1 164 165 166 167 168 Previous Next 2,725 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2013 6:55 AM by Nickofari Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • 2,475. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    Courcoul Level 6 Level 6 (11,470 points)

    I know for sure that those of us who have been using Macs since 1984 have never installed or needed an antivirus scanning program...

  • 2,476. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    Csound1 Level 8 Level 8 (35,285 points)

    Rayced wrote:

     

    Courcoul wrote:

     

    Getting real hard to shut out Granny's voice ringing in the brain, "I told you so, you had it coming...".

     

    But unfortunately all the Windoze emigres have this unholy addiction to virus scanning programs.

     

     

    So you know him/her personally to know he's migrated from Win? And you guys have rejoined here on this discussion board? Isn't that incredible or what?

    Yes, we are prescient here (especially when it comes to Ex Windows users)

  • 2,477. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    Rayced Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    Courcoul wrote:

     

    I know for sure that those of us who have been using Macs since 1984 have never installed or needed an antivirus scanning program...

     

    Well many other mac users have started to install anti-malware/virus software since latest crap happened with Flashback and others.

     

    BTW I'm still curious to understand what Dwayne has done in details…

  • 2,478. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    Rayced Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    Csound1 wrote:

     

    Yes, we are prescient here (especially when it comes to Ex Windows users)

     

    I always knew you were a precock.

  • 2,479. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    Csound1 Level 8 Level 8 (35,285 points)

    Rayced wrote:

     

    Csound1 wrote:

     

    Yes, we are prescient here (especially when it comes to Ex Windows users)

     

    I always knew you were a precock.

    No such word, but that is no surprise, back to your flying sheep futzak.

  • 2,480. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    wayne111 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    No, not really a recent Windows emigre. Been using variants of OS X for about a decade, almost exclusively. While I haven't *needed* a virus scanner per se (except to catch some Windows viruses in emails), some work environments are more security minded than others. I originally switched for malware immunity and have converted quite a few others. So you all are not so prescient in this case.

     

    As for the earlier question, the virus software is Sophos and I just had to disable the on-access scanning. I hadn't been carefully paying attention, but on-access scanning made spotlight indexing take something on the order of 30 hours. I disabled on-access scanning and rebooted. Spotlight then finished indexing in about 5 hours.  I still might have trouble hitting 7 hours of battery doing wireless browsing and other light tasks.  I haven't had the chance to test directly, but with screen at half brightness I could probably get about 5 hours under such light use.

  • 2,481. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    Rayced Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    Csound1 wrote:

     

    Rayced wrote:

     

    Csound1 wrote:

     

    Yes, we are prescient here (especially when it comes to Ex Windows users)

     

    I always knew you were a precock.

    No such word, but that is no surprise, back to your flying sheep futzak.

    Isn't that the name for those weird bald people in the movie "Minority Report", who able to see crimes before they were committed?

  • 2,482. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    Rayced Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    wayne111 wrote:

     

     

    As for the earlier question, the virus software is Sophos and I just had to disable the on-access scanning. I hadn't been carefully paying attention, but on-access scanning made spotlight indexing take something on the order of 30 hours. I disabled on-access scanning and rebooted. Spotlight then finished indexing in about 5 hours.  I still might have trouble hitting 7 hours of battery doing wireless browsing and other light tasks.  I haven't had the chance to test directly, but with screen at half brightness I could probably get about 5 hours under such light use.

     

    Here we are, back to "flying cows" (that's for the troll CSound1)

     

    Those are average and good results for a system which also runs a something else than a "vanilla" OS X fresh install.

    Have you reported this problem to Sophos developers? Probably they should get fixed this issue.

    BTW I'm too experiencing some problems with Spotlight in Lion: sometime I cannot eject esternal disks cause they're still used by mds process. This never happened to me in Snow Leopard.

     

    EDIT: I forgot to say thank you for explaining further the issue you had experienced.

  • 2,483. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    Courcoul Level 6 Level 6 (11,470 points)

    Precog's the name. "precock" sounds like something right out of an adult movie. For very adult adults.

     

    As for Spotlight, beware beware. When it is hellbent on mapping out the entire volume, disk I/O goes thru the roof and the battery down the drain. In former days, it was useful to purge the index every now and then and force a rebuild, since it tended to get konfuzzed after awhile, which in turn triggered yet more useless searches. Haven't cohabited with Lion long enough to know if it has been cured of those ills.

  • 2,484. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    alto2 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    wayne111 wrote:

     

    As for the earlier question, the virus software is Sophos and I just had to disable the on-access scanning. I hadn't been carefully paying attention, but on-access scanning made spotlight indexing take something on the order of 30 hours. I disabled on-access scanning and rebooted. Spotlight then finished indexing in about 5 hours.  I still might have trouble hitting 7 hours of battery doing wireless browsing and other light tasks.  I haven't had the chance to test directly, but with screen at half brightness I could probably get about 5 hours under such light use.

     

    Thanks for the info, Wayne. I run Sophos, too, so I'll check out my settings and see if there's an improvement (which would be **** nice at this stage!).

     

    And for whoever may care, I'm not new to Mac, either, but these days, it's not nearly as safe to go without AV as it used to be, especially after the Flashback nonsense.

  • 2,485. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    Rayced Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    alto2 wrote:

     

    And for whoever may care, I'm not new to Mac, either, but these days, it's not nearly as safe to go without AV as it used to be, especially after the Flashback nonsense.

     

     

    Well it seems that some Mac users from 1984 are still stuck at 1984… Nowadays I'd give more credit to someone who's using *NIX system since 1984 than who still have "Classic" in his head…

  • 2,486. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    Rayced Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    Courcoul wrote:

     

    Precog's the name. "precock" sounds like something right out of an adult movie. For very adult adults.

     

    As for Spotlight, beware beware. When it is hellbent on mapping out the entire volume, disk I/O goes thru the roof and the battery down the drain. In former days, it was useful to purge the index every now and then and force a rebuild, since it tended to get konfuzzed after awhile, which in turn triggered yet more useless searches. Haven't cohabited with Lion long enough to know if it has been cured of those ills.

     

    Ok I've done a spelling mistake. Shoot me.

     

    In former days I never had the necessity to purge spotlight index since it was introduced with Tiger.

    It had never gave me any problem.

     

    With Lion it's always happening after reparing permissions from the Recovery Partition using the resetpassword tool.

  • 2,487. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    adamfromkilgetty Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Time for me to unsubscribe from what is probably the worlds most useless and off-tracked forum thread, why oh why did i sign up for email alerts just to hear a vast minority trolling.

  • 2,488. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (4,205 points)

    Yes happens every time that rayced gets day leave. His only supporters have even deserted him here. This thread is of little value to most people anymore. Thanks rayced.

     

    Pete

  • 2,489. Re: Lion - Horrible MacBook Pro Battery Life
    Rayced Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    petermac87 wrote:

     

    Yes happens every time that rayced gets day leave. His only supporters have even deserted him here. This thread is of little value to most people anymore. Thanks rayced.

     

    Pete

     

    And your solution for the battery drain issue is?

     

    No points today? Mhhh how sad for you…