Currently Being ModeratedApr 25, 2012 12:15 PM (in response to dannor90)
;( Did you do a backup before you did the reset?
If you had some of those contact "On Your Mac", sometimes, depending on how updated your server is, the synching with iCloud doesn't work quite right. Yahoo is already sychable with iclouds. That's probably why those worked ok. Make sure you have all your contacts in icloud before you synch again. The best way to me is going into your iCloud account and importing all contacts there. Once they are there, they'll be everywhere else.
Hope this helps.
Currently Being ModeratedApr 25, 2012 12:16 PM (in response to dannor90)
Yes I could do that if I still had my contacts, but 35 are now missing
Currently Being ModeratedApr 25, 2012 12:23 PM (in response to dannor90)
Ugh! So sorry to hear that!
What device were these contacts on? iphone, comp, ipad?
Currently Being ModeratedApr 25, 2012 12:36 PM (in response to dannor90)
How did you get these contacts into your iPad? Manually? One by one?
Currently Being ModeratedApr 25, 2012 12:57 PM (in response to Flaqs)
Most were manual or save to contacts after receivig an email
Currently Being ModeratedApr 25, 2012 1:07 PM (in response to dannor90)
Ok, these questions may seem a bit silly but I need to make sure I know you're scenario...
1. Are you sure you're looking undel "All contacts" in your address book? Make sure you're not under some kind of group that's showing you ONLY your yahoo contacts. I've had people calling me having a fit about having lost ALL THEIR contacts and they simply looking under a group that was empty. I know this sounds crazy but it may happen.
2. Do you have any other apple device in which you had these contacts saved (any computer, iphone)?
3. Do you have access to those emails you received that had these contacts?
4. Did you do any other back up before this last one?
5. If you login to you icloud account online, through Safari, can you check there if you have also lost all those contacts?
Currently Being ModeratedApr 27, 2012 5:51 AM (in response to Flaqs)
1. yes, all
2..no other devices
3.yes still have the emails (i cant still get the dropdown contacts no longer in my contacts list)
4. No Other backup other than syncing to itunes (no Mac), blindly put my trust in the cloud
5. When I look at the cloud online (from my windows pc at least) , the only contact that shows is my name
Currently Being ModeratedApr 27, 2012 7:35 AM (in response to dannor90)
The fact that you only have your name in your actual iCloud account means your contacts didn't sync at all to the cloud.
Make sure to your iCloud Settings look like this...
(where it says "Account" your apple registered email will show). The "Contacts" line has to be "ON" for your contacts to sync with iCloud.
If your "Contacts" switch is already "ON", then it sounds to me that you just had some kind of faulty connection while syncing. Try syncing one more time. Before trying it again, make sure your Airport is working ok... go to Safari and surf some websites to assure connection is smooth. By the way, you don't need to go to your PC to check your iCloud account. You can just open Safari on your iPad and type: www.icloud.com in your address bar.
Let me know how this works.
Currently Being ModeratedApr 27, 2012 7:41 AM (in response to Flaqs)
yes the cloud is set up the same way. Since i now only have 20 contacts out of my original 55 will backing back up to the cloud (if I didnt have some sort or a syncing error) those 20 contacts only return me 20? I will try again though. thanks for trying
Currently Being ModeratedApr 27, 2012 8:02 AM (in response to dannor90)
If you only have 20, 20 will sync. Unless the other 35 are somewhere around in the hide... If that's the case the other 35 will sync too.
Lets try with those 20. If those sync, that's a start. At least we'll know your ipad is communicating with your iCloud.
Keep me posted.
Currently Being ModeratedApr 27, 2012 8:17 AM (in response to Flaqs)
Ok backed up to the cloud again and when I go to icloud.com there is still only me as a contact, no others. What i find odd is that only my yahoo contacts remained and not my ipad generated contacts. I would have figured , if any thing that it would be the opposite
Currently Being ModeratedApr 27, 2012 9:47 AM (in response to dannor90)
Yep! You're right! That's the logical thing to think. I'm pretty sure that had to do with the fact that yahoo, just like gmail, hotmail and other servers use something called "exchange"... I'm sure you've heard of it if you're a pc user. This keeps all of their info synched already, so you may be receiving that automatically in your ipad from your yahoo.com account. You don't even have to do it. It does it by itself.
For now... can you to this ON YOUR PC... (NOT IN YOUR IPAD)
1. Login to your yahoo email
2. Go to your contacts
3. Select all contacts
4. Click "Export"
5. Choose the last option that says:
vCard, Zip of .VCF files:
(One .VCF file per contact, Outlook compatible)
6. Once you have these contacts from yahoo exported (via email, or whichever way you chose do the following...
(STILL IN YOUR PC)
1. Locate the file or (files) that have all the vcards and drag them to your desktop to have them handy.
2. Open your browser (Try to use Firefox if you can) and Login to your iCloud.com account
3. Open your Contacts in your iCloud account and drag and drop all those vcards from your desktop to the left column of the address book in your contacts.
All of your yahoo contacts at least should now be in your icloud for good and will automatically sinc with your ipad.
If they get duplicated, erase them all from your ipad and let it sync again.
If you still have to add the other 35, I'd definitely do it in your iCloud account and let the iCloud sync to your ipad instead of your iPad synching to your iCloud.
p.s. So sorry you're going through this headache!