13 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2012 7:54 AM by Alley_Cat
dsching Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hello,

 

on the AppleTV 3 some Movies are in FullHD and in iTunes only in 720p?

 

Here are Screenshots from my iTunes:

Bildschirmfoto 2012-04-01 um 14.53.06.png

Bildschirmfoto 2012-04-01 um 14.52.41.png

 

On AppleTV 3 the Movies are in FullHD

 

Why is this?


Apple TV, iOS 5.1
  • 1. Re: Why are movies on the AppleTV 3 are in 1080p and in iTunes in only 720p
    Michael Allbritton Level 6 Level 6 (16,710 points)

    Because that's what the content owner (movie studio) will allow for download. Apple doesn't have any control over this. They can only offer what the content owners give them, and if the content owner doesn't allow purchase of 1080p in iTunes, but does allow rental of 1080p on Apple TV for streaming then that is what we get.

     

    FYI, "FullHD" is just a marketing term.

  • 2. Re: Why are movies on the AppleTV 3 are in 1080p and in iTunes in only 720p
    Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6 (17,035 points)

    Michael Allbritton wrote:

     

    Because that's what the content owner (movie studio) will allow for download. Apple doesn't have any control over this. They can only offer what the content owners give them, and if the content owner doesn't allow purchase of 1080p in iTunes, but does allow rental of 1080p on Apple TV for streaming then that is what we get.

     

    FYI, "FullHD" is just a marketing term.

    Yes crazy but all down to the short sightedness of the content providers.

     

    In UK it's even worse - there are virtually no movies to purchase in 720p let alone 1080p.

     

    There are a load of things I already have on VHS/DVD that are older that I would jump at getting in HD (many older films certainly have enough resolution) from itunes, but no only poorer quality (sub DVD) purchases at pretty high prices.

     

    AC

  • 3. Re: Why are movies on the AppleTV 3 are in 1080p and in iTunes in only 720p
    Michael Allbritton Level 6 Level 6 (16,710 points)

    Agree completely, AC. I really wish the content owners would get their collective heads out of their you-know-whats and simply get with the times. Most reasonable consumers like you and me will gladly pay for our digital entertainment content if we can get it at good quality and reasonable priices given the chance. $20 for a digital HD movie encumbered with DRM is not reasonable, in my opinion, although I have bought a small handful. They just think too short term, though, and don't or won't see the big picture that they are trying to prop up a failing busines model. Ok, enough of that...

  • 4. Re: Why are movies on the AppleTV 3 are in 1080p and in iTunes in only 720p
    Philski Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I've just bought an ATV3 and was very confused as to why the iTunes movie content on my Mac did not match up with that on the ATV3.  The TV shows I had bought through iTunes in the past showed up on the ATV3 in purchased items. But movies I had bought did not show up. I can't quite get my head around why?

    There are films on the iTunes UK store which I can see on my MAC but I can't see them on my ATV3 even when I do a search these do not show.

     

    Can any one explain why. I'm in the UK if that makes a difference. I don't really know.

     

    Phil

  • 5. Re: Why are movies on the AppleTV 3 are in 1080p and in iTunes in only 720p
    mac_pro Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

    It has to do with DRM.  At the press conference for the release of ATV-3 (and the new Ipad), it was said that movies would now be sent to icloud.

     

    Previously music and tv shows were only sent.  The reason movies were not sent to the cloud was mostly because of Apple.  The fact is Apple was pressuring movie studios to have movies sent to the icloud so they could sell more ipads (wow that is soo cool you can watch movies on your ipad with such ease...  I need to buy one).

     

    Push comes to shove, a couple years ago, Apple and a collective of movie studios reached a deal on sending movies to the cloud however Apple themselves refused the deal at the table.   There reason, the movie studios agreed to send movies to the cloud provided their films could then in turn be shared with non-apple devices.  Essentially the movie studios belief was that if you buy a movie from itunes you should also be able to watch it on your Blackberry Playbook, etc.

     

    This obviously will not assist the sales of overpriced ipads and hence apple walked away from the deal.

     

    As mentioned earlier Apple was able to reach a deal with several studios (and announced it at the iPad 3 product launch) however not all movie studios are on board and hence not all movies are available on the cloud (unlike tv shows-all tv shows are sent to the cloud and can be re-downloaded on several devices).  Also some studios agreed but did not agree to have this deal made retroactive, so content acquired in the past could be re-downlaoded.  For instance I have about 15 movies in my itunes library I acquired through the itunes store, 5 of which I can see on my apple tv.

     

    The work around to the above is definitely AirPlay.  The other work around is to strip the DRM from your movies (which you are allowed to do in some countries).

  • 6. Re: Why are movies on the AppleTV 3 are in 1080p and in iTunes in only 720p
    Michael Allbritton Level 6 Level 6 (16,710 points)

    Philski wrote:

     

    I've just bought an ATV3 and was very confused as to why the iTunes movie content on my Mac did not match up with that on the ATV3.  The TV shows I had bought through iTunes in the past showed up on the ATV3 in purchased items. But movies I had bought did not show up. I can't quite get my head around why?

    There are films on the iTunes UK store which I can see on my MAC but I can't see them on my ATV3 even when I do a search these do not show.

     

    Can any one explain why. I'm in the UK if that makes a difference. I don't really know.

     

    Phil

    The simple reason is the copyright holders, not Apple, are not allowing the content you purchased to be available to iTunes in the Cloud. Apple does not control the copyrights.

  • 7. Re: Why are movies on the AppleTV 3 are in 1080p and in iTunes in only 720p
    mac_pro Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

    This is simply not the case.  If you read my last post in this thread apple is actually equally to blame in the battle with the movie copyright holders to send movies to the cloud.  I don't think the movie studios were asking for much, in requesting that iTunes downloads be made available for sharing to other non-apple portable devices.  Although apple thought otherwise and negotiations became difficult.  This is also part of the reason you cannot rent tv shows anymore.

     

    It is true that apple doesn't control the copyrights, but they do control how their proprietary media can be distributed and this is causing a major problem in freeing up copyright negotiations.  Essentially apple says give us drm movies so customers can enjoy movies on several devices....  the movie industry says ok but only if you allow customers to enjoy our movies on ANY devices (even when acquired through your source)....  Apple says but then our iTunes customers will not have to buy our hardware to enjoy their movies...  We don't like this idea...  Lets continue this negotiation after you receive more bad press and complaints from customers about copyright stubbornness (maybe then you'll drop this totally reasonable yet damaging condition).

  • 8. Re: Why are movies on the AppleTV 3 are in 1080p and in iTunes in only 720p
    Michael Allbritton Level 6 Level 6 (16,710 points)

    Would you care to provide any links to any of this information?

     

    mac_pro wrote:

     

    Essentially apple says give us drm movies so customers can enjoy movies on several devices....  the movie industry says ok but only if you allow customers to enjoy our movies on ANY devices (even when acquired through your source)....  Apple says but then our iTunes customers will not have to buy our hardware to enjoy their movies...  We don't like this idea...  Lets continue this negotiation after you receive more bad press and complaints from customers about copyright stubbornness (maybe then you'll drop this totally reasonable yet damaging condition).

    Again, would you care to provide any corroboration at all to back this up? This has not been the publically-stated stance of Apple on DRM. Why do you suppose there is no longer any DRM on music sold on the iTunes Store? You might find this interesting <http://daringfireball.net/2007/02/reading_between_the_lines>.

  • 9. Re: Why are movies on the AppleTV 3 are in 1080p and in iTunes in only 720p
    mac_pro Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

    Where you are wrong is that drm in movies and drm in general isn't all about copyright.  I cannot reveal my main source of this info as it is a violation of a contractual obligation however a little bit of digging can lead to people carefully revealing this fact on the www. 

     

    https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/01/apple-shows-us-drms-true-colors

     

    Quote-unquote "uses of DRM have little to nothing to do with the risk of "piracy" and plenty to do control and limiting how customers can use their products".

     

    I did not learn anything new from your link.  But I bet you were very surprised I did come up with a source for my info.  PS I used to be a network engineer for a very large lawfirm (of whom represents some very large clients).

  • 10. Re: Why are movies on the AppleTV 3 are in 1080p and in iTunes in only 720p
    mac_pro Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

    I should make it clear that the info i have laid out here is not insider info as there are several sources that confirm my statements (although without question I knew about this issue many years ago and these stories have slowly leaked onto the web over the course of the last 5-10 years).

     

    http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20071204/140443.shtml

     

    Also have you ever noticed that when you buy a DVD combo pack that contains a digital version of the movie the digital version is drm protected even though you are legally allowed to use the original disc to make your own drm free digital copy...  Who do you think was one of the pioneets for this idea 5 years ago.  Don't you think this is a little absurd.

  • 11. Re: Why are movies on the AppleTV 3 are in 1080p and in iTunes in only 720p
    Michael Allbritton Level 6 Level 6 (16,710 points)

    mac_pro wrote:

     

    Where you are wrong is that drm in movies and drm in general isn't all about copyright. 

    I never said it was. I said the copyrights holders are the ones demanding the DRM.

     

    mac_pro wrote:

     

    https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/01/apple-shows-us-drms-true-colors

     

    Quote-unquote "uses of DRM have little to nothing to do with the risk of "piracy" and plenty to do control and limiting how customers can use their products".

    You will get no argument from about over this quote. I dislike DRM and think it should go away, however I do disagree with EFF's assumptions in that article.

     

    The fact that Apple was able to convince the record lables (who very, very publically still blame "piracy" for thier falling profits) to finally drop their DRM demands from the music sold on the iTunes Store says more to me about Apple's historical stance on DRM than anything you have to say since you hide behind a "contractual obligation." I'm not saying you are making anything up, but unless you can provide any corroborating evidence for what you say I'm going to have to call shennanigans and go with what I have heard from the mouths of the movie studios about their desire to completely control what we can do with their "products" and how they want us to pay for it over and over. Never have I heard any movie studio executive state publically they want their products digitally avaiable, DRM-free and playable on any mobile device. No, they all want them locked down with DRM.

     

    So I believe my statement that it is the rights holders, i.e. the movie studios, that are preventing all movies in the iTunes Store from being avaialble in iTunes in the Cloud is still valid.

     

    We're probably going to have to just agree to disagree on this.

  • 12. Re: Why are movies on the AppleTV 3 are in 1080p and in iTunes in only 720p
    mac_pro Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)

    My stance is pretty clear in that there is an equal partnership in preventing the release of drm from movies and by no stretch of the imagination can either party wipe their hands of this.  What I am saying is that if it was only the greedy movie industry protecting drm then drm would have experienced the same demise it did with music.  Apple has equally as many interests to protect as the movie industry does and hence does not want to see drm free movies. Let's not forget they fought the ability to jailb their devices to the highest level of court.... Profit motivation???

     

    Remember I said a large group from the movie industry agreed to let go of drm but only on the condition that apple do the same...  This is where negotiations broke down.

     

    Another interesting article... 

    http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/01/a-look-at-apples-love-for-drm-and-cons umer-lock-ins.ars

     

    Surely all of these can't be biased.   And surely I cannot be making this up provided there are hundreds of sources. It would be easier to just let you in on the whole story, but that really doesn't interest me given the potential consequence (although my info is quite dated now).

  • 13. Re: Why are movies on the AppleTV 3 are in 1080p and in iTunes in only 720p
    Alley_Cat Level 6 Level 6 (17,035 points)

    Philski wrote:

     

    Can any one explain why. I'm in the UK if that makes a difference. I don't really know.

     

    Phil

    Because, like me, you're in the UK and Apple hasn't reached agreement with the content providers for movies in the cloud in UK as yet.

     

    AFAIK it's USA only currently.

     

    AC