2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 1, 2012 5:19 AM by mtb_monster
Mackguyflorida Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I called support, did all the "rebuild database" and "repair database" stuff, to no avail. Here's the issue, I have some 100,000+ images in Aperture, the library resides on an external Promise Pegasus R6 Thunderbolt drive. Everything on machine and drive working 100%. There are several image types in there from Nikon Raw (D80, D90, D300, D700 and D800) , Leica Raw (M8 and M9), Hasselblad Raw (H3DII-50) and of course standard stuff like TIFF and JPG/JPEG.

 

I open Aperture and immediately it begins "processing" 11,190 images, every time I open it. Same number every time. This ***** system resources to the point where Aperture is unusable and I either have to kill off the process with "cancel task" or wait the hour till it finishes. Once finished or process cancelled, everything works fine. Can't be healthy for the database to keep cancelling processing tasks and cannot for the life of me figure out why it keeps doing that. Again, already called Apple support and they had no solution.

 

Anyone have the same issue? Anyone have a solution? Everything on system is up-to-date, using latest greatest revision of Aperture, latest version of OSX, etc. etc.

 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

  • 1. Re: Aperture non-stop processing of select files
    Mackguyflorida Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    oh, and if you want to see it, (about as exciting as watching paint dry) you can watch screenshot video here.....processing, processing, processing.....

     

    http://gallery.me.com/beltfed#101099

  • 2. Re: Aperture non-stop processing of select files
    mtb_monster Level 1 Level 1 (35 points)

    I had the same issue too about 3 or 4 months back. It occured with the same Aperture Library on both my MacBook (2008) and 27" iMac. Around 30k images referenced on Aperture 3.2.x. The number of images I had processing was (nearly) always the same - around 11k images. Number would increase slightly after I imported new images and then stay the same until the next import.

     

    I didn't find any information about others on the forums experiencing this at the time.

     

    I found repairing the database had little effect but rebuilding the database worked on both machines. Once fixed the problem has not reoccurred. I know in your post you said you had tried repairing / rebuilding the database but the rebuild option worked for me.

     

    Good luck and let us know if you find a solution that works for you.