Currently Being ModeratedApr 13, 2012 8:18 PM (in response to Peaeye)
Scroll to the bottom of > Time Machine - Frequently Asked Questions 12. Should I delete old backups? If so, How?iMac, Mac Mini, iPad, iPods, Mac OS X (10.6.8), (10.7.3) Safari, iTunes, iPhoto
Currently Being ModeratedJun 9, 2012 8:11 AM (in response to Peaeye)
An easy, but somewhat time consuming way to fix this is the following:
1. Buy an external hard drive from a store with an easy returns policy (target is great).
2. Transfer all the files you want to keep from the old HD (the one you have the time machine backups on) to the new HD. This can take a very long time depending on the amount of information you are transferring. 1.25T took about 12 hours.
3. Format the original HD using Disk Utility. This will also get rid of the trashed backups.
4. Transfer all the files back from new HD to original HD.
5. Format the new HD and return it to the store.
This is pretty much foolproof, but is annoying. In the future, partition your external HD, so you can format only the parts you don't want.