5 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2012 6:50 AM by mishmumken
teresafromia Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm brand new to apple computers and brand new to Final Cut Pro.  Can I make a menu so I can have more than one short movie on a DVD?  How do I do this.  I put Menu in help and searched but it didn't come up with anything.

 

Keep it simple, I'm not much of a computer person, but I want to get all my old tapes onto DVD and make them interesting.  I'm not too young so computers are not natural to me, but I can learn.

 

Thanks for your help.

  • 1. Re: Can I make menus in Final Cut Pro X?
    Karsten Schlüter Level 7 Level 7 (29,885 points)

    FCPX is a video-editor, no DVD authoring tool.

     

    yes, there is a very rudimentary 'disk' feature ...

    but creating disks for delivery is on MacOS meanwhile obsolete.

     

    for the total beginner, Apple's own iDVD was a brain-dead simple tool, offering superb ready-made templates plus the option to create by just drag'n drop your very own designs.

     

    ... only avail in boxed versions of iLife09 ... maybe eBay, maybe in the outer rims of Walmart, Illinois ...

     

    other options are described in any 2nd thread here at ASC, complaining 'DVD making' ....

  • 2. Re: Can I make menus in Final Cut Pro X?
    Goldfish Level 2 Level 2 (355 points)

    Karsten -  chapter markers do not necessarily need to be associated with optical media.

    And the OP was not asking FCP to author a DVD, but rather simply produce chapter markers.

     

    It is a perfectly legitimate question as to why chapter markers are absent. Regardless of what sort of delivery method is used, the use of chapter markers will be a valuable tool for viewing long movies. Whether it's a consumer skipping to a predefined point in a movie or another editor skipping to specific points within an existing project.

    Which, by the way fits quite nicely with Apples new meta data file management scheme.

     

    So if you want to join the "optical no longer exists" herd, that's fine.

    But why should Authoring an elegant presentation be absent for virtual delivery too?

    And asking for chapter markers which can be recognized by emerging technologies while still supporting legacy technologies is a fair request.

     

    This topic comes up every day:

    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3971197?tstart=0

     

    Send some feedback to Apple

    http://www.apple.com/feedback/finalcutpro.html

     

    Best,

    g

  • 3. Re: Can I make menus in Final Cut Pro X?
    Karsten Schlüter Level 7 Level 7 (29,885 points)

    Goldfish wrote:

     

    Karsten -  chapter markers do not necessarily need to be associated with optical media.

    And the OP was not asking FCP to author a DVD, but rather simply produce chapter markers.

    goldfish, I'm assuming you're answering a different post ...

    because the OP's question doesn't mention chapters at all:

     

     

    teresafromia wrote:

     

    I'm brand new to apple computers and brand new to Final Cut Pro.  Can I make a menu so I can have more than one short movie on a DVD?  How do I do this.  I put Menu in help and searched but it didn't come up with anything.

     

    Keep it simple, I'm not much of a computer person, but I want to get all my old tapes onto DVD and make them interesting.  I'm not too young so computers are not natural to me, but I can learn.

     

    Thanks for your help.

     

    '… I can have more than one short movie on DVD …' means not 'chapters', but adding two/many individual movies to a single disk... and that asks for an authoring tool, not markers

     

    next week, I'll posting a user-tip in the iMovie section of this board, 'bout the options to create disks on newer Macs, which don't come pre-installed with iDVD.

  • 4. Re: Can I make menus in Final Cut Pro X?
    Goldfish Level 2 Level 2 (355 points)

    Karsten Schlüter wrote:

    goldfish, I'm assuming you're answering a different post ...

    because the OP's question doesn't mention chapters at all:

     

    You're absolutely right. My comments probably would have made more sense on any of the dozens of other Chapter Marker threads that pop up daily like the link I included.

    I guess I took the liberty of reading between the lines because chapter markers are the underpinnings of menu creation. And although the OP was admittedly not sure how to even ask his question It was obvious to me that the missing component was the ability to write and include chapter markers in his exported (Shared) movie.

     

    It just seems odd to me that Apple would include the ability to "Share" a movie to DVD but not provide the ability to write chapter markers. AKA "menu".

     

    best,

    g

  • 5. Re: Can I make menus in Final Cut Pro X?
    mishmumken Level 5 Level 5 (4,000 points)

    Chapter markers and menus are two separate things, although they may work together. Chapter markers are available in Compressor. Multiple videos on one disc are possible in iDVD, Toast, DVDSP, and Adobe Encore.