1 91 92 93 94 95 Previous Next 2,266 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2014 2:35 AM by WSR Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • 1,380. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    gphonei Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    This is why I've constantly pushed people to call and plead with Apple Care, or the genius bar.  That is Apple's support path.  All the discussions on web forums are not for "bug reporting"!  They are for people helping people with "learning experiences".  There are a lot of new Apple customers, based on the numbers being reported by Apple.  Alot of those people are "Microsoft" people who seem to spend a lot of time on line taking with others to solve problems, because PC support can be so difficult to deal with.  The PC industry is starting to understand that they've not been doing a good job, and they are changing their ways, and/or bettering the support activities.

     

    Please, for anything that you have on a recurring basis, call Apple support, or get a Genius Bar appointment if there is a store near you.  That gets a lot more information into the "is there a bug" pipeline so that Apple can make the right diagnosis and take the appropriate action.

     

    Too many people were not going back for more help, and that really does "smell" like you don't have the problem any longer from a problem report perspective.

  • 1,381. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    benjikan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Totally Agree!

  • 1,382. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    torndownunit Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    gphonei wrote:

     

    This is why I've constantly pushed people to call and plead with Apple Care, or the genius bar.  That is Apple's support path.  All the discussions on web forums are not for "bug reporting"!  They are for people helping people with "learning experiences".  There are a lot of new Apple customers, based on the numbers being reported by Apple.  Alot of those people are "Microsoft" people who seem to spend a lot of time on line taking with others to solve problems, because PC support can be so difficult to deal with.  The PC industry is starting to understand that they've not been doing a good job, and they are changing their ways, and/or bettering the support activities.

     

    Please, for anything that you have on a recurring basis, call Apple support, or get a Genius Bar appointment if there is a store near you.  That gets a lot more information into the "is there a bug" pipeline so that Apple can make the right diagnosis and take the appropriate action.

     

    Too many people were not going back for more help, and that really does "smell" like you don't have the problem any longer from a problem report perspective.

     

    To be fair though look at some of the experiences people are having.  Why would they go back when they are being told that there is no problem and facing dismissive attitudes?   A lot of people would rather just return the machine when dealing with that.  The nearest mac store to me is about any hour away.  I have no desire to lug a 27" iMac there to be treated like an idtiot and be told there is no problem. 

     

    If it werent't for tha fact that I was able to remedy my issues, this machine would have been returned.   It's a late 2011 iMac I pruchased in December.  It immediately started having the problems, and they escalted.  I had a lot of work at the time, and through complete luck was able to it working though .  So I have kept with it.  But, I am completely afraid to run any updates on the machine in case the problems return (as reported by other people who had it 'fixed').

     

    To anyone having the issues who is planning on 'waiting it out' for the next update, I'd strongly suggest just hard-wiring to your modem/router with a ethernet cable in the meantime if it's an option.  It's a lot cheaper, and a lot less aggrevating than some of the solutions.

     

    But none of this changes the ridiculousness of this issue.   I have been using Macs for 15 years now.  I am not a new user.   This will very likely be my last Mac though.   To have to deal with nonsense like this on a brand new machine costing this much is beyond ridiculous.

  • 1,384. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    gphonei Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    torndownunit wrote:

     

    gphonei wrote:

     

    This is why I've constantly pushed people to call and plead with Apple Care, or the genius bar.  That is Apple's support path.  All the discussions on web forums are not for "bug reporting"!  They are for people helping people with "learning experiences".  There are a lot of new Apple customers, based on the numbers being reported by Apple.  Alot of those people are "Microsoft" people who seem to spend a lot of time on line taking with others to solve problems, because PC support can be so difficult to deal with.  The PC industry is starting to understand that they've not been doing a good job, and they are changing their ways, and/or bettering the support activities.

     

    Please, for anything that you have on a recurring basis, call Apple support, or get a Genius Bar appointment if there is a store near you.  That gets a lot more information into the "is there a bug" pipeline so that Apple can make the right diagnosis and take the appropriate action.

     

    Too many people were not going back for more help, and that really does "smell" like you don't have the problem any longer from a problem report perspective.

     

    To be fair though look at some of the experiences people are having.  Why would they go back when they are being told that there is no problem and facing dismissive attitudes?   A lot of people would rather just return the machine when dealing with that.  The nearest mac store to me is about any hour away.  I have no desire to lug a 27" iMac there to be treated like an idtiot and be told there is no problem.

    I am not trying to suggest that Apple has no problems to deal with.  As a person in the technology industry who does have to support software, and hardware, I do understand how it is possible to not forsee a particular class of problem, and further, to not even be testing for particular types of failure modes.

     

    For me, I can reason that Apple just wasn't prepared to believe there could be a "big problem."  I think that the heat is on them, finally, to compete with price, product and schedule, which is something that Apple hasn't always had to do, and because they didn't do that before, they didn't have tight enough process for test and evaluation of new hardware/software combinations.  They've had a pretty "ratty" network stack, and are probably finally starting to revamp it.  Look at the WEP fiasco with the iPad 1st Gen devices.  Look at how OS-X still can't provide a "shared network" with anything other than WEP.  They have work to do.  Things will change.  Be a good consumer, and buy the best value for you, but also, hold the companies accountable for their products by being in their face about the issues.  That, more than anything, will improve our experience as consumers.  Voting with your feet, without letting them know why you left, doesn't provide any useful information to help shape the industry.

  • 1,385. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    Cambo III Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Nah, nobody's following you anymore since you use all those faulty CAMERAS...! ;>)

     

    Hey, Benjikan, hope you're well. They are working on a fix for this, but it must be difficult, because it sure is taking a while.

     

    Are you shooting with a 645 these days (a Red one, I hope)? And you HAVE to go try a Q...they are unbelievable. The pictures don't do them justice - they are teeny, and exquisitely built. It's like a little Leica or something. Go check the out.

     

    Cheers,

    Cameron

  • 1,386. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    benjikan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I am using a couple of K5's which I love and still have my K20D's and a K10 & Kx.  Gave my daughter one of my K10's.

     

    Not shooting with the 645D...But if need be I might.  Looking forward to trying out the Pentax K-01 when it comes out.  Willbe great for our behind the scenes video's like these we have done already with the Kx..

     

    http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/2011/10/30/yulia-kharlapanova-risky-business- benjamin-kanarek-harpers-bazaar-espanol-november-2011/

     

    http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/2011/10/12/model-anne-sophie-monrad-photograp hed-benjamin-kanarek-vogue-portugal/

  • 1,387. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    Cambo III Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Great stuff as always, Benjikan.

     

    You MUST try the Q...it is WAY smaller than you think. It's a little jewel, it truly is.

     

    pentax_q.jpg

     

    Pentax-Q-Flash-VF.jpg

     

    This little camera is an INSTANT cult classic. Pentax has a hit on it's hands...you must see it in person to believe it! There's K mount adapters, and others...crop factor of 5.5...my 300mm f4.5 becomes a 1650 f4.5...

     

    I think you should wear one just as a fashion accessory!

     

    Cheers,

    Cameron

  • 1,388. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    jimfromdorch Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    I'm new to the "Cult", in the last six months I've gone Apple crazy, iPhone, iPod, Apple TV, MacBook Air, and now an iMac.  The switch from 25 years using Windows based systems with NO issues was tough enough, throw in a computer that drops wifi, has connectivity issues with a bluetooth mouse and other "glitches" i.e. adobe issues, remote log in issues, issues with using LibreOffice it's an easy fix ! ......Kijiji.   A lot of folks posting on here do really want to try and help, A lot like me are using it as a cry for help, hoping that posting here will eventually "get back to Apple" and they will magically fix the issues. I think the huge wave that Apple is riding right now is the result of Steve Jobs being in the news and unfortunately his passing. I know I never thought of a Mac until I saw his face in the news for weeks and weeks and weeks. The compatability issues, using a Mac in the "real world" and the present issues with this Lion powered unit make it obvious to me that I have made a bad choice, jumped in too far too fast, likely a lot more like me. Hence the ads on Kijiji. 

  • 1,389. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    NN2RL Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Do you think you two could possibly get a room and spare us the soap opera today?

     

    Thanks!

  • 1,390. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    benjikan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Sorry Guys and Gals

     

    Have a Great Weekend!

  • 1,391. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    Cambo III Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Give it time, Jim. I've been on Macs since 1998, and this is the longest running problem they have ever had. Must be a bad one or they would have fixed it by now.

     

    And you ran a Windoze based system for 25 years with 'no' problems....hmmm!?!! You are the only person on EARTH like that, my friend. I had more problems in a week on those dreadful things than I've had in almost 15 years on a Mac. Give it some time, and your patience will be rewarded.

     

    Cheers,

    Cameron

  • 1,392. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    Cambo III Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Just chatting with an old friend, sorry, and one of the worlds GREAT fashion photographers...you're not obligated to read it.

     

    Cheers,

    Cameron

  • 1,393. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    jimfromdorch Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    LOL..... i guess what I should say is , I never had an issue that I couldn't research, find an answer, and fix up on my own. I think maybe since I am just an average user I don't get into the technical thingamajiggers some people on here get into. This darn thing even freezes sometimes, spinning wheel, at restart sometimes it doesn't recognize the wired keyboard and I have to "fiddle with it".  A lot of little issues make an individual lose confidence in the machine.  keeps you thinking "what's next" to go wrong.  So for me "average user" I have an issue with keeping this puppy.  Love the iPhone and iPod !   They are staying..... but the macs....... :-(

  • 1,394. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    torndownunit Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    jimfromdorch wrote:

     

    LOL..... i guess what I should say is , I never had an issue that I couldn't research, find an answer, and fix up on my own. I think maybe since I am just an average user I don't get into the technical thingamajiggers some people on here get into. This darn thing even freezes sometimes, spinning wheel, at restart sometimes it doesn't recognize the wired keyboard and I have to "fiddle with it".  A lot of little issues make an individual lose confidence in the machine.  keeps you thinking "what's next" to go wrong.  So for me "average user" I have an issue with keeping this puppy.  Love the iPhone and iPod !   They are staying..... but the macs....... :-(

     

    You summed up exactly how I feel.  I have several other bizarre issues with Lion beyond this WiFi one.   The WiFi one is just the most frustrating because it's something that works on every other machine, even a 10 year old Dell Laptop we have using a Wifi card.  And works fine with the other Mac OS's.    I have never found a problem I can't troubleshoot on a Mac, I have even been able to fix some hardware issues myself.

     

    But ya, I have various other issues that occur completely randomly.  And I can't replicate any of them because they are so ramdom.  I am just not happy with Lion at all at this point.

1 91 92 93 94 95 Previous Next