were actually as "good" as you say they are, then Manufacturers would be using them over Blues. And I dont see that happening. AND, it doesnt matter about the speed in a G4 because the IDE Buses in the G4s (max of ATA133) is the bottleneck anyway.

     

     

     

  • 9. Re: PM dual1.8GHz - Full HD Video?
    Swampus Level 2 Level 2 (180 points)

    I didn't say that.  Black drives are far superior.  I have both.  I'm saying that I can't imagine ANY modern hard drive being the limiting factor in this particular case.

  • 10. Re: PM dual1.8GHz - Full HD Video?
    Matthew Knice Level 1 Level 1 (70 points)

    Swampus wrote:

     

    I didn't say that.  Black drives are far superior.  I have both.  I'm saying that I can't imagine ANY modern hard drive being the limiting factor in this particular case.

    Ok modern or not its still 5400RPM (explains why laptops are usually sluggish thats why I have a 7200RPM WD Scorpio Black 750GB in mine) His video without a doubt I can almost PROMISE him that his video would playback better with a Blue even but I CAN PROMISE that his video will play much much much better if not flawlessy with a Black simply due to the entire system will run far faster with a Black.

  • 11. Re: PM dual1.8GHz - Full HD Video?
    Swampus Level 2 Level 2 (180 points)

    I'll suggest this for VLC:

     

    1)  Use version 1.1.12 for now.  The newest version 2.0 has some Altivec code disabled until they get some bugs worked out.  That's a HUGE hit to performance.

     

    2)  Go to Preferences > Input & Codecs and look toward the bottom for "Skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding".  Select "All" and click save.  Then quit & restart.

     

    3)  Go to Preferences and click the "All" radio button in the bottom left corner.  Then go to Input / Codecs > Access modules > file and increase the top setting (Caching value ms) to 3000 or so.  Click save.

  • 12. Re: PM dual1.8GHz - Full HD Video?
    Swampus Level 2 Level 2 (180 points)

    Matthew Knice wrote:

     

    Swampus wrote:

     

    I didn't say that.  Black drives are far superior.  I have both.  I'm saying that I can't imagine ANY modern hard drive being the limiting factor in this particular case.

    Ok modern or not its still 5400RPM (explains why laptops are usually sluggish thats why I have a 7200RPM WD Scorpio Black 750GB in mine) His video without a doubt I can almost PROMISE him that his video would playback better with a Blue even but I CAN PROMISE that his video will play much much much better if not flawlessy with a Black simply due to the entire system will run far faster with a Black.

     

     

    No.  Again, I agree that the Black is a fine drive, but the primary reason for this isn't even the maximum sustained read and writes.  A Black drive can improve performance in a lot of ways, but even the fasted HD in the world isn't going to make a difference when the CPU is choking on the bitrate.  Just look at the CPU use when you're playing 720p or 1080p on a PowerPC.  Since you bring it up, I've never even encountered a laptop 5400 RPM drive that couldn't handle the bitrate for HD video.  I use one for this in an external Firewire enclosure. 

  • 13. Re: PM dual1.8GHz - Full HD Video?
    Matthew Knice Level 1 Level 1 (70 points)

    Swampus wrote:

     

    Matthew Knice wrote:

     

    Swampus wrote:

     

    I didn't say that.  Black drives are far superior.  I have both.  I'm saying that I can't imagine ANY modern hard drive being the limiting factor in this particular case.

    Ok modern or not its still 5400RPM (explains why laptops are usually sluggish thats why I have a 7200RPM WD Scorpio Black 750GB in mine) His video without a doubt I can almost PROMISE him that his video would playback better with a Blue even but I CAN PROMISE that his video will play much much much better if not flawlessy with a Black simply due to the entire system will run far faster with a Black.

     

     

    No.  Again, I agree that the Black is a fine drive, but the primary reason for this isn't even the maximum sustained read and writes.  A Black drive can improve performance in a lot of ways, but even the fasted HD in the world isn't going to make a difference when the CPU is choking on the bitrate.  Just look at the CPU use when you're playing 720p or 1080p on a PowerPC.  Since you bring it up, I've never even encountered a laptop 5400 RPM drive that couldn't handle the bitrate for HD video.  I use one for this in an external Firewire enclosure. 

    Ok and yeah the CPU might be sluggish, however though his RAM should be increased. I play HD video on my G5 just fine and I still have the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 GPU. I have 4GB of RAM and DP 1.8GHz. It runs fine IF on the Hard Drive or External drive. NOT so much with Wi-Fi though but yeah. Thats Wi-Fi. And as for the 5400RPM laptop drive thing I meant Windows for the most part and its slowER than 7200RPM with Windows (I run Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit on my MacBook via Boot Camp) It was much slower with the original 250GB 5400RPM WD Blue drive (lol Apple even uses WD Drives, well my G5 shipped with a Seagate...but thats irrevelent due to its age.)

  • 14. Re: PM dual1.8GHz - Full HD Video?
    Matthew Knice Level 1 Level 1 (70 points)

    But anyway the bottom line is...putting a Black in that machine of his will definitely HELP his video playback.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next