1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2013 12:59 PM by Greg App
5thgenTexan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Title says it all. My TV supports 1080i, but not 1080p. Can ATV3 support that, or do I have to fall back to 720p?

 

Thanks,

Don

  • 1. Re: Does ATV3 support 1080i?
    Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6 (17,035 points)

    Excellent question.

     

    Have you checked the specs?

     

    I suspect it does.

  • 2. Re: Does ATV3 support 1080i?
    5thgenTexan Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Yes, I went there first. No mention of 1080i, or any interlaced mode for that matter.

  • 3. Re: Does ATV3 support 1080i?
    Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6 (17,035 points)

    You're right:

     

    Compatible with high-definition TVs with HDMI and capable of 1080p or 720p at 60/50Hz,2 including popular models from these manufacturers: Hitachi, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, NEC, Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, Toshiba, Vizio, Westinghouse

     

    In which case probably not.  Come on Apple why make it so difficult for people to use your stuff?

     

    AppleTV 1 did, and had component and analogue audio out, iTunesLP support, storage, itunes Extras support, multiple video modes, it could Airplay audio to Airport Express or other AppleTV 1s, you could browse and buy music as well as TV and movies.

     

    AppleTV1 was however underpowered processor wise, power hungry (x6-7 AppleTV2/3), large, hot and beautiful.

     

    AC

  • 4. Re: Does ATV3 support 1080i?
    Winston Churchill Level 10 Level 10 (81,980 points)

    The current Apple TV doesn't support non progressive formats, I can't imagine the newer one would, especially when it specifically says 720p or 1080p.

  • 5. Re: Does ATV3 support 1080i?
    b j t Level 4 Level 4 (3,670 points)

    According to http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv tech specs:

     

    TV Compatibility

    • Compatible with high-definition TVs with HDMI and capable of 1080p or 720p at 60/50Hz,2including popular models from these manufacturers: Hitachi, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, NEC, Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Toshiba, Vizio, Westinghouse

     

    Sorry for the LATE answer, BUT I was searching for the CORRECT answer.

     

    Message was edited by: b j t

  • 6. Re: Does ATV3 support 1080i?
    Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6 (17,035 points)

    Winston Churchill wrote:

     

    The current Apple TV doesn't support non progressive formats, I can't imagine the newer one would, especially when it specifically says 720p or 1080p.

    Yes, in retrospect I agree.

     

    However, if they wanted to, they could have included it - that's Apple for you.

  • 7. Re: Does ATV3 support 1080i?
    Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6 (17,035 points)

    b j t wrote:

     

    According to http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv tech specs:

     

    TV Compatibility

    • Compatible with high-definition TVs with HDMI and capable of 1080p or 720p at 60/50Hz,2including popular models from these manufacturers: Hitachi, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, NEC, Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Toshiba, Vizio, Westinghouse

     

    Sorry for the LATE answer, BUT I was searching for the CORRECT answer.

     

    Message was edited by: b j t

    Well done. I just copy and pasted the text.

  • 8. Re: Does ATV3 support 1080i?
    ggreen Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    Just setup my up on a 1080i TV, and it's official - it does not work beyond 720p. Does not even show the option for 1080 in any flavor in the menu. Bummer!

  • 9. Re: Does ATV3 support 1080i?
    ShoesII Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I would love some help from users that have a 1080p TV.  Do you see an option for 1080i?

     

    What about 480p/i?  I bet we all (?) have that option, right!

     

    So if people that have 1080p see an 1080i option, why can't we 1080i only users see 1080i?

     

    Are our TVs too old?

     

    Why can I get my Xbox 360/cable boxes to display 1080i but not Apple TV (3rd gen/1080p)?

     

    Thanks

    Shoes

  • 10. Re: Does ATV3 support 1080i?
    jon8979 Level 2 Level 2 (175 points)

    ShoesII wrote:

     

    Why can I get my Xbox 360/cable boxes to display 1080i but not Apple TV (3rd gen/1080p)?

     

    Because the Xbox 360 and cable boxes support 1080i, and the Apple TV does not? Perhaps it really is that simple. Even if the hardware is capable of it (and I'm not saying it is), it's possible for Apple not to implement it.

  • 11. Re: Does ATV3 support 1080i?
    ShoesII Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Okay, so let's wait for some help from users that have a 1080p TV.  Do you see an option for 1080i?

     

    Can you use it?

    Does it work?

  • 12. Re: Does ATV3 support 1080i?
    crh24 Level 3 Level 3 (920 points)

    ShoesII wrote:

     

    Okay, so let's wait for some help from users that have a 1080p TV.  Do you see an option for 1080i?

     

    Can you use it?

    Does it work?

    The answer to your first question is 'No' making the last two irrelevant.

  • 13. Re: Does ATV3 support 1080i?
    Waymen Level 5 Level 5 (5,635 points)

    Does the new Apple TV support 480p? If not, they've taken another step backward in the feature set -- or maybe a lateral slide, since they now offer 1080p.

  • 14. Re: Does ATV3 support 1080i?
    Phil Marinucci1 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    I need 1080i or 480p support as well.  Does anyone know if ATV Flash will allow ATV3 to support 1080i?  Or is there a cheap hardware converter out there that will do the job?

1 2 Previous Next