Skip navigation

Audio glitches after long standby

664 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2012 8:38 AM by busterkubrick RSS
busterkubrick Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 2, 2012 7:48 AM

Hi,

 

I got a mac mini server, i7quad core, all my audio files on the 2nd hard drive.  Mainstage 2.1.3.  In the enegy saver preference pane, I put hard drive and screen to never sleep, also uncheck the hard disk activity so it stays on all the time.

 

I use a Fireface UC soundcard, run at 48k, latency at 128 samples.  I use Kontakt 5 and Omnisphere as my main Audio Units.

 

If I don't touch Mainstage for 10-15 minutes, the audio glitches, and the only way to fix this is to restart mainstage.  Else it plays fine even when I change patch.

 

I see that it seems to be a common issue here, is there any way to tweak this?

 

Any info would be appreciated. 

 

Also, how do I download the 2.2 update?  I can't seem to find it on the apple website.

 

Thanks

MainStage, Mac OS X (10.7.3)
  • dingdangdawg Level 2 Level 2 (455 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 1:30 PM (in response to busterkubrick)

    You have to pay for 2.2, on the App Store. Lots of gripes about that, but at least its only $30.

     

    That MAY fix your problem. Sometimes these sorts of problems are specific to an audio I/O and its drivers. In my case, I had been having similar problems with a MOTU Ultralite, but they seemed to have vanished with the most recent version of MainStage and Lion.

     

    You could try running your soundcard at 44.1 and see if anything changes.

  • Madddcow Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 25, 2012 5:26 AM (in response to busterkubrick)

    This sounds very similar to an issue I had ages ago when I first started using Mainstage.  I posted about my problem on this board and someone suggested that I try a high-quality firewire cable to use with my MOTU Ultralite MK3 (firewire only).  I had serious doubts that a better cable could possibly be the answer to my situation but - for reasons I can't begin to fathom - it seems to have worked as I haven't experienced the same problem since using a significantly higher-quality (and much more expensive) cable.

     

    I see that the Fireface UC uses USB connectivity so try a high-quality USB cable and see if it makes any difference.....I know it sounds crazy but a good cable fixed the problem for  me.  I use a bunch of different softsynths to play live and am running at 64 samples with safety buffer on MS 2.1.3.

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.