1 2 3 4 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply: Jul 18, 2013 9:37 AM by cyclerec
marilyndw Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Eventually these seem to show up again, but it's very annoying. I add a podcast because I want to listen to it now... I am on Windows 7 with iTunes 10.

 

I can try to add it again, but it never shows up. It's like iTunes thinks it's already added it, but it's invisible in both Music and Podcasts.


Windows 7
  • 1. Re: I add a podcast in music, change the type to Podcast, and it disappears
    the fiend Level 5 Level 5 (7,375 points)

    It's not clear what you are doing, or why you are "changing" a podcast to "a Podcast"?

     

    1. What have you downloaded? Is it audio or video?
    2. Where was it described as a "Podcast"? (A "Podcast" is a system for delivering an audio or video file. It is not the file itself and if you change anything (either the Media Type or the Genre) to Podcast, that doesn't make it a Podcast.
    3. Where did you download it from and how? Did you download an MP3 file from somewhere? If so where?
    4. How did it get into iTunes, did you drag it there?
    5. Once in iTunes, which part of the iTunes Library was it in (you did say Music, but I'm checking)?
  • 2. Re: I add a podcast in music, change the type to Podcast, and it disappears
    marilyndw Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Sorry about the lack of clarity. Here is the process I am using:

     

    1. I download a podcast into my music folder on my hard drive.
    2. I go into iTunes and use File->Add File to Library.
    3. It adds the Podcast into my music library on iTunes.
    4. Using the "Get Info" option, I change the "Media Kind" to be Podcast (it is set as Music).
    5. It then vanishes from iTunes.
    6. I can select it to add to iTunes again, but it doesn't appear there.
    7. So it is something about how iTunes is storing the information on it.

     

    Any assistance is greatly appreciated. This is very annoying. I still have the file, but I can't listen to it on my iPod.

     

    This used to happen all the time, then it stopped happening. This morning I tried to add a file I want to listen to (on my iPod), and now the file is missing in action with iTunes.

  • 3. Re: I add a podcast in music, change the type to Podcast, and it disappears
    the fiend Level 5 Level 5 (7,375 points)

    marilyndw wrote:

     

    1. I download a podcast into my music folder on my hard drive.

    iTunes downloads Podcasts. What you have downloaded is not a Podcast.

     

    marilyndw wrote:

     

    I go into iTunes and use File->Add File to Library.

    If it was delivered to you as a Podcast, you would not need to do this.

     

    marilyndw wrote:

     

    Using the "Get Info" option, I change the "Media Kind" to be Podcast (it is set as Music).

    It then vanishes from iTunes

    As I said previously, simply changing the Media Kind to Podcast does not make it a Podcast. However, since you have done that, the file, whatever it is, will move to the Podcasts section of your iTunes Library. In the Podcasts section, it should be listed by its album title. So the "Album title" in the Music section, will become the "Programme name" in Podcasts, listed under the heading Podcasts and with an arrow next to it. Click on the arrow and the list will expand to reveal the "episodes". The "episode's" name will be the song title.

     

    I'll say it again. A Podcast is something that has been delivered to your iTunes by the delivery method known as Podcasting. The file itself is not "a Podcast". So when someone says "you're listening to our Podcast", it's actually a shorthand way of saying "you're listening to the programme we made, and which has been delivered to you as a Podcast."

     

    So, to find these missing files in your iTunes, use the search facility and look in the Podcasts section of your iTunes Library for the song name. In the results that appear you will not see the song name, because what you see is the "Programme name". You need to expand each result to find your song or whatever it is.

     

    The reason you have trouble adding it a second time is just that, you've already added it. But you've then changed some of the information about the file and when you try to "add it again" it is no longer "music", but a "Podcast", and that's because you set it that way.

     

    I still don't understand why you feel the need to change the file to Podcast.

     

    If this material is described by its producer as a Podcast, the why don't you find the Podcast through the iTunes Store and subscribe and download it through iTunes "as a Podcast"? If the programme truely is not to be found in the iTunes Store (by using search the store), then presumably the producer has the Podcast URL (or Podcast Feed, or the RSS link) shown on their website. You can copy-and-paste that Podcast URL into your iTunes Podcasts section and subscribe (for free, usually) to the Podcast, in iTunes. Then every new epsisode of the Programme will automatically download to your iTunes, put itself into your iTunes Podcasts Library and if you have set your iPod to Sync Podcasts, iTunes will also add that Podcast episode to your iPod.

     

    At the moment, you appear to be making extra and uneccessary work for yourself.

     

    And if this material is not actually a Podcast, then why try to make it so? What are you trying to achieve? You can listen to it, even when it's Media Kind is Music. If you're trying to stop it from playing when playing your music on shuffle, then leave it as Media Kind/Music but set it to Skip on shuffle.

  • 4. Re: I add a podcast in music, change the type to Podcast, and it disappears
    marilyndw Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    The fiend wrote: "So, to find these missing files in your iTunes, use the search facility and look in the Podcasts section of your iTunes Library for the song name. In the results that appear you will not see the song name, because what you see is the "Programme name". You need to expand each result to find your song or whatever it is."

     

    Yes, that should work - but it doesn't! It is not there - plain and simple. That's the problem. I know how to use the search function - it finds nothing.

     

    I understand what podcasts are. To me, this is a preferred way to manage my iTunes library - to put lectures, etc, into podcasts, so that I don't have to manage them as music. My choice. But how I manage things should not cause this to happen, and it is happening.

  • 5. Re: I add a podcast in music, change the type to Podcast, and it disappears
    the fiend Level 5 Level 5 (7,375 points)

    Then you don't need my help.

  • 6. Re: I add a podcast in music, change the type to Podcast, and it disappears
    agathos666 Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

    I too have this issue and I agree, there are many things I choose to set as podcasts for the ease of organising my iPad the way I want.

    Most things work fine, including video but now and again they just vanish for no reason and don't come up with a search.

    As a temp fix you can re-name and add again just don't set them as podcast this time.

    I'd be glad if someone had a "helpful" solution.

     

    PS. itunes doesn't own the podcast world, there are alot of podcasts available as mp3 and this is a perfectly common way of adding them to iTunes.

  • 7. Re: I add a podcast in music, change the type to Podcast, and it disappears
    the fiend Level 5 Level 5 (7,375 points)

    agathos666 wrote:

     

    PS. itunes doesn't own the podcast world,

    Despit the fact that you replied to marilyndw's post, that comment is obviously directed as a response to what I've said. However, I did not say or imply that iTunes has exclusive rights to Podcasts.

     

    But the fact remains that the only way (repeat, only way) to download something as a Podcast is through a Podcatcher. iTunes is - among other things - a Podcatcher. So since iTunes can handle Podcasts, why download something via another method, manually import it to iTunes, manually change the Media Kind to Podcast and then end up losing track of the file? And to cap it all, mis-lead everyone about the nature of a Podcast.

     

    If either or both of you were to actually tell us what you are trying to achieve, (i.e. why don't you want to manage this audio as music, or what happens {that you don't like} when managing it as music?) then perhaps someone could offer a "helpful" solution.

     

    Your choice.

  • 8. Re: I add a podcast in music, change the type to Podcast, and it disappears
    turingtest2 Level 8 Level 8 (46,595 points)

    A smart playlist with the rule Album is <the value of album for your missing files>, for example, should find your missing files wherever they are hiding in your library.

     

    A well-formed podcast episode delivered to iTunes contains a number of tag fields that link it together with others from the same feed and determine the playback order. If you are determined enough then you can set this information, or suitable dummy values, before importing them, in order to achieve what you want.

     

    See https://discussions.apple.com/message/18227899#18227899 and https://discussions.apple.com/message/13222888#13222888

     

    tt2

  • 9. Re: I add a podcast in music, change the type to Podcast, and it disappears
    agathos666 Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

    It was just in fact a response to the original post and an attempt to show that this isn't just one person doing something that is so far from normal that this kind of behaviour should be expected.

     

    I think it has been stated what we are trying to achieve and to be fair its something I have been doing for years with no issue until this past month.

     

    Not all my media comes from itunes and I have to organise the info myself.

    For example if I add an audiobook mp3 it will by default appear in music so I would change the media kind to audiobook and off it shoots to the books section.

     

    This has always been the same for podcasts from other sources too.

    The reasons I may want to label something as a podcast don't really matter and is not the issue here, it's just how I choose to organise some of my media, but for an example. Radio plays that are not available on itunes or are no longer listed but would ultimatly fall under that section of my library would be added and adjusted the same way.

    Now though, upon changing media type to podcast the item vanishes from itunes completely and connot be added again unless you change the name of the source file. But again, if you change its media type to podcast its gone...and so on

     

    As I stated this has been something I have always done with no problem so I think this must be a recent bug or change in how the system works.

    I don't know, thats why I'm here.

     

    I understood what the issue was from the first post, I don't know how else to explain it.

     

    If you go to your podcast folder in the iTunes media folder what you'll find is an mp3 with the same core properties as your music files, not a special podcast file, it comes up as a podcast in iTunes because its been tagged that way. Its the ability to manually do this that seems to have stopped working correctly.

     

    Does this make it any clearer?

  • 10. Re: I add a podcast in music, change the type to Podcast, and it disappears
    turingtest2 Level 8 Level 8 (46,595 points)

    Changing a test file from Music to Podcast is working for me... I can see the file in the Podcasts section of the library categorized under the Album title

     

    tt2

  • 11. Re: I add a podcast in music, change the type to Podcast, and it disappears
    agathos666 Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

    Aye, its seems to be ok with some files but not others.

    I'm not sure what has changed, if anything.

     

    Ive just rebuilt my library, and its happening to some new files and some files that had been sat in the podcast section for years so I can't see any pattern to the problem.

    I've managed to add one set of videos and change them without issue and one audio file. The rest just won't go reguardless of file type.

    I've gone so far as to try a complete fresh file encoded by myself with no iTunes history or attached data of any kind and its just seems to vanish.

    While yesterday a file created the same way worked just fine..

     

    Its a strange one to be sure.

  • 12. Re: I add a podcast in music, change the type to Podcast, and it disappears
    the fiend Level 5 Level 5 (7,375 points)

    agathos666 wrote:

     

    Not all my media comes from itunes

     

    None of my media comes from iTunes except the Apps.

     

    I have a lot of Podcasts, they are downloaded directly to my iTunes. But they do not come from the iTunes Store (aka "iTunes"). The iTunes Store lists podcasts. If my iTunes (programme on my computer) asks for a Podcast, that request is sent to the host server where the Podcast is stored and it is downloaded directly from that host to my computer. It does not go through the iTunes Store.

     

    agathos666 wrote:

     

    For example if I add an audiobook mp3 it will by default appear in music so I would change the media kind to audiobook and off it shoots to the books section.

    Yes, I get that. But - and I will say this once again - a Podcast is a file (audio, video etc.) that has been delivered to your Podcatcher (in this case, iTunes) by the Podcast delivery method. Changing the Media Kind to Podcast does not make it a Podcast - regardless of whoever says that it does!

     

    agathos666 wrote:

     

    If you go to your podcast folder in the iTunes media folder what you'll find is an mp3 with the same core properties as your music files, not a special podcast file,

    Correct. Podcasting is a method of delivering audio, or video, or even text to your computer without you having to do any work! I could - if I wanted to make work for myself - download a programme from the BBC as a "download" into my Windows 7 Download folder. Then, I could import it to iTunes, change the Media Kind to Podcast and that would be an end to it. But - that programme (in my iTunes Library) would not have the benefits of a Podcast.

     

    Or I could subscribe to the Podcast of that very same BBC programme. Then, every time a new episode of the programme is available, my iTunes would find it, download it directly into my iTunes Podcast Library, and mark it as "Skip when shuffling" without me doing anything. And as tt2 says, it determines the playback order.

     

    Exactly the same MP3 file, but delivered in a different way and with my iTunes programme marking it with additional properties, useful for Podcasts.

     

    Perhaps the reason it no longer works the way you want is because it was never designed to - nor intended that it should - do it that way in the first place. Maybe that was the problem, which has now been corrected.

  • 13. Re: I add a podcast in music, change the type to Podcast, and it disappears
    agathos666 Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

    It is not about podcasts being downloaded each week, I don't need that to happen.

    I don't need my file to have all the properties of a downloaded though iTunes podcast, these are old radio shows or collections of video clips that are not current "live" podcasts and never will be again I just want them to sit in the podcast section of the library because it is the same type of media.

     

    You say if you wanted to you could download, import and change media type and that would be an end to it.

    No you couldn't, not if your expiriancing this issue because its exactly that process thats not working correctly anymore, or maybe as you say is now working correctly.

    The fact that one file can work and another will not would suggest there is an issue other than its just not designed to, after all if you are not supposed to be able to label an imported file as a podcast, why have the option?

  • 14. Re: I add a podcast in music, change the type to Podcast, and it disappears
    marilyndw Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Various posts here made me realize that I should just change the name and import it again. Tah-dah. It worked just fine this time.

     

    Sorry gang, no time for endless discussions on why I choose to manage my library this way. I keep lectures separate from music. And it works fine. I don't think this problem has anything to do with what a podcast is, whether I "should" be doing it one way or another! Putting lectures into podcasts is a logical thing to do, for me. It's easy and it works 99.9% of the time. Every now and then, iTunes hiccups and loses the file when I make this change. For all I know, iTunes could have the same issue making the change to any type of media. I guess we could get into a big discussion about people talking is not music, but hopefully we all have better things to do.

     

    Meanwhile, if anyone else has had the problem, try copying the file and reimporting with a tiny name change. I think there are now two copies of the same thing in there, but WGARA.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next