1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2012 6:03 AM by petermac87
j.jimenez Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

This is simply idiotic. Is there ANY way to disable this?

 

I dont like at all the feature, but maybe i could live with it if i were not loosing files. I'm glad i noticed it only after a day of work. they give an option to disable this or i im giving my mac to my wife.

 

Also, i dont know who the **** designed this feature, but not everyone working on a file wants to save it, i need to touch a lot of files in a day, sometimes just to get to something i can copy and paste in my final document, if i have to bother about wich "version" was the good one and wich one is not... its like i now have twice the work.

 

This is not making my experience simpler, its complicating my work to the max.

 

On top of that, versions and autosave does not work as it is supposed over network (my work is on a RAID NAS, not on my ssd), but it tries to save the file every fu**ing time. I do a lot of copy/cut/paste from files i just dont want to save, and today i had to look for 4 files into my backup just to recover them. That means Lion make me loose information. Something a reliable OS should not be doing nowadays.


Mac OS X (10.7.2)
  • 1. Re: I want to disable versions and autosave
    Kurt Lang Level 7 Level 7 (31,990 points)

    You are far from the only one who wants to be able to turn this "feature" off. Some love it, and I have no issue with that, but it was a huge mistake to not make it an option.

  • 2. Re: I want to disable versions and autosave
    Tom in London Level 4 Level 4 (1,585 points)

    j.jimenez wrote:

     

    This is simply idiotic. Is there ANY way to disable this?

     

    I dont like at all the feature, but maybe i could live with it if i were not loosing files. I'm glad i noticed it only after a day of work. they give an option to disable this or i im giving my mac to my wife.

     

    Also, i dont know who the **** designed this feature, but not everyone working on a file wants to save it, i need to touch a lot of files in a day, sometimes just to get to something i can copy and paste in my final document, if i have to bother about wich "version" was the good one and wich one is not... its like i now have twice the work.

     

    This is not making my experience simpler, its complicating my work to the max.

     

    On top of that, versions and autosave does not work as it is supposed over network (my work is on a RAID NAS, not on my ssd), but it tries to save the file every fu**ing time. I do a lot of copy/cut/paste from files i just dont want to save, and today i had to look for 4 files into my backup just to recover them. That means Lion make me loose information. Something a reliable OS should not be doing nowadays.

     

    Jiminez, you're one of many.

     

    I have my own list of 30 reasons why Lion s***s. Until they're all fixed I'm staying with Snow Leopard, although I fear Apple has gone down the toilet with Lion and no-one is willing to put a hand down there and fish it out.

     

    Autosave is one of them, and Versions is another.

     

    Another, uh, feature you haven't found yet is that all your files will be automatically locked after a certain number of days. Don't ask me why. But it's a royal PITA. The Apple fanboys think it's absolutely fantastic.

     

    I feel sorry for your wife. Don't do this to her. You might L-O-S-E her.

  • 3. Re: I want to disable versions and autosave
    Pondini Level 8 Level 8 (38,720 points)

    Tom in London wrote:

    Another, uh, feature you haven't found yet is that all your files will be automatically locked after a certain number of days.

    The default is 2 weeks.  That can be changed, or locking turned-off entirely, via Time Machine Preferences > Options.

  • 4. Re: I want to disable versions and autosave
    Stupidd Looser Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    Check out this post

  • 5. Re: I want to disable versions and autosave
    petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (4,205 points)

    Stupidd Looser wrote:

     

    Check out this post

    Post is 6 months old and Lion is about to be replaced. Most have gotten used to it and I have grown to actually love the feature. A very complicated hack, by the way, for a harmless feature. An option may  be forthcoming in ML.

     

    Pete

  • 6. Re: I want to disable versions and autosave
    j.jimenez Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    thanks A LOT

  • 7. Re: I want to disable versions and autosave
    j.jimenez Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    that does not mean the hack is not usefull, i still hate the feature as much as the first day, and also, mountain lion coming out does not mean im upgrading.

     

    I have like 40 macs on my customers still on snow leopard because autosave was a ****, complete disaster for their workflows.

     

    You can't throw a whole new filing paradigm to the users and pretend them to be productive instantly.

     

    I'm using lion myself since gm, and still find the feature disturbing. I lost information for god shake, and thats me being an experienced user. Imagine what can be done by an average user.

     

    And of course there is the backup thing... people counting on autosave to keep versioning nice. but only if their hard drive dont say byebye...

     

    This hack should have been an option from the day 1

     

    thank you very much to the one who found it

  • 8. Re: I want to disable versions and autosave
    Stupidd Looser Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    petermac87 wrote:

     

    Stupidd Looser wrote:

     

    Check out this post

    Post is 6 months old and Lion is about to be replaced. Most have gotten used to it and I have grown to actually love the feature. A very complicated hack, by the way, for a harmless feature. An option may  be forthcoming in ML.

     

    Pete

     

    Not sure how entering a command in Terminal is complicated, and it's certainly not a hack (it's a hidden preference setting).

     

    Also, most people get used to all forms of tyranny, but there will always be a minority that refuse to give in (and in the end sets everybody free).

  • 9. Re: I want to disable versions and autosave
    petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (4,205 points)

    j.jimenez wrote:

     

    This hack should have been an option from the day 1

     

    No hack can be an option. An option is an option. Glad you have had your isue answered successfully and have now marked it as closed.

     

    Cheers

     

    Pete

  • 10. Re: I want to disable versions and autosave
    petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (4,205 points)

    Stupidd Looser wrote:

     

    Not sure how entering a command in Terminal is complicated, and it's certainly not a hack (it's a hidden preference setting).

     

    A command? One Command?? Read it again. It is a hack. Whether it works or not, it is not a preference feature.

     

    Cheers

     

    Pete

  • 11. Re: I want to disable versions and autosave
    Stupidd Looser Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    Do you know what happens when you change a setting in System Preferences? It writes the setting to a property list. Do you know what a defaults command does? It writes the setting to a ******* property list.

     

    <Edited By Host>

  • 12. Re: I want to disable versions and autosave
    petermac87 Level 5 Level 5 (4,205 points)

    Stupidd Looser wrote:

     

    Do you know what happens when you change a setting in System Preferences? It writes the setting to a property list. Do you know what a defaults command does? It writes the setting to a ******* property list.

     

    <Edited By Host>

    Thank goodness this thread has been closed!

     

    Bye

     

    Pete

  • 13. Re: I want to disable versions and autosave
    j.jimenez Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

    A hidden preference (if you want to call it this way) it's not a user preference. And not only it's hidden, but also poorly (if any) documented, since it took that long to show up.

     

    Anyway, i'm glad glad glad you took the time to post this here, i already gave up on this. (and switched from pages, numbers to office, and stopped using preview)

  • 14. Re: I want to disable versions and autosave
    Stupidd Looser Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    petermac87 wrote:

     

    Stupidd Looser wrote:

     

    Do you know what happens when you change a setting in System Preferences? It writes the setting to a property list. Do you know what a defaults command does? It writes the setting to a ******* property list.

     

    <Edited By Host>

    Thank goodness this thread has been closed!

     

    Bye

     

    Pete

     

    Actually, the thread hasn't been closed, so try again, yuppie.

1 2 Previous Next