Skip navigation

HT4069: Using OS X Server's Software Update service with multiple Mac OS X client versions

Learn about Using OS X Server's Software Update service with multiple Mac OS X client versions

HT4069 Client settings work, but cant get updates

615 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2012 4:49 AM by MrHoffman RSS
rprout520 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Apr 18, 2012 3:45 AM

This appeared to change the client settings. However, the client couldnt find the server.  I had turned on the update server.  I could access the web site on the server.  I turned both client and server firewalls off temporarily. still nothing!

Mac mini (Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)
  • MrHoffman Level 6 Level 6 (11,695 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 4:48 AM (in response to rprout520)

    Not much detail to go on; it's clear that the attempt to use Software Update Server hasn't worked for you, but few details on the current configuration.

     

    Same OS X 10.7.3 and OS X Server 10.7.3 versions on both boxes?

     

    Are any other existing client hosts using this Software Update Server, or is this a new installation?

     

    For troubleshooting, some of the usual details to check are DNS services (which might already work, depending on how you've configured the software update defaults setting and how you've tested the http connection to the web server, but improper DNS services configurations have caused all manner of weirdness).

     

    Check the Software Update Server logs to see if the connection has been made, and then the general logs (via Console.app) on both ends of the connection. 

     

    You've probably already checked this, but also determine if there are updates cached and active on the Software Update Server.

     

    Are there any web proxies or nanny filters or other gateway-based or DNS-based filtering tools in use within the network?

     

    Verify the defaults setting in the client, as well.  From experience, mistyping host names is easy enough.

  • MrHoffman Level 6 Level 6 (11,695 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 12:50 PM (in response to rprout520)

    That could be a transient network glitch, but I'm not seeing any catalog-related errors on the server I've checked.  Can you get to the Apple servers?

     

    Do you see any server accesses from the clients, or anything in the software update error log?  (Software update maintains three logs; a service log, an access log, and an error log.)

     

    You can see which updates you have over in the Software Update list of updates; on the server I just checked, there are currently 320 updates copied and cached.

     

    On the server, launch Terminal.app (Applications > Utilities > Terminal.app) and issue the (non-destructive, non-disruptive, diagnostic) command

     

    sudo changeip -checkhostname

     

    and see if it reports any DNS-level errors, or if no DNS changes are required.

     

    And FWIW, if you're going to be dealing with a mix of clients of unknown patch levels (and if you have the disk space to support it), you might want the "all updates" setting enabled.

  • Peter Borbonus Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 18, 2012 11:14 PM (in response to rprout520)

    I think your problem is the link!

     

    To connect to my SUS, my clients need the following link:

    http://servername:8088/index-leopard-snowleopard.merged-1.sucatalog

     

    The clients are running SnowLeopard (10.6)!

    Maybe your link has to be something like:

    http://servername:8088/index-lion.merged-1.sucatalog

    (servername is the DNS-Name of your server!)

     

    Good luck!

     

    Peter.

  • Peter Borbonus Level 1 Level 1 (95 points)

    Try this at your clients:

    http://"my server and domain name":8088/index-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

     

    Peter

  • MrHoffman Level 6 Level 6 (11,695 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 4:49 AM (in response to rprout520)

    And based on the .local mDNS name you've shown, your server either isn't providing local DNS services, or your client isn't using them, or your server is misconfigured to use a .local for its DNS.

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.