1 163 164 165 166 167 Previous Next 2,725 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2013 6:55 AM by Nickofari Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • 2,460. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    Rayced Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    alto2 wrote:

     

    bew1234,

     

    My question for you is: did it STAY at that battery value? When I reset my SMC, it came up with a number similar to yours when I started up, but it didn't stay that way for too long.

     

    As many other users have pointed out in this thread, battery estimate will increase after an SMC reset, but unfortunately that will not lead to any improvement on real battery life.

    The issue isn't yet solved.

    There are just a bunch of workarounds (ie wise gpa's suggestions as "get some clothes on when it's cold outside") to get slight better battery life performances, but nothing compared to what used to be with SL.

     

    As a matter of fact about what I'm saying, there is no one here who has yet solved the bad battery drain during sleep, aside of putting their laptops in hibernate mode instead of sleep mode via some third party tool.

     

    Let's hope that 10.7.4 will solve this issue.

  • 2,461. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    tjastro Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Checked out my HP scanner soft ware and sure enough, it keep the CPU going at a high rate.  Went in to my Login Items and eleted it.  Got my battery life back!  Thank you handyman.  What a releif.  My scanner and printer still works fine.

  • 2,462. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    Barbara Passman3 Level 2 Level 2 (180 points)

    Another observation some may find useful

    I, too , have suffered poor battery life

    Only a couple hours on full battery charge wtih the battery testing software indicating my battery was fine, plenty of cycles left etc although it was 3.5 years old.

    BUT

    My battery was not fine. It started to swell, affected my trackpad and this evening when I went to my local Apple Store believing I needed a new trackpad the Genius came back from testing to show that my battery was swollen, rocking (hence pressuring the trackpad, causing it to misbehave)

    Unsolicited the Genius told me that the swelling was typical of batteries which have reached the end of their life,which have or are going bad. So much for the software indicators!

     

    I am going to see if I get better battery life now that I have a brand new battery.

    So, while i belive Lion has caused issues  for many- I am NOT "poopooing that idea- I also have to ask if perhaps more persons have poorly functioning batteries but are unaware?

  • 2,463. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    tjastro Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Nope.  My battery only has 170 cyles.  Prior to upgrading from SL to Lion it was fine, actually excellent.  After upgrading to Lion it just went down the drain!  I have done all the tweaking I have learnt from so many of you on this discussion.  THANKS to you all!

    Now, with the latest tweak with the HP software I am back to almost 7 hours.  Another strange thing, I checked the CPU activity and yesterday and found that Outlook was using 88% of the CPU capacity.  I closed Outlook and retarted it and it was donw to 6%.  Go figure!

    But I am happy with my almost 7 hours now.  But definitely, Lion is casuing some strange stuff to happen, there is no quesiton about that.  Too many folks with identical or similar issues after updating from SL to Lion.  That is a clear indication of someting not being right.

  • 2,464. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    bew1234 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Good point.

     

    Have just pulled the magsafe out and it states 4:10. That's not great on a battery with 115 cycles but better than the 2:30 of two days ago. Brightness 100%, Firefox running and MDMT disabled. And, oddly, the number is going up - now 4:21. Now, 4:31. I don't understand but I do believe that Lion, for whatever reason, has deceased battery life. Acceptable? Probably. Clever engineering? Probably not. Good marketing? Definitely not. Apple should have pointed out that Lion would decease battery life as many folk rely on that 6-8 hour functionality. Now, 4:37.

     

    It's a long list of Apple users that, to be fair, may have to settle for the status quo. Don't get me started on the magsafe bricks. I`m on my third.

  • 2,465. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    Rayced Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    Barbara Passman3 wrote:

     

    Another observation some may find useful

    I, too , have suffered poor battery life

    Only a couple hours on full battery charge wtih the battery testing software indicating my battery was fine, plenty of cycles left etc although it was 3.5 years old.

    BUT

    My battery was not fine. It started to swell, affected my trackpad and this evening when I went to my local Apple Store believing I needed a new trackpad the Genius came back from testing to show that my battery was swollen, rocking (hence pressuring the trackpad, causing it to misbehave)

    Unsolicited the Genius told me that the swelling was typical of batteries which have reached the end of their life,which have or are going bad. So much for the software indicators!

     

    I am going to see if I get better battery life now that I have a brand new battery.

    So, while i belive Lion has caused issues  for many- I am NOT "poopooing that idea- I also have to ask if perhaps more persons have poorly functioning batteries but are unaware?

     

    Well my model is an early 2011 and problem with battery drain has started since I've installed Lion.

    Many users with newer laptops than mine —which ship with Lion pre-installed— have the battery drain issue.

     

    I think tjastro has explained it better than I did.

     

    Good luck with your new battery.

  • 2,466. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    alto2 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Rayced wrote:

     

    Well my model is an early 2011 and problem with battery drain has started since I've installed Lion.

    Many users with newer laptops than mine —which ship with Lion pre-installed— have the battery drain issue.

     

    I think tjastro has explained it better than I did.

     

    Good luck with your new battery.

    Yes. Barbara's issue certainly may apply to someone with an older MBP, but mine was brand new in November, came with Lion, and has never had the proper battery life--I completely wiped everything and started over after less than a week, thinking that something in my migration caused the problem. Made little, if any, difference. There's definitely an issue with Lion, even fresh out of the box.

  • 2,467. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    Barbara Passman3 Level 2 Level 2 (180 points)

    I am not doubting something fishy about Lion and I have not yet tested the charge holding of the new battery.

    All I want to point out is that my battery, too, showed low cycle count and tests indicated battery life was still good.

    But yesterday I learned that my battery was not good,  It was swollen = defective=was rocking and pressuring other things inside the MBP, such  the track pad pressure screw.

    Many of us questioned wny our a apparently still fresh batteries with low cyle counts  showed  have such poor charge-holding performance.(i.e. Tjastro reporting today that his battery shows only 115 cycles)  

    Maybe the cyle count is immaterial or is irrelevant to identifying the  problem?Maybe a battery can be "bad" in some ways but still register ok on the kind of tests wer ran on them?

     

    Lion is doing something .

    Maybe it is indirectly damaging batteries (?heat? or ?) so that despite good measurements via software battery tests, the batteries are NOT working well and hence the poor performance.

     

    I , like all of you,had downloaed software to "test" my battery recently and the tests checked out well.Yet my battery was not healthy.

  • 2,468. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    Courcoul Level 6 Level 6 (11,470 points)

    Being on my first unibody, since my Early'08 MBP fried its board last Dec., was taken aback on learning the new "lifetime" of 1000 cycles w/85% capacity. Especially since the old removables had a lifetime of around 300 cycles/3-4 years and no earthshaking battery technology announcement has appeared in the trade journals to justify a 300% increase. Since my current, Late'11, practically comes hardwired for the Fat Cat, didn't even try how it would fare with the previous feline.

     

    However, being that it is a full 64-bit OS, I can envision at least one or two paths to greater energy consumption. With the stock 4GB default RAM config., I've watched free RAM go down to zero and paging to spike with relatively modest use, as seen in Activity Monitor. Hence, full power consumption from both RAM banks and increased disk I/O  in the paging areas. With an 8GB RAM upgrade, disk I/O should subside, but I don't know the power specs for the bigger sticks.

     

    Another thing that I've watched thanks to the gfxCardStatus utility suggested here is frequent and gratuitious GPU switching from the most mundane of apps that certainly don't require the oomph of the Radeon. And that does cause a hit on the battery, cause it is one hungry chip. Battery Health is one of those switcheroo apps.

  • 2,469. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    Rayced Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    Barbara Passman3 wrote:

     

    I am not doubting something fishy about Lion and I have not yet tested the charge holding of the new battery.

    All I want to point out is that my battery, too, showed low cycle count and tests indicated battery life was still good.

    But yesterday I learned that my battery was not good,  It was swollen = defective=was rocking and pressuring other things inside the MBP, such  the track pad pressure screw.

    Many of us questioned wny our a apparently still fresh batteries with low cyle counts  showed  have such poor charge-holding performance.(i.e. Tjastro reporting today that his battery shows only 115 cycles)  

    Maybe the cyle count is immaterial or is irrelevant to identifying the  problem?Maybe a battery can be "bad" in some ways but still register ok on the kind of tests wer ran on them?

     

    Lion is doing something .

    Maybe it is indirectly damaging batteries (?heat? or ?) so that despite good measurements via software battery tests, the batteries are NOT working well and hence the poor performance.

     

    I , like all of you,had downloaed software to "test" my battery recently and the tests checked out well.Yet my battery was not healthy.

     

    Mh-mhhh… And your actual average battery life is?

  • 2,470. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    wayne111 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    I can report what appears to be a similar battery issue with a brand new Macbook Pro 15" (obviously shipped with Lion). A couple hours of light surfing with the screen brightness up fairly high has killed about 70% of the battery. The battery appears to continue draining quite rapidly even after the screen brightness was reduced to less than half. This is shockingly bad performance, which led me to this thread.

     

    Unfortunately, I think I owe Apple a call and will likely be sending this machine back. I'd like to run a Macbook Pro, but I can't tolerate such poor battery life and can't spend much more time setting up additional machines.

  • 2,471. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    wayne111 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    OK, maybe I don't share this battery problem.  Things appear more normal now that I've taken care of an unholy interaction between Spotlight and a virus scanning program.  I hope the others here find some satisfaction soon.

  • 2,472. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    Rayced Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    Hi Dwayne,

    can you provide us more details about "taking care of unholy interaction between Spotlight and a virus scanning program"?

     

    Have you just uninstalled the virus scanning program? Which virus scanning program are you talking about? How come Spotlight was interacting with it?

    Thanks.

     

    wayne111 wrote:

     

    OK, maybe I don't share this battery problem.  Things appear more normal now that I've taken care of an unholy interaction between Spotlight and a virus scanning program.  I hope the others here find some satisfaction soon.

  • 2,473. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    Courcoul Level 6 Level 6 (11,470 points)

    wayne111 wrote:

     

    an unholy interaction between Spotlight and a virus scanning program.  I hope the others here find some satisfaction soon.

    Getting real hard to shut out Granny's voice ringing in the brain, "I told you so, you had it coming...".

     

    But unfortunately all the Windoze emigres have this unholy addiction to virus scanning programs.

     

    Perusing and participating in this unholy long thread, it seems to me that we are progressively losing more and more control over what we allow to run in our computers and that is the root cause of this ongoing battery performance thread. Be it unneeded code, excessive code or miscoded code, but is evident that it is not the computer's fault. It is being pushed to do lots of stuff, much unbeknown to us, and just presenting us with the tab.

     

    Thus satisfaction remains as wishful thinking.

  • 2,474. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    Rayced Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    Courcoul wrote:

     

    Getting real hard to shut out Granny's voice ringing in the brain, "I told you so, you had it coming...".

     

    But unfortunately all the Windoze emigres have this unholy addiction to virus scanning programs.

     

     

    So you know him/her personally to know he's migrated from Win? And you guys have rejoined here on this discussion board? Isn't that incredible or what?