Currently Being ModeratedApr 6, 2012 12:32 PM (in response to david_mbp)
There are several possible causes for the Black Screen issue
1. Permissions in the Library: Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Include the option to check and repair permissions.
2. Minor Database corruption: Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild.
3. A Damaged Photo: Select one of the affected photos in the iPhoto Window and right click on it. From the resulting menu select 'Show File (or 'Show Original File' if that's available). (On iPhoto 11 this option is under the File -> Reveal in Finder.) Will the file open in Preview? If not then the file is damaged. Time to restore from your back up.
4. A corrupted iPhoto Cache: Trash the com.apple.iPhoto folder from HD/Users/Your Name/Library/ Caches...
5. A corrupted preference file: Trash the com.apple.iPhoto.plist file from the HD/Users/ Your Name / library / preferences folder. (Remember you'll need to reset your User options afterwards. These include minor settings like the window colour and so on. Note: If you've moved your library you'll need to point iPhoto at it again.)
If none of these help:
As a Test:
Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting menu select 'Create Library'
Import a few pics into this new, blank library. Is the Problem repeated there?
Currently Being ModeratedApr 7, 2012 1:33 AM (in response to Terence Devlin)
thanks terence, appreciate the quick answer! already tried reparing the library, that didnt work. but i'll continue with the other hints later and see whats going on there..
Currently Being ModeratedApr 8, 2012 2:33 PM (in response to david_mbp)
Any news on this? I'm having the exact same problem - start a few weeks ago....Im importing directly from my Nikon d3000 and same thing - the length-wise images are coming in fine, the upright ones are completely black.
Currently Being ModeratedApr 8, 2012 5:24 PM (in response to Terence Devlin)
I've tried all of the above and no luck......the files open in preview, but iphoto just isn't showing them - and just the upright photos.....I'm updating the system right now, we'll see if that helps.......any other suggestions?
Currently Being ModeratedApr 9, 2012 4:29 AM (in response to Terence Devlin)
Thanks for the help Terence. Unfortunately I tried all the hints and nothing worked for me, also with the new library. Just the same deal all over again, landscape's golden but upright all black.
Currently Being ModeratedApr 9, 2012 4:36 AM (in response to david_mbp)
Create a new account (systempreferences -> accounts or Users & Groups on 10.7) and see if the problem is repeated there. If it is, then a re-install of the app might be indicated. If it's not, then it's likely the app is okay and the problem is something in the main account.
Currently Being ModeratedApr 9, 2012 6:01 AM (in response to Terence Devlin)
okay, what the.. ?! Created a new account and there the import works just fine. After logging back into mine I was close to deleting and reinstalling iPhoto but put my SD card in as a last test and now it works fine here as well?
I think this is not making aaaany sense since I already restarted before, deleted the cache, had a new library and did everything you proposed. But hey, seems to work for now. Hope you guys still find the proper solution for your macs? Otherwise just repeat what I did and pray for the god of randomness to fix your problems
Thanks again Terence, appreciate it!
Currently Being ModeratedApr 15, 2012 2:21 AM (in response to david_mbp)
Same problem here. I tried all five of Terence Devlin's initial suggestions. None worked.
I also tried creating a brand new Library. Same problem; portrait orientation photos import as either blank or half blank.
The photos display fine in Preview, Graphic Converter, etc.
I created a brand new user account and coopied one of the offending photos to the new user's Public Drop Box folder. Imported it into iPhoto. Same problem. Totally black.
I have to conclude that this is not a problem with:
- Permissions on the Library
- Minor Database Corruption
- A Damaged Photo
- A Corrupted iPhoto Cache
- A Corrupted Preferences File
- A Corrupted Library
- Problems With One User's Account
In other words, it has to be an iPhoto problem. The photos which do not properly import into iPhoto display fine in Preview, Quick Look, Graphic Converter, GIMP, etc. iPhoto fails even with a cleared cache, new preferences, new Library, etc.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated.