Currently Being ModeratedMay 10, 2012 5:45 PM (in response to dMorrow)
Using https works good.
But after using https once, http started to work well again!
Currently Being ModeratedMay 10, 2012 5:57 PM (in response to jorgeportugal)
Worked perfectly. Thank-you!
Currently Being ModeratedMay 10, 2012 8:41 PM (in response to jorgeportugal)
Only works on https. Not sure what is the solution.
Currently Being ModeratedMay 10, 2012 8:46 PM (in response to W.W. Webster)
Posted too soon I guess. I tried Emptying the Cache and it worked! Try doing that and Quit and reopen Safari. Hopefully, it will work.
Currently Being ModeratedMay 10, 2012 9:05 PM (in response to thesaint_dfw)
I'd prefer not to lose the contents of my cache if I don't need to!
Currently Being ModeratedMay 10, 2012 10:22 PM (in response to Pemahoo)
Having the same problem here. Occuring on all my macs and even the ipad. Must be a facebook issue. Https works though.
Currently Being ModeratedMay 10, 2012 10:37 PM (in response to musidogtrek)
Can't be a Facebook issue, as Facebook is working fine for me with other browsers, including Chrome!
Currently Being ModeratedMay 10, 2012 10:44 PM (in response to W.W. Webster)
Having said that, I followed the advice in another thread that worked for me. I went to Facebook > Account Settings > Security > Secure Browsing - and set "browse Facebook on a secure setting (https) when possible".
Everthing seems to be working fine now!
Currently Being ModeratedMay 11, 2012 2:40 PM (in response to W.W. Webster)
I hadn't updated safari to 5.1.7 on any computers, or done anything else. Clearly there is something that has changed in the facebook program that is no longer compatible with safari unless you enable the secure browsing. To reaffirm what you said, with secure browsing enabled, things are working just fine. Love the apple forums, however, I sure wish they would get ahead of these things so we users aren't stuck finding workarounds with such little guidance.
Currently Being ModeratedMay 11, 2012 2:52 PM (in response to musidogtrek)
It's just not the "Apple way" to publically acknowledge any issues, let alone to chime in on these boards with any suggested workarounds or proposed fixes. This place is ostensibly where users help each other - which is very valuable. But even on Adobe's so-called "user to user" forums they have some insiders and other stooges (and even the occasional identified staffer) that drop in from time to time to offer an informed comment.
Currently Being ModeratedMay 14, 2012 10:14 AM (in response to Pemahoo)
This appears to be fixed on the Facebook end. I have been able to turn off secure browsing.
Currently Being ModeratedMay 14, 2012 10:18 AM (in response to Pemahoo)
Working for me w/o secure browsing now as well.
Currently Being ModeratedMay 14, 2012 5:01 PM (in response to musidogtrek)
EDIT: My roomate installed something called peerguardian that was causing problems. Uninstalling that and rebooting fixed everything. Sigh. Time to change all my passwords and lock the door.
My Mac Pro was on 10.7.2, and all was well. I upgraded everything Software Update wanted.
I now have.....
Safari Version 5.1.7 (7534.57.2)
OS X 10.7.4
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_31-b04-415-11M3646)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.6-b01-415, mixed mode)
Now, Facebook images don't load in Safari or Firefox or Chrome in OS X via http or https. Also, my PS3MediaServer (a java DLNA server) no longer works. This happens in my normal user account and a fresh one I just created. Everything works fine using a prehistoric install of XP via Bootcamp.
It seems to be software, and it really looks like it is java related.
Here's the quick and dirty rundown.
Facebook or PS3MS on OS X 10.7.4 on Mac Pro using ethernet - fail
-images don't load in Safari, Firefox, or Chrome
-worked before Software Update
-throws a "java.io.IOException: No route to host" when it tries to connect to my PS3
-worked consistently prior to upgrade
Facebook or PS3MS on Windows XP (Bootcamp) on Mac Pro using ethernet - success
Facebook or PS3MS on OS X 10.7.2 on MacBook Pro using same ethernet cable as Mac Pro - success
Facebook or PS3MS on OS X 10.7.2 on MacBook Pro using Airport - success
Facebook or PS3MS on XP on laptop using Airport - success
Facebook or PS3MS on Windows 7 on laptop using Airport - sucess
It certainly doesn't appear to be a network issue. The fact that the problem started immediately after I ran software update points to software. The fact that my java PMS server stopped working at the same time makes me think that it is something Java related.
Hopefully my troubleshooting will help someone.
Message was edited by: butterybacon