Currently Being ModeratedApr 28, 2012 6:37 AM (in response to Charlie MacPherson)
Have those images with missing EXIF been externally edited - with a plug-in or an external editor? Maybe when the new quasi master has been created, to be passed to the plug-in or editor- the EXIF was not copied to the new master?
Currently Being ModeratedApr 28, 2012 6:46 AM (in response to léonie)
Nope. That's not it. I've only just begun to play with NIK D-Fine (noise reduction) and have not tried the other NIK applications in their collection yet.
I went back and checked the one image I did NIK noise reduction on. It has all of the EXIF data intact.
I suspect that the NIK installation may not be related, but it's the only change I made around the time that the error showed up.
Thanks for your effort - I'm really baffled. And I really need that data too.
Currently Being ModeratedApr 28, 2012 7:25 AM (in response to Charlie MacPherson)
How do you inspect the EXIF - in Aperture in the Metadata tab of the Inspector panel?
It would be good to check the master image files directly, if they still carry the EXIF data. Could you navigate in the Finder to the master image files and open them in an image editor that can display EXIF? Like Preview, Photoshop CS5, or GraphicConverter? Preview will show the EXIF, IPTC, and TIFF tags, if you go to the "Tools" menu, "Show Information".
If your library is managed, you will find the master image files by ctrl-clicking the Aperture Library package, and selecting "Show Package Contents", then navigate to the "Masters" folder. This is organized by "date added".
Currently Being ModeratedApr 28, 2012 9:17 AM (in response to léonie)
Well, I dug in and found the Masters. And a BIG problem that might (or might not) be related.
At one point, I used an image in one of my blogs. It was a Roseate Spoonbill that I showed both before and after cropping. I saved one image called "Spoonbill before crop" - probably a year ago.
For some reason, every one of the 17,103 images in my library are all named "Spoonbill before crop" followed by a sequential number.
I cannot imagine how this happened.
I've done both a rebuild and a repair - multiple times. It seems that it's not going to work.
Am I now faced with manually re-naming over 17,000 images?
Currently Being ModeratedApr 28, 2012 9:36 AM (in response to Charlie MacPherson)
Try to rename your Master Image Files using "Metadata -> Batch Change".
If your version names are still o.k., you can copy the version names to the master image files by setting the "Apply to Master Files" option.
This renaming to "Spoonbill" might have happend during a batch change in the similar way, perhaps with a wrong filename preset.
OT: What does a"Roseate Spoonbill" look like? Ours all are white ...
Currently Being ModeratedApr 28, 2012 9:41 AM (in response to Charlie MacPherson)
But what are the EXIF tags you see on the masters - whatever they are named right now. Do the masters still have the camera data, if you inspect them with Preview ???
Currently Being ModeratedMay 7, 2012 11:12 AM (in response to Charlie MacPherson)
Hey guys, Did you solve the problem? I have problem like you and tried to solve it. My case I import both RAW and JPEG as Master. After that I think I can't do anything so i recover my backup. But I found that Master file still have EXIF data so I tried to "Switch to use JPEG as Master" and switch back. And it WORK.
Hope this help you
Currently Being ModeratedMay 7, 2012 11:18 AM (in response to Charlie MacPherson)
Oops It won't work but I find the way that really work. Selet the images, go to Photos menu and choose "Update from Master". And it should work now. At least for my case.
Currently Being ModeratedMay 7, 2012 12:40 PM (in response to Kirby Krieger)
So that is what a roseate spoonbill looks like? Thanks for satisfying my curiosity, Kirby. A beautiful picture with the reflection in the water. I should ask more often - then I would get to see more of our work! Our spoonbills look more like this, with wide, spoonshaped beaks.
Currently Being ModeratedMay 7, 2012 12:47 PM (in response to léonie)
"Ours" have the same long spatulate bills. I was aiming to illustrate the rosy difference and happened to have that one all set to post. You can (barely) see a better outline of the bill in the reflection -- including a notch at the end: this bird was missing the last cm or so on one side of its upper bill.
Currently Being ModeratedMay 7, 2012 1:06 PM (in response to Kirby Krieger)
You can (barely) see a better outline of the bill in the reflection -
OT: Now I see it - I should have enlarged the image in the first place - just marvellous - each single waterdrop dripping from the beak a perfectly sharp glittering crystal.
then I would get to see more of our work!
Oh no! I definitely typed "your" work. It is really annoying how often the system corrupts the posts by dropping or exchanging letters, and sometimes even complete words reappear, that should have been deleted - diligently proof-reading the post does not help at all, when the editor window in the browser does not reflect the state on the web server.
Currently Being ModeratedMay 7, 2012 1:23 PM (in response to Charlie MacPherson)
I'm the OP and did eventually solve the problem. Sort of. I made it the subject of my weekly photo blog last week. You can read the solution here:
In short, the library was corrupted, most likely due to an "unauthorixed dismount" of the drive. I do recall a message appearing that said the drive had been ejected improperly - and I had not unplugged it.
Fortunately, I had three different backups. I was able to use one of them that I had not mirrored after the file became corrupt.
This was *terrifying* for a few minutes, while I contemplated the potential disaster. I really dodged the bullet.