1 117 118 119 120 121 Previous Next 2,266 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2014 2:35 AM by WSR Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • 1,770. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    delventhalz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    And for those of you who are still having this problem, you have two options:

     

    A) If you are a computer novice:

    - install all updates

    - reset your router to its factory settings

    - go into system preferences and reset every wireless preference there is

    - repair your disk permissions

    - reset your PRAM

     

    That's the easy stuff. If that doesn't work, there is one more thing:

    - Take it to a Genius. Keep taking it in until it is fixed or replaced.

     

    B) If you are a bit more adventerous:

    - Google.

     

    This forum and the larger internet have a ton of possible solutions. Most are pretty complicated, some are less so. As near as I can tell the success rate here is not great. So expect to put a lot of time in and don't expect guaranteed results. For whatever reason this is a problem that appears to vary wildly from person to person.

     

     

    When I first started attacking this problem my iMac only dropped when waking from sleep or logging in, but it required me to log into my wifi network every single time. Eventually one solution did fix that, but then it just dropped randomly every 20 minutes or so (without requiring a log-in). Dozens of solutions tried later and my iMac only drops every few days, though when it does it will usually drop over and over again and be unusable for about an hour. That's all I have to show for hours and hours and hours of my time and an OS whose innards probably look like Frankenstein's monster after all the **** I put it through.

     

    My recomendation: Go with option A.

  • 1,771. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    Freducken Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Now that my Wifi is staying connected, a new issue I was having was not being able to wake my iMac over my LAN using my iPhone/iPad using the Remoter VNC App and Sending Wake Up Packet. This has been an issue before, but I chalked it up to the previous issue of the iMac losing the connection altogether. Then I came across this in another forum:

     

    namuh wrote:

    I have an imac with Lion 10.7.3 and a linksys (cisco) router.  I wanted to access it when it was sleeping, but couldn't by wifi, even though the wake on lan option was set. 

     

    After reading a bit about the problem and the various fixes, I was searching in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder and I saw the com.apple.PowerManagement.plist file.  I opened it in an editor, and then noticed a line that had a key of PrioritizeNetworkReachabilityOverSleep.

    The value was 0, so I changed it to 1 and saved the file.

     

    Now I have no trouble accessing the Mac by my iphone, even after it sits overnight.  You may want to try it.

     

     

     

    /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist

     

    I did what he did and it worked! This definitely goes into the category of Apple messing up since the proof is in the Coding. I hope this helps anyone else having the issue. I figured I'd post this, since although not completely on topic, having this issue happen could hinder your troubleshooting of the primary issue .

  • 1,772. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    gphonei Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    My question is this: Why do you go to such illogical lengths to defend this percieved slight against a faceless corporation? The wireless implementation in a complex OS overhaul was flawed. Big whoop. Who cares.

    I'm not trying to say that the original problem was not a problem.  I'm trying to say that as Apple has fixed various problems, people have continued to have "a problem", and said that Apple hasn't fixed things yet.  I was trying to add to the fact that Mark's problem was solved by changing channels, to some degree.   People still need to pay attention to the RF issues even as Apple fixes software problems.  I have new hardware in my family, and we haven't had problems with Lion running on 4 different Macs.  So, I contend that there are problems with the environment which is stimulating the broken software to be visible, that's all.  Once the broken software is fixed so that reconnects/recovery from wireless failures are happening "correctly", your environment may still be impacted by being on an overcrowded channel.

  • 1,773. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    Carlo TD Level 3 Level 3 (550 points)

    The problem is also, many people do not know how to set up their wireless routers -

     

    Unlike the Apple routers, that could be set up wirelessly and effortlessly, Most other routers need to be initially connected by an eithernet cable directly to the computer when initially setting up your primary router or repeater.

     

    And sometimes the routers need some tweaking because let's face it updating the firmware and port numbers on some routers are quite tedious, especially if the router is more than 2 years old.

     

    http://ww.videos-maritimes.com/video-Pw8qaomfcTg

  • 1,774. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    delventhalz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    gphonei wrote:

    I have new hardware in my family, and we haven't had problems with Lion running on 4 different Macs.  So, I contend that there are problems with the environment which is stimulating the broken software to be visible, that's all.

     

    Ah. Now that is likely a correct assertion. Mostly at any rate. Obviously most users are not having pesistent issues. We know that much. There are no official numbers, but I would guess the number is high (thousands?), but not high enough to really put egg on Apple's face. The key factor is that the issue varies a lot from user to user. That generally indicates an upgrade or overhaul at a very deep level in software. You saw this sort of problem with Vista, when suddenly tons of pieces of hardware needed new drivers, many of which didn't exist.

     

    So Apple overhauled the way Lion handles wireless somehow for some reason (probably a good reason), and it doesn't play nice with certain pieces of hardware that don't quite know how to handle it. Atheros chips seem to be having lot of trouble for example.

     

    Another example, my iMac only has issues with my (old) Airport express. My friend's generic router works fine.

     

    Atheros + Snow Leopard + Airport Express == GOOD

    Non-Atheros + Lion + Airport Express == GOOD

    Atheros + Lion + Lynksys == GOOD

    Atheros  + Lion + Airport Express == BAD

     

    Something in that last combo doesn't work well with the new way Lion handles wireless.

     

    Of course, I don't really give a ****, I just want a computer that works. I would have never upgraded the OS if I knew I what was in store for me.

  • 1,775. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    gphonei Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    delventhalz wrote:

     

    gphonei wrote:

    I have new hardware in my family, and we haven't had problems with Lion running on 4 different Macs.  So, I contend that there are problems with the environment which is stimulating the broken software to be visible, that's all.

     

    Ah. Now that is likely a correct assertion. Mostly at any rate. Obviously most users are not having pesistent issues. We know that much. There are no official numbers, but I would guess the number is high (thousands?), but not high enough to really put egg on Apple's face. The key factor is that the issue varies a lot from user to user. That generally indicates an upgrade or overhaul at a very deep level in software. You saw this sort of problem with Vista, when suddenly tons of pieces of hardware needed new drivers, many of which didn't exist.

     

    So Apple overhauled the way Lion handles wireless somehow for some reason (probably a good reason), and it doesn't play nice with certain pieces of hardware that don't quite know how to handle it. Atheros chips seem to be having lot of trouble for example.

     

    We can, of course, speculate for all eternaty.  My guess is that AirPlay devices coming in and out of range, were not behaving quite right, and so someone made some changes in how disconnection was handled to deal with that.  It could also be that there was a revision of the Atheros hardware which required some additional driver support that broke something.  It could be all kinds of things, including faulty code that was dropping the connection itself, and not telling the OS to reconnect.

    Another example, my iMac only has issues with my (old) Airport express. My friend's generic router works fine.

     

    Atheros + Snow Leopard + Airport Express == GOOD

    Non-Atheros + Lion + Airport Express == GOOD

    Atheros + Lion + Lynksys == GOOD

    Atheros  + Lion + Airport Express == BAD

     

    Something in that last combo doesn't work well with the new way Lion handles wireless.

     

    You didn't say whether both routers were tested in the same environment, on the same channel, with the same 802.11 b/g/n selection with the same encryption etc.  It may not of been any of those details that matter, but a specific behavior of the driver.  But, I'm still really interested to know why I've never had problems, if it was a "lion" issue, as opposed to a "lion misbehavior when WiFi is messed up"...

  • 1,776. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    antrozous Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)

    I posted a message 2 weeks ago, suffering from the same random wifi loss.

    I bought myself a TimeCapsule and created a wifi network from it, from which all my idevices (iMac, iphone 4S and 3Gs and my girlfirend's ipad 2) connect to. I haven't had any wifi loss since....

    It has only been a week, but I would encounter this problem at least once a day in the past.

    So if anyone has a time machine, could he try to create a wifi network from it and see if this problem still occures?

  • 1,777. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    Carlo TD Level 3 Level 3 (550 points)

    Screen Shot 2012-05-12 at 3.16.28 AM.png

    Screen Shot 2012-05-12 at 3.25.55 AM.png

  • 1,778. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    WSR Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)

    antrozous wrote:

     

    I posted a message 2 weeks ago, suffering from the same random wifi loss.

    I bought myself a TimeCapsule and created a wifi network from it, from which all my idevices (iMac, iphone 4S and 3Gs and my girlfirend's ipad 2) connect to. I haven't had any wifi loss since....

    It has only been a week, but I would encounter this problem at least once a day in the past.

    So if anyone has a time machine, could he try to create a wifi network from it and see if this problem still occures?

     

    I've said the same thing fixed my issues here a few times... and it works whether it's 2.4 or 5Ghz. My old router was supplying the WiFi before and I knew perfectly well it wasn't caused by interference from cross bands, or microwaves, cordless phones, or any other such stuff. I'm in a quiet cul-de-sac and the misbehaviour started the moment my new Lion MB Pro turned up.

  • 1,779. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    antrozous Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)

    But then, in this case, I don't see what the problem can be. I know it's up to the Apple's tech team to figure it out, but I just don't understand what the problem can be...?

  • 1,780. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    Mark Webber Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    although i was sceptical, since switching to channel 11 a couple of days ago, the signal hasn't yet dropped out. (fingers' crossed ...) thanks everyone who has helped me on this thread.

     

    if i do end up changing my router, it's unlikely that i would buy an airport or time capsule - i've been thinking of a Billion BiPAC 7300N or 7800N. would this be a good move ?

  • 1,781. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    JelleOSX Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    10.7.4 and the misery continues...again and again.

    It's enough for me, I'm downgrading to snow leopard today.

    How hard can it be for one of the biggest companies on the planet to find a solution for such a basic feature?

    Even Microsoft is doing better I guess.

  • 1,782. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    delventhalz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    antrozous wrote:

     

    But then, in this case, I don't see what the problem can be. I know it's up to the Apple's tech team to figure it out, but I just don't understand what the problem can be...?

     

    Lines of code. Thousands, if not millions, of lines of code.

     

    Here let me cook up a little example:

     

    * * * *

     

    Let's say one of the lines in 10.6's wifi code, not a very important one, says "I love cake."

    Cake, of course, is inherently insecure, so in 10.7, they changed that line to "I love pie."

     

    Now, for most hardware, most of the time, this is fine, because they are looking for the code "I love <dessert>." Any dessert will do.

     

    But for some pieces of hardware out there, certain wireless chips, or certain routers, or maybe just when certain pieces of hardware are combined, they are more picky, they look for "I love cake." But you updated to Lion, and suddenly, they can't find it. In a panic, your WiFi explodes killing millions.

     

    * * * *

    This is why any new piece of software, especially an OS, needs to go through a ton of testing on a variety of hardware and combinations of hardware. You just never know where little incompattibilities like this could pop up. Windows has a particularly hard time of this. There are tens of thousands, if not millions, of different possible Windows machines out there, and just as many peripherals. In Apple's case, I'm not quite sure how they missed this one, particularly since I am using all Apple hardware (iMac + Airport Express). In the past, there stuff has always "just worked," which is why I've been willing to pay a premium for it at times. I guess that's not true for me anymore.

     

    But I'm not an Apple engineer, so who knows, maybe it was unavoidable.

  • 1,783. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    patplusplus Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)

    I am currently investigating with an Apple engineer to identify where the problem comes from. It seems to be linked to dns resolution. (not clear yet why this only happens with Wi-Fi).

     

    Try to do the following: Go to System Preferences->Network->WiFi->Advanced->DNS

    and set the DNS to google DNS: 8.8.8.8

     

    Please report if this helps or not.

  • 1,784. Re: Wifi Constantly Dropping in Lion
    WSR Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)

    patplusplus wrote:

     

    I am currently investigating with an Apple engineer to identify where the problem comes from. It seems to be linked to dns resolution. (not clear yet why this only happens with Wi-Fi).

     

    Try to do the following: Go to System Preferences->Network->WiFi->Advanced->DNS

    and set the DNS to google DNS: 8.8.8.8

     

    Please report if this helps or not.

    Your friendly Applecare engineer got that from a Level 1 script. I'm sure it's been tried here already (without success), but think about it.... Wi Fi dropping due to a DNS entry?.... I don't think so.