Skip navigation

New iPad overheating?

387562 Views 1,338 Replies Latest reply: Dec 25, 2013 2:07 AM by Gordon Phillips RSS Branched to a new discussion.
  • Apple fan from Tampa Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2012 6:25 PM (in response to Kim Hill1)

    Kim you are obviously working for an apple competitor.

    Why do I say this?

    Anyone whom posts anything about an iPad that has heat problems you bash, insult, and call a liar.

    That person usually becomes very upset by your posts and will continue to reply with further anger.

    This accomplishes your goal by keeping this forum alive with lots of negative things said about the iPad.

    The more people you can **** off, The more people respond with negative things about their iPad and you have accomplished your goal.

    Apple should take action against you and posters should ignore this person.

    Just watch, he will post a response to this that will insult. He/she will say I have multiple Id's which is a lie. All to anger me and to cause me to respond.

    If you post here about a hot iPad just watch out for Kim and ignore.

  • Apple fan from Tampa Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2012 6:54 PM (in response to Encrypted11)

    No Tampa is not going anywhere.

    I was hoping to see if anyone else had luck with the update helping with the temp.

    I'm being directed to order 15-20 ipads for my office and this would be nice to know.

  • Kim Hill1 Level 2 Level 2 (160 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2012 8:11 PM (in response to Encrypted11)

    Encrypted11 wrote:

     

    Think you're a judge? You already lost practically all the credibility you had. This would still hold water better than your derogatory remarks.

     

    ...says a guy who asserts that iPads running 4ºF cooler than body temperature should be returned.

     

    Encrypted11, there's no one in this thread who has peddled more nonsense than you. You know enough to pad your claims with quasi-technical lingo, and I'm confident that you believe what you're saying — but it would be a shame if anyone else did.

  • JimHdk Level 7 Level 7 (21,645 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2012 9:02 PM (in response to Encrypted11)

    Encrypted11 wrote: "Think you're a judge? You already lost practically all the credibility you had. This would still hold water better than your derogatory remarks"

     

    Sorry, but Kim Hill1 is correct on all counts:

     

    1. 95° is the maximum mbient temperature that the iPad is designed to operate in. It has nothing to do with the operating temperature of any iPad components.

     

    2. Environmental (ambient) temperature has nothing to do with the operating temperature of the iPad.

     

    3. 34.6° C is certainly well within the normal operating temperature of the iPad. Anyone who told you otherwise either didn't know what they were talking about or you misunderstood them.

  • JimHdk Level 7 Level 7 (21,645 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2012 9:15 PM (in response to Apple fan from Tampa)

    Apple Fan from Tampa wrote: "Kim you are obviously working for an apple competitor".

     

    This is not true and Kim's posts have been quite accurate and certainly more to the point than much of the hyperbole, inaccuracy, and hysteria that has plagued this thread. It's clear that Kim has chosen to challenge those who have posted incorrect or exaggerated claims and the controversy resulting is simply because those posters don't like being contradicted even if they are in the wrong.

     

    Frankly, the new ipad heat issue has completely disappeared in the computer press. It's simply a non-issue. This thread continues on simply because some people love to have an argument.

  • Apple fan from Tampa Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2012 10:19 PM (in response to JimHdk)

    Wow JimHdk I didn't know you were so close to Kim Hill that you know for certain he/she is not an Apple competitor.

     

    I also noticed you post your messages exactly as Kim does, with a quote from someone's post followed by a statement.

    Like a robot your posts sound scripted like they are coming from a call center in India, almost exactly like Kim's posts.

    And now that Kim's integrity is in question, you seem so interested in defending Kim and making him/her look so good.

    How nice of you to place Kim on a pedestal.

     

    I would almost have to think that JimHdk is Kim Hill but who am I to judge, hah.

  • shortcuts Calculating status...
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2012 10:44 PM (in response to faatty)

    Well it is pretty clear that there is no ADVICE to be had here anymore. I am done with logging in to read an ongoing argument between some childish dicks who just can't let it go.

     

    This whole thread should maybe get locked now as it's usefulness is questionable. I'm out of here.

     

    Bye bye children!!

  • JimHdk Level 7 Level 7 (21,645 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2012 10:53 PM (in response to Apple fan from Tampa)

    Kim's right and you're wrong. It's as simple as that. There is nothing in his posts to suggest that he is working for a competitor. That's complete speculation on your part and your arguments to that effect don't make any sense. What is keeping this thread alive is misinformation, pure obstinency or just plain trolling.

     

    Learn how the forum works and what member points mean. Members with points and longevity on the forum have credibility. You really don't have any credibility or appear to know what you are talking about. "Robot responses" and "call centers in India"? Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Just nonsense as is a lot of this thread.

     

    I'd advise anyone who is having a real problem with their iPad to ignore this stupid thread. It's simply full of nonsense and misinformation. Posting here is a waste of time; you won't get any help here and Apple isn't monitoring these forums for bug reports. The forum is not a complaint department. There is a specfic channel to give feedback to Apple http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html If you feel that you have a heat problem with your iPad you should contact Apple Support or visit an Apple for help and resolution.

  • elmoglick Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2012 11:05 PM (in response to Kim Hill1)

    Not sure why body temperature is relevant in this discussion besides general familiarity as a point of reference.

     

    Skin temperature, however,  is generally 15-20 degrees cooler than internal, so a device above 80 degrees or so should feel warm to the touch.  I have

    an infrared heat scanner and have gotten readings as high as 95, which felt slightly warm. But definitely not annoyingly so.

    I would guess this is nominal behavior for the new iPad.

     

    Someone suggested earlier that iOS 5.1.1 may have an effect on heat generation. Lack of substantiation by anyone else makes me think this may just be wishful

    thinking, however.

  • Kim Hill1 Level 2 Level 2 (160 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 12, 2012 11:30 PM (in response to JimHdk)

    JimHdk wrote:

     

    ...Kim's posts have been quite accurate and certainly more to the point than much of the hyperbole, inaccuracy, and hysteria that has plagued this thread. It's clear that Kim has chosen to challenge those who have posted incorrect or exaggerated claims and the controversy resulting is simply because those posters don't like being contradicted even if they are in the wrong.

     

    Thanks, Jim. Of course, you're right about temperature issues disappearing in the press, too. As I said a couple of weeks ago:

     

    ...the world has moved on. I've posted here because I find the trollery and BS irritating — not because of any illusion of having an impact.

     

    The world has indeed moved on- what's left is the bickering. But the trollery and BS here still irritate me enough to respond.

  • Kim Hill1 Level 2 Level 2 (160 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 13, 2012 12:18 AM (in response to elmoglick)

    elmoglick wrote:

     

    Not sure why body temperature is relevant in this discussion besides general familiarity as a point of reference.

     

    Skin temperature, however,  is generally 15-20 degrees cooler than internal, so a device above 80 degrees or so should feel warm to the touch.  I have

    an infrared heat scanner and have gotten readings as high as 95, which felt slightly warm. But definitely not annoyingly so.

    I would guess this is nominal behavior for the new iPad.

     

    Body temperature is relevant both as a general reference point, and in relation to claims of individuals feeling "burned" or "singed." Your "15-20 degree" skin temperature difference is overstated as well. If you check the web, you'll see values more in the 3-5ºC range, e.g. http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2001/AbantyFarzana.shtml

  • katinak67 Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 13, 2012 1:56 AM (in response to JimHdk)

    I would just love to put you all in a room and shut the door and watch from afar. That's what my mom always threatened when my siblings and I wouldn't stop fighting FOR NO GOOD REASON.

    That shut us up in a quick minute.

    Although sadly I think that wouldn't be the case here...you'd probably kill each other.

    What a shame some can't just agree to disagree. I mean, really, what exactly is the point at this point in this discussion?

    Smh, smh, smh.

    I am sad that you all are treating each other so wretchedly.

    Someone...moderator? Please, PLEASE pull this thread, it served its purpose and is now dying an ugly damaging death.

  • katinak67 Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 13, 2012 2:00 AM (in response to shortcuts)

    I agree with each word in your post! 100%! I would love to see this entire thread GONE tomorrow.

  • Christis Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 13, 2012 2:28 AM (in response to katinak67)

    Me I bought new iPad wifi version 2 days  a go I am using it almost with out  stop ...perhaps the new iPads now do not have this problem ? I do not know ...when I bought it  from the local shop here in Cyprus the showroom iPad was really hot I thought it was going to explode .... It's now 2 months I was searching for that problem listening people who has it ...but finally I got (it was out of stock now 2 weeks no where was available) I honestly do not have this problem ....I think the first generation of iPad has problem and apple must replace all those faulty ipads. Me I was going to take it back and ask new one.

    Ok iPad 2 it was always cool and for new iPad I feel that is warm and sure I do not like also . I have the iOS 5.1.1. I am here on the forum almost 1,5 hours and my iPad it's ok just little bit warm next to charging plug that's it.

  • Encrypted11 Level 2 Level 2 (350 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 13, 2012 3:34 PM (in response to JimHdk)

    JimHdk wrote:

     

    Encrypted11 wrote: "Think you're a judge? You already lost practically all the credibility you had. This would still hold water better than your derogatory remarks"

     

    Sorry, but Kim Hill1 is correct on all counts:

     

    1. 95° is the maximum mbient temperature that the iPad is designed to operate in. It has nothing to do with the operating temperature of any iPad components.

     

    2. Environmental (ambient) temperature has nothing to do with the operating temperature of the iPad.

     

    3. 34.6° C is certainly well within the normal operating temperature of the iPad. Anyone who told you otherwise either didn't know what they were talking about or you misunderstood them.

    1. You're saying you never got an iPad with heating issues.
    2. You're trying to say you know when does the variable drain rate kick in. As compared to someone who held 3 New iPads and has the ability to tell when does that increased drain kick in.
    3. You're the scenario as though everything in the iPad is living in exclusion from the battery and truncating the justification by omitting other posts containing relevant factors.

    If you never seen when does the battery literally sweat, then you won't know the temperatures you should look out for.

     

    Are you even helping out people in this thread? How many have you helped?

     

    p.s. I won't even get personal with Kim who already has enough embarrasment in the low 60s pages.

1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 ... 90 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (14)

Legend

  • This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.