Here's How to Show Hidden Files and Folders in OS X:
- Open Terminal. If you do not know how to open Terminal, follow steps 2 and 3 below; otherwise, skip to step 4.
- To open Terminal, click Spotlight
- Type terminal and press the enter/return key.
- At the terminal prompt, type (or copy/paste) the following:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
- To reverse the step (i.e. re-hide hidden files and folders, open Terminal and type the following:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
- Keep in mind that there will be many hidden files and folders. These are generally critical operating system and configuration files and should not be deleted or modified unless you are certain of its role.